So is "... THIS ..." a hobby for you?

jsharr

Wife of the coffee roaster guy came by with their little kids bike.  It kept throwing the chain.

Had to take off the training wheels to loosen the axle nuts, adjust the rear wheel in the dropouts, and tighten.

Ryan and I had just finished recabling another bike and adjusting a friend's daughters bike, so I had my work stand out, and my bike tools and was wearing my shop apron.

She looks at the 8 or 10 bikes hanging and all tools and asks us "So.... is this a hobby or yours?" in kind of a wondering / puzzled voice.

Told her I used to ride a lot and love to work on bikes and was teaching Ryan how to work on them.

It was fun recabling the bike as Ryan did the majority of the work except for adjusting the deraileurs.  He watch on that one.

But on the brakes he did it all.  Measured and cut the housing, deburred the ends, installed the ferules, ran the cables and adjusted the brakes, trimmed the cables to length and installed end crimps.

He said it was much easier than he expected it to be.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I get that too.  Wow that’s a lot of bikes...

My neighbor used to rent out her spare rooms to low life’s and several had snooped around my garage while I was in it with the door open & made comments on my bikes.  Wow nice bikes, are those expensive?  Not as expensive as my guns...

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, jsharr said:

It was fun recabling the bike as Ryan did the majority of the work except for adjusting the deraileurs.  He watch on that one.

But on the brakes he did it all.  Measured and cut the housing, deburred the ends, installed the ferules, ran the cables and adjusted the brakes, trimmed the cables to length and installed end crimps.

He said it was much easier than he expected it to be.

It seems everyone is always recabling their bikes. Do you really have a lot of trouble with cables?  When I raced dirt bikes I went through cables but never had an issue on my bicycles. Do the cables bind up or break or you just like changing them?

57 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It seems everyone is always recabling their bikes. Do you really have a lot of trouble with cables?  When I raced dirt bikes I went through cables but never had an issue on my bicycles. Do the cables bind up or break or you just like changing them?

This bike sat outside a lot and cable housing deteriorated 

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yep.  So is hail damage to cars from too many bikes in the two car garage

What kind of material do they make the cars out of that get all that hail damage. We have had a few windshield broken by hail in my neighborhood but no damage to the bodies of the cars. The hail shredded the vinyl siding on the house across from me last year.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:48 AM, jsharr said:

This bike sat outside a lot and cable housing deteriorated 

My daughter & SIL were going to keep their new cruisers in the back yard. I reminded them that steel & coastal mist do not go well together & their bikes would be much happier in the garage.  They found room for them.

Yeah keeping bikes out in the elements is criminal.

We now have two less bikes in the garage.  Want to find a home for the Redline Micro Mini where it will be appreciated.  Don't want it to end up as scrap.

Working on acquiring all the tools and the two bottom brackets we need to do the group set swaps on Trek and Falcon to convert the Trek to 10 speed Dura Ace and the Falcon to 9 speed 105 with intergrated shifters.

Have all the cables, cable stops, bar tape, crank bolts.  

This is going to be a fun project for Ryan and I.

• Heart 1