Jump to content

Recommended Posts



I like it. Did you steal it?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duuuuuude!  Freaking bad ass!  

You going to run it tubeless or with tubes?  (Strongly recommend tubeless off road).  That’s a sweet ride, enjoy!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Duuuuuude!  Freaking bad ass!  

You going to run it tubeless or with tubes?  (Strongly recommend tubeless off road).  That’s a sweet ride, enjoy!

It comes installed with "tubeless" ready (Pathfinder Pro, 2Bliss Ready tires and DT Swiss G540 rims) but is currently using tubes, so my plan is to get everything dialed in and comfortable, and then to swap out to the tubeless later on down the road.  Definitely, since they're ready to be set up tubeless, tubeless is going to be the first real change I make.

In the meantime, it's stuff like bottle cages, seeing how the rack can fit, looking at fender options, etc.  Also, it is mechanical - not Di2 - so I have to get used to that again :D Not really, but the bars are flared so that's a little different.

Also, there's a spoke guard on the back wheel I gotta address, but they at least didn't bother with reflectors.  I'll likely put on some Speedplays for now, but I am not sold on the saddle yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

It comes installed with "tubeless" ready (Pathfinder Pro, 2Bliss Ready tires and DT Swiss G540 rims) but is currently using tubes, so my plan is to get everything dialed in and comfortable, and then to swap out to the tubeless later on down the road.  Definitely, since they're ready to be set up tubeless, tubeless is going to be the first real change I make.

In the meantime, it's stuff like bottle cages, seeing how the rack can fit, looking at fender options, etc.  Also, it is mechanical - not Di2 - so I have to get used to that again :D Not really, but the bars are flared so that's a little different.

Also, there's a spoke guard on the back wheel I gotta address, but they at least didn't bother with reflectors.  I'll likely put on some Speedplays for now, but I am not sold on the saddle yet.

The dork disc blended in with the rotor, didn’t even notice it!  Do you have any SPD’s or MTB shoes?  Road cleats off road seriously sucks if you got to walk.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

The dork disc blended in with the rotor, didn’t even notice it!  Do you have any SPD’s or MTB shoes?  Road cleats off road seriously sucks if you got to walk.  

Yeah - I have SPD for my MTB and a pretty nice set of shoes, but for the quick set up to get things square is just to use the spare Speedplays for now.  Then, it is a skies the limit time to tweak things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, Razors Edge said:

It comes installed with "tubeless" ready (Pathfinder Pro, 2Bliss Ready tires and DT Swiss G540 rims) but is currently using tubes, so my plan is to get everything dialed in and comfortable, and then to swap out to the tubeless later on down the road.  Definitely, since they're ready to be set up tubeless, tubeless is going to be the first real change I make.

In the meantime, it's stuff like bottle cages, seeing how the rack can fit, looking at fender options, etc.  Also, it is mechanical - not Di2 - so I have to get used to that again :D Not really, but the bars are flared so that's a little different.

Also, there's a spoke guard on the back wheel I gotta address, but they at least didn't bother with reflectors.  I'll likely put on some Speedplays for now, but I am not sold on the saddle yet.

So how’s the process of getting your new bike dialed in going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

So how’s the process of getting your new bike dialed in going?

Good. I still think I will trade out the saddle, but I got in a nice 40+ mile gravel-ish ride on Saturday (about 1/4 was gravel).  Weird riding mechanical shifting again, but it was really smooth except the huge jump to the final 34 tooth on the cassette.  It had no problem shifting into and out, but it wasn't silent like it was for most shifting.  Like my Roubaix, this Diverge is QUIET and SMOOTH on regular roads. A total stealth bike with just the wind noise around the big tires & front fork.

One funny thing I found out is that gravel is a mofo to a rear light!  I've had rear lights mounted to my seatpost for years.  ONE ride on the gravel bike and a rock cracked the lens.  Nuts.

Also, it's a "porker" compared to the Tarmac.  I think most the weight is in the 700x38 tires and the beefier carbon tubing, but I definitely felt that on some 10+% climbs.  It has some super low gear combinations, but you still gotta work it.  I rode the Tarmac yesterday on a quick evening ride and it is like a Ferrari.  The Diverge is closer to my Roubaix but with some extra weight.  I will eventually have the Diverge pulling double duty as my commuter and as an adventure bike, so in commuter form, I see some 700x32 Contis and rack & fenders, versus this 38 set-up I have now. 

I'm also still getting familiar with disc brakes and thru axles!  Then the tubeless.  So much is the "same" but also different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good. I still think I will trade out the saddle, but I got in a nice 40+ mile gravel-ish ride on Saturday (about 1/4 was gravel).  Weird riding mechanical shifting again, but it was really smooth except the huge jump to the final 34 tooth on the cassette.  It had no problem shifting into and out, but it wasn't silent like it was for most shifting.  Like my Roubaix, this Diverge is QUIET and SMOOTH on regular roads. A total stealth bike with just the wind noise around the big tires & front fork.

One funny thing I found out is that gravel is a mofo to a rear light!  I've had rear lights mounted to my seatpost for years.  ONE ride on the gravel bike and a rock cracked the lens.  Nuts.

Also, it's a "porker" compared to the Tarmac.  I think most the weight is in the 700x38 tires and the beefier carbon tubing, but I definitely felt that on some 10+% climbs.  It has some super low gear combinations, but you still gotta work it.  I rode the Tarmac yesterday on a quick evening ride and it is like a Ferrari.  The Diverge is closer to my Roubaix but with some extra weight.  I will eventually have the Diverge pulling double duty as my commuter and as an adventure bike, so in commuter form, I see some 700x32 Contis and rack & fenders, versus this 38 set-up I have now. 

I'm also still getting familiar with disc brakes and thru axles!  Then the tubeless.  So much is the "same" but also different.

Very cool!  Yeah rocks get thrown up from the tires.  I didn’t bother to protect the downtube as my bike is aluminum but I frequently hear the “tink” of pebbles on the frame.  Gravel tires & wheels can get porky. I noticed a huge difference when I swapped out my tires & wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time in a long time my N+1 is going down and is currently at N-2

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jsharr said:

For the first time in a long time my N+1 is going down and is currently at N-2

I will eventually explore the N-1 step.  Five bikes in the garage is unwieldy, and the Roubaix ends up being the odd-man-out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I will eventually explore the N-1 step.  Five bikes in the garage is unwieldy, and the Roubaix ends up being the odd-man-out.

Could not tell you the last time a rear end graced the saddle of my wife's Specialized MTB.  The Redline lives on a hook.  The year one Cannondale needs some sort of work done to repair damaged threads on the integrated deraileur hanger.

My MTB and roadie see some use and Ryan is the only member of the family who rides on a weekly basis right now.

Could really get by with two roadies and two MTB's right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's dope. Is that the new Shimano gravel group-o?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

That's dope. Is that the new Shimano gravel group-o?

Yep - its the Ultegra level GRX gruppo.  2x11 mechanical with hydraulic discs.  It took me a few minutes to return to my old shifting habits using "trim" again :) but do need to get a little more light with my right hand as I sometimes am swinging the shifter down two gears instead of my intended one.  

But yes, it is dope :) but still in the getting to know it stage of our relationship. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - its the Ultegra level GRX gruppo.  2x11 mechanical with hydraulic discs.  It took me a few minutes to return to my old shifting habits using "trim" again :) but do need to get a little more light with my right hand as I sometimes am swinging the shifter down two gears instead of my intended one.  

But yes, it is dope :) but still in the getting to know it stage of our relationship. 

Cool, my CAAD X has Ultegra w/ hydrualic brakes. The brakes kick ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Cool, my CAAD X has Ultegra w/ hydrualic brakes. The brakes kick ass.

I look forward to using them on some of the more steep descents where I generally have to brake early on my Tarmac with its rim brakes.  There is an especially poor condition road that ends at a stop sign T-intersection, and the descent is a blast, but the last 100 yds is more about safely braking than enjoying the speed. That road is a gateway to many gravel roads, so I'll be seeing it a lot as I venture out to the countryside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice bike! That internal storage in the downtube is so smart.

It's kind of funny that they call it category leading tire clearance at a whopping 47 mm.

Salsa's Fargo can clear 76.2 mm and the Cutthroat clears 61 mm tires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dennis said:

Nice bike! That internal storage in the downtube is so smart.

It's kind of funny that they call it category leading tire clearance at a whopping 47 mm.

Salsa's Fargo can clear 76.2 mm and the Cutthroat clears 61 mm tires.

Yeah, "whopping" was pretty funny.  I guess the 650's go to 52 (2.1), and then there is noticeable gaps beyond that where a bigger tire could be used in dry conditions.

Mine came with 38's, so we'll see where I go from there.  Can't imagine changing pre-emptively to a bigger tire until I try things out a lot more and later set up with tubeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, "whopping" was pretty funny.  I guess the 650's go to 52 (2.1), and then there is noticeable gaps beyond that where a bigger tire could be used in dry conditions.

Mine came with 38's, so we'll see where I go from there.  Can't imagine changing pre-emptively to a bigger tire until I try things out a lot more and later set up with tubeless.

Trek called their 45mm tire clearance massive so It's all relative. I bet Giant went with Ginormous. 

I'm in the minority wanting big tires. I loved the Deadwood with 29 x 3" tires.

At the end of the day, that's all marketing. Your new Diverge is a really nice, well thought out bike. Specialized designs good stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, dennis said:

Trek called their 45mm tire clearance massive so It's all relative. I bet Giant went with Ginormous. 

I'm in the minority wanting big tires. I loved the Deadwood with 29 x 3" tires.

At the end of the day, that's all marketing. Your new Diverge is a really nice, well thought out bike. Specialized designs good stuff.

 

I have the 2.2 on my MTB and I feel like those are nutso fat.  I often am in awe of fat bike size tires.

Funny thing, around here, is that we have a ton of electric fat bikes.  And electric fat folding bikes!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...