Close Call...

ChrisL

Womaxx has watched and done the same horn honking as a car sailed by a school bus.  I have done similar as a road crew started me into a one lane section around road work as I saw a lady in an SUV blow the stop signal on the other side and fly through the zone toward the workers and myself at the speed limit...............cell phone firmly attached to her ear.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Pennsylvania spent money on signs that say. Pennsylvania law states traffic must yield to pedestrians in crosswalk. I guess that means anyone not in the crosswalk is fair game?

I've seen a system in some Pennsylvania towns, (Butler is one I can think of at the moment) where there is a time slot in the traffic light cycle when pedestrians own the intersection. The light turns red in four directions, and when the bell sounds, walkers can cross any way, even diagonally. Seems like a good idea to me.

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I've seen a system in some Pennsylvania towns, (Butler is one I can think of at the moment) where there is a time slot in the traffic light cycle when pedestrians own the intersection. The light turns red in four directions, and when the bell sounds, walkers can cross any way, even diagonally. Seems like a good idea to me.

That's a normal crosswalk at our 3 downtown lights here.  It's driven by a button on each corner that pedestrians push.  We're a big city now.

Note.  This will not protect you from right turn on red drivers who usually barely slow down.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That's a normal crosswalk at our 3 downtown lights here.  It's driven by a button on each corner that pedestrians push.  We're a big city now.

Note.  This will not protect you from right turn on red drivers who usually barely slow down.

There was no right on red in the situations I saw. Really the only way that can work.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Womaxx has watched and done the same horn honking as a car sailed by a school bus.  I have done similar as a road crew started me into a one lane section around road work as I saw a lady in an SUV blow the stop signal on the other side and fly through the zone toward the workers and myself at the speed limit...............cell phone firmly attached to her ear.

My Dad witnessed the same type of accident in a construction zone. 6 dead, and nothing he could do about. He was a few cars away from dying. 

• Sad 2

Seeing things like is shuddering.

We used to go to a party at Mt. Shasta for New years.  This idiot put his tiny daughter on a shed and pushed her down this hill that has some trees at the end of it.  He is yelling "Jump off, bail off."  She didn't.  She grazed the tree and crashed into the tree well.  Luckily she didn't hit it directly, but she got hurt and was crying.  After seeing that, I could not sleep that night.  I kept seeing the child hit the tree.  A little PTSD for me.  She seemed ok, but stunned.  I was so upset.  

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Did the driver ever notice?

Being how close the girl came to being a hood ornament you would think maybe they would have braked or slowed down to check but no.... The driver just blew the intersection & kept on going...

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

There was no right on red in the situations I saw. Really the only way that can work.

Correct.  One of our three required special signs at first denoting no right turn on red and later the lights themselves were changed to control right turns in addition to normal straight forward.  That light was adjacent to the town green and during events people were getting hit by right turners who were too busy turning to look for people.  I myself managed to dent one car with a swift kick as I jumped out of the way.  ;)

Many years ago....   in 1977, I was just starting work at my company of 40+ years.  For 2 months I used a Metra train to travel from the west suburbans of Chicago to downtown Chicago for training each day.

I always took the same commuter train.  The train before ours was an express train about 10 minutes before our train and it didn't stop at our stop, it just blew on thru probably at 50 mph,

Some people always arrived just minutes (or less) before our train would leave.   One day... the express was late about 10 minutes late.   This guy, assuming the train he saw in the distance was our train.  Of course he had to cross 3 tracks at our station to get to the correct side of the train for loading. (yes there is a walkway across the tracks)  He just starts walking across the tracks, of course assuming the train was slowing down to stop.  It wasn't going to stop.  We started yelling at him to get off of the tracks. He was oblivious to just everything, including the approaching train. Can't blame it in cell phones, they didn't exist then.  He may been reading a newspaper.  The train is now blowing the horn...  no change he just keeps on walking not looking at the train or us still yelling.   He never ran... he just barely made it across the track.  The train zooms by and THEN he noticed he was missed being hit by inches.

I can remember that like it was yesterday... 

• Heart 1