looking at getting a new camp

KrAzY

Since the family and I miss the time we spent at our camp in the UP. We are looking for somewhere new to take long weekends and just go hang out. 
Wife requirement is it has to have a small town nearby to just go relax at or maybe window shop. also should have a small town coffee shop. 
For both of us it is also going to be used as our place to live when we decided to retire in the next 10 or so years. 

My requirement is it has to have a lake to fish at and kayak on. I really don't care where it is located. 

So we are fixing to leave and go see a few places on this little lake I found. Should be an interesting adventure.. the little lake is about 100,000 acres. Should be enough for me to fish and get lost on, and the town is on the mid size side. 

One kid is excited about it and the other is like "Why do we need another place"
My answer to that was... Texas sucks and we want to retire and move when you all are done with school.. 

There are two places we really want to see, and another two that the agent thinks could be a good fit. We will see how it goes.. I'm guessing we will not find a place today, and will be looking the rest of the summer at other lakes. 

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

My answer to that was... Texas sucks and we want to retire and move when you all done with school. 

Ok, question time.  If TX sucks, why are you looking in TX at camps?

Second question which I must have missed, is why did you ever move to TX?

Third question, Since TX sucks, wth aren’t you leaving TX immediately and why haven’t you left yet?

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, question time.  If TX sucks, why are you looking in TX at camps?

Second question which I must have missed, is why did you ever move to TX?

Third question, Since TX sucks, wth aren’t you leaving TX?

#1 Not looking in Texas. We are looking in Oklahoma. 
#2 moved to Texas  because we got relocated for the wife’s work.

#3 see answer #1

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

#1 Not looking in Texas. We are looking in Oklahoma. 
#2 moved to Texas  because we got relocated for the wife’s work.

#3 see answer #1

What makes Oklahoma any better?  I am asking out if ignorance, having only driven through.  I Imagine that driving time might be an Issue, but have you considered buying in a proper state like Colorado instead?

• Awesome 1

I am selling the Bend house next year. Buy it!  Lots of outdoor stuff. Lots of high lakes. They are closed in winter...duh. But that means it's time for ski/snowshoe. More of a Mt Bike town than roadie. Lots of hiking trails. I can walk to a trail from my house. Cute 2 street downtown. (really more than that but you get the idea. Lots of food truck pods. 2 more are opening soon. Tourist town though. So during high season motels are $$$. 

BYOS...Bring your own Subaru

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Scrapr said:

I am selling the Bend house next year. Buy it!  Lots of outdoor stuff. Lots of high lakes. They are closed in winter...duh. But that means it's time for ski/snowshoe. More of a Mt Bike town than roadie. Lots of hiking trails. I can walk to a trail from my house. Cute 2 street downtown. (really more than that but you get the idea. Lots of food truck pods. 2 more are opening soon. Tourist town though. So during high season motels are $$$. 

BYOS...Bring your own Subaru

Why are you selling it, it sounds nice!

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

What makes Oklahoma any better?  I am asking out if ignorance, having only driven through.  I Imagine that driving time might be an Issue, but have you considered buying in a proper state like Colorado instead?

Co is a lot further away, about 9 hour drive where I would like to be there. Also prices on property is a lot higher. 
Ok is not a bad state, unless you are from Texas and then you think every state sucks more then the state you live in. 
It has something to do with trying to be proud of your tumbleweeds or something. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I really don't care where it is located. 

I think the UP would be a good place for it.  Then I could go use it in the winter to run sled dogs.  My dogs would thank you.

In fact I have the perfect place picked out for you. 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8421-Old-Brimley-Grade-Rd-Brimley-MI-49715/106305589_zpid/

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Digital_photog said:

I think the UP would be a good place for it.  Then I could go use it in the winter to run sled dogs.  My dogs would thank you.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8421-Old-Brimley-Grade-Rd-Brimley-MI-49715/106305589_zpid/

That looks like a great deal!

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Co is a lot further away, about 9 hour drive where I would like to be there. Also prices on property is a lot higher. 
Ok is not a bad state, unless you are from Texas and then you think every state sucks more then the state you live in. 
It has something to do with trying to be proud of your tumbleweeds or something. 

What about Arkansas?  

Just now, jsharr said:

Arkansas ranks 2nd in US in gun ownership.  Only Alaska has more gun ownership .

I don’t care for your silly statistics.. I’m making excuses cause I don’t like Arkansas 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Wife requirement is it has to have a small town nearby to just go relax at or maybe window shop. also should have a small town coffee shop. 

My answer to that was... Texas sucks and we want to retire and move when you all are done with school.. 

I like you Crazy.

I've heard parts of Oklahoma are very pretty, particularly the South East  I ended up canceling the trip due to some personal reasons (plus there was some bad weather and flooding), but I was planning a visit there last year.  I still want to go, and the people I talked with were very friendly.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I've heard parts of Oklahoma are very pretty, particularly the South East  I ended up canceling the trip due to some personal reasons (plus there was some bad weather and flooding), but I was planning a visit there last year.  I still want to go, and the people I talked with were very friendly.

Here is the view out the back door of the home we looked at. 
Mira about as little as 50 feet to 100 feet off the water.. guess it depends on how high the water level is that day 

EE9FA075-4F9B-4B42-87AD-80B2CAE8649D.jpeg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Yes, that part of the state and the adjoining area in Arkansas are very nice.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

and @smudge is there

• Hugs 1