So, do you also have nearly naked men in your neighborhoods?

MoseySusan

Don Schrader was quite well-known in ABQ because of his long-standing protests and his show on the public access television station. He passed in 2018. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/humansofnewmexico.com/2017/05/30/dons-abq/amp/

Another though, walks the highway corridor in the eastern foothills, cleaning up trash and being genuinely affable to everyone on the bike path. Both notably wear only shorts and shoes. 

16 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Don Schrader was quite well-known in ABQ because of his long-standing protests and his show on the public access television station. He passed in 2018. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/humansofnewmexico.com/2017/05/30/dons-abq/amp/

Another though, walks the highway corridor in the eastern foothills, cleaning up trash and being genuinely affable to everyone on the bike path. Both notably wear only shorts and shoes. 

Shorts and flip flops were our standard "civilian" dress when out and about in Key West in the 60's.  We would carry a t shirt wrapped around the neck in case we wanted to drop in somewhere for a cold one.  Key West is only about 4 x 2 miles and we could easily walk around it in an afternoon of beach going or an evening of bar hopping.  It was an appropriate outfit given the heat and humidity of summer there, especially if one got a whim to jump into the ocean to cool off.

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Shorts and shoes isn't really naked.  I wear half that at the pool!

What then is the barrier to more people living in less clothing? It’s acceptable at the pool, but not along the bike path. 

6 minutes ago, roadsue said:

What then is the barrier to more people living in less clothing? It’s acceptable at the pool, but not along the bike path. 

I regularly see shirtless men on the bike path - running or cycling.  They generally have shoes too, but some barefoot runners might be clad only in shorts.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I regularly see shirtless men on the bike path - running or cycling.  They generally have shoes too, but some barefoot runners might be clad only in shorts.

Oh, right! There’s another man in the neighborhood who runs every day. He wears really shorts and no shoes. Just a barrier of some kind attached to his toe and ankle. 
I did a quick google search, and the words most associated with women’s clothing are “modest” and “shaming.” Hmm...

11 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I know that what I wore in the 60's in Key West would probably send women and children screaming and men frowning now that I'm almost 74.

"What do you mean wrinkled T-shirt?  I'll have you know that it's skin tight."

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Oh, right! There’s another man in the neighborhood who runs every day. He wears really shorts and no shoes. Just a barrier of some kind attached to his toe and ankle. 
I did a quick google search, and the words most associated with women’s clothing are “modest” and “shaming.” Hmm...

I always wonder why a bikini is "acceptable" at the pool or beach, but just wearing a bra and panties is somehow not????

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

We have a fat ugly guy who sits nearly naked in his living room by the front window.  It the first house when you come off the main road so it is tough to miss him.

Wait, I thought your house was the first house when you come off the main road?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

In my childhood neighborhood, the guy who lived across the alleyway puttered around and walked the neighborhood shirtless. He had a massive belly. A huge, tanned belly. I went to school with his children. It wasn’t a thing that he went shirtless. 

FTR, I have no problem wandering inside my home naked.  About to jump in the shower and remember I needed a new bar of soap? I'll run too the pantry to grab it. I'm not getting dressed for that!  And I've been to thermal spas that were nude.  I had no problem using my towel to cover enough when walking between sauna rooms, but them being naked with strangers while sweating.  Hell, at my gym, the old men would wander from the lockers to the showers and then back with their towels draped over their shoulders.  A lot of pale pasty parts on display, but that's life in a locker room, I guess.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I always wonder why a bikini is "acceptable" at the pool or beach, but just wearing a bra and panties is somehow not????

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

Lots of scowls for people who go to the grocery store in bra and panties. 

You guys don’t live in a beach community.... Often times women will wear a wrap or put on shorts to cover their bottom but a bikini in a grocery store or restaurant where I live is pretty common from July to Sept.  

Sometimes I wish it wasn’t so common as some things can’t be unseen.

• Awesome 1

15 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

FTR, I have no problem wandering inside my home naked.  About to jump in the shower and remember I needed a new bar of soap? I'll run too the pantry to grab it. I'm not getting dressed for that! 

Exactly!  And if there is no soap in the pantry, there is no reason to get dressed to go to the store to buy more.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, roadsue said:

In my childhood neighborhood, the guy who lived across the alleyway puttered around and walked the neighborhood shirtless. He had a massive belly. A huge, tanned belly. I went to school with his children. It wasn’t a thing that he went shirtless. 

The man who lived next door was a mason, the brick layer kind.  He'd come home from work and unload his pickup shirtless.  He had a row of circular scares going from his shoulder to his hip on both his chest and back from when he was racked by a German machine gun in WWII.  I seem to remember there were 4 of them.  He was definitely lucky to be alive.  We kids in the neighborhood thought it looked pretty bad ass.

• Awesome 2