I am sad

petitepedal

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

I have that same feeling of wanting to go home...that I had as the Virus thing was breaking out and I was in Nebrasks..safe at home...even the LGS by work is boarding up windows..one of their little St. Paul stores was hit last night.:(

I like Nebraska.  People are friendly and polite there. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah the rioting & looting really pisses me off.  Police are murderers so let’s loot the Target store & burn down our city.  That will teach them!

Stupid...

And then get mad when the stores refuse to rebuild in your neighborhood. 

It's a select few that are recking it for everyone else. 

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That will teach them!

The big challenge is that NOTHING seems to teach anyone anything :(

We had the black guy killed after being chased by the two white guys (sheriff friends).  Nothing happened...until video and outcry, but still very close to the "good old days". TBD on the final outcome.

We had the EMT gal shot dead in her own apartment.  We'll see where this goes, but that no body cam footage is available (to my knowledge) is damning - either it exists and is withheld or it doesn't exist, but should, or it doesn't exist & a police force in America thinks that's a good idea.

Finally, this choking to death incident by a cop.

Seems every year we repeat the problem, and then act surprised that folks are restless.  Angry. Irrational.  At some point, this killing - for no real reason - has to end. Period.

• Heart 4

17 minutes ago, BR46 said:

And then get mad when the stores refuse to rebuild in your neighborhood. 

It's a select few that are recking it for everyone else. 

Many of those select few don't live there and don't care.  Some others are young and don't care either.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We had the black guy killed after being chased by the two white guys (sheriff friends).  Nothing happened...until video and outcry, but still very close to the "good old days". TBD on the final outcome.

We had the EMT gal shot dead in her own apartment.  We'll see where this goes, but that no body cam footage is available (to my knowledge) is damning - either it exists and is withheld or it doesn't exist, but should, or it doesn't exist & a police force in America thinks that's a good idea.

Seems every year we repeat the problem, and then act surprised that folks are restless.  Angry. Irrational.  At some point, this killing - for no real reason - has to end. Period.

They should be angry.  The should be marching and protesting.  It's the right thing to do.  Burning and looting isn't protesting.  But where there is protesting there are people who want to take advantage of it for themselves.

• Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Reads like the mayor and folks just let it happen, rather than shoring things up after the tragic event. They just got people out of the way and let them have at it. This incident has led to a lot of tragedy for many innocent folks. However, as you mention, it has been brewing from recent incidents, and I might add all the way from when the pro football and soccer players were kneeling in protest of injustice.  I am sure you noticed how far that got them, being chastised from 'on high'! This type of thing will continue to happen as long as there are ass holes on both sides, and angry confrontation is being promoted over the air ways and the internet. Don't get me wrong, as I'm not condoning this on either side. This is just me letting off a little steam, as I am continually dismayed that people don't seem to see these things coming and be proactive in doing something about it.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They should be angry.  The should be marching and protesting.  It's the right thing to do.  Burning and looting isn't protesting.  But where there is protesting there are people who want to take advantage of it for themselves.

I agree, but we've done the marching and protesting for over 60 years (!), so while the burning and looting is clearly not the best path, I'm challenged to think of a time when burning and looting weren't coupled with a police shooting of a black person (other than NCAA or other sports "celebrations"). 

My gut tells me the high road - fixing the problem of minorities killed unjustly by law enforcement (and/or holding folks accountable) -  is the only path forward, so that there is no need for highly emotionally charged marches and protests.  No marches like that, and no opportunity for burning and looting.

It's easy to spot an arsonist or burglar when there aren't hundreds of other folks around to hide/shield them.

• Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I agree, but we've done the marching and protesting for over 60 years (!), so while the burning and looting is clearly not the best path, I'm challenged to think of a time when burning and looting weren't coupled with a police shooting of a black person (other than NCAA or other sports "celebrations"). 

My gut tells me the high road - fixing the problem of minorities killed unjustly by law enforcement (and/or holding folks accountable) -  is the only path forward, so that there is no need for highly emotionally charged marches and protests.  No marches like that, and no opportunity for burning and looting.

It's easy to spot an arsonist or burglar when there aren't hundreds of other folks around to hide/shield them.

Watts.  Although the undercurrent of racial suppression was a motivating force, the incident was a DWI stop in which an argument between mother and drunk son turned into a bumping and pushing match leading to a false story that a pregnant mother had been injured by police.  37 deaths later it became a historic event.  No shooting needed.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Watts.  Although the undercurrent of racial suppression was a motivating force, the incident was a DWI stop in which an argument between mother and drunk son turned into a bumping and pushing match leading to a false story that a pregnant mother had been injured by police.  37 deaths later it became a historic event.  No shooting needed.

And 30 years later what happened in LA...

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

And 30 years later what happened in LA...

I don't claim that the underlying reasons have gotten any better.  It was just a response to a question about a riot without a shooting to precipitate it.  I consider Rodney King to be the equivalent of a shooting.  Our cities may see more flame than ever before this coming summer.  Shelter at home is not aiding the issues involved here.  Our government is making stupid noises about shooting.

• Heart 1

I think the rioting an looting is really a bad idea.  But I'll never understand why some people think it is, because I don't walk in their shoes.

I can say, with each of these incidents, where cops get off easy, I am understanding the frustration a bit more.

How many days did it take to charge this cop with THIRD DEGREE murder and manslaughter?  This was so clearly a murder, fully intentional and fully preventable.   Cops stand around watching a murder, they normally try to stop it, or at least immediately arrest the murderer.  Any other murder gets charged immediately.  This guy is just walking around on admin leave.  And the cops who watched him do it, knew what was happening, did nothing, and get no charges.

No wonder people are pissed.  I'm pissed!

3 minutes ago, 12string said:

I think the rioting an looting is really a bad idea.  But I'll never understand why some people think it is, because I don't walk in their shoes.

I can say, with each of these incidents, where cops get off easy, I am understanding the frustration a bit more.

How many days did it take to charge this cop with THIRD DEGREE murder and manslaughter?  This was so clearly a murder, fully intentional and fully preventable.   Cops stand around watching a murder, they normally try to stop it, or at least immediately arrest the murderer.  Any other murder gets charged immediately.  This guy is just walking around on admin leave.  And the cops who watched him do it, knew what was happening, did nothing, and get no charges.

No wonder people are pissed.  I'm pissed!

History says that charging 1st degree murder is a potential losing case in court where laws seem so very specific as to intent and reason.  Many prosecuting attorneys have seen the jury blow their case away because they overcharged.  Police shooting cases are very fragile where some witness can always describe the actions taken as necessary.

It sucks, but maybe better to take what can be gotten than to lose again.

I understand the looting.  People like you are getting killed on the reg and nobody is really doing anything to stop it, and you have no job and you keep having bad things happen at every turn to people in your immediate community, then you riot, you lash out.  The system has nothing for you, it takes and does not give and shits all over you, just what the fuck do you think is going to happen?  "Dammit, I am at least gonna get something out of this bullshit, I am busting into target and getting all the shit I need for the baby, grandma, and dad, who also have been repeatedly shit on and harassed.  Society doesn't give a shit about me, I don't give a shit about society".

It is frustration and acting out, and why should they play what they consider a rigged game?  I don't know what to do about it, but I get the point.   We all think "What horrible people, looting and rioting" when they are thinking the same about us.

Currently, it’s too easy for the powers that be to let the people get angry,  let the few vandalize and loot, then vilify the entire community as thugs and thieves. They then use it to justify their actions when dealing with that community.