I planted trumpet vine on my new jail fence

Dirtyhip

The fence won't look so much like a jail, once my vines all get going on it.  I estimate 3 years for it to look less jail like.  

We did not install razor wire on the top.  

Additionally, I am going to grow this ivy that is in my backyard area.  This stuff is invasive and super hardy.  I swear it even looks green in winter.

This new fence is super sturdy.  A picket looks cute, but has tons of maintenance.  Vinyl get broken, so this is why we opted for jail fence (cyclone).  A nice metal fence would have been nice, but the cost was insane.  

The jail fence will also keep the cats out, so this is a win.

• Heart 1

Oh, like wrought iron except steel. I guess I have seen those. That is one reason I haven’t put a fence up in the 1/3 of my yard that doesn’t have a neighbor’s  wooden fence, don’t know what kind to go with. 

I guess wood wood be the logical choice if I did. Right now it has overgrown Douglas firs that need to come down. :(

Edit: This post attracted a tree service ad  :D

16 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Did you use the metal posts?  I have had some of these with square redwood or cedar posts, that I really liked.  They gave it a bit of a different character.

W stayed with the metal for longevity and ease of maintenance.  I am going to pretty it up with vines.  You will barely be able to see the ugly jail fence in a few years.  

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Also, it is relatively easy to work with compared to some other materials.

My husband did it all.  I am so impressed with him and his abilities.  I think if you gave him a forest and a chainsaw, he could build an impressive house.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

What kind of fence did you put up?  Chain link or two square?  I don’t know your terms. 

Yeah, I am still not clear on what the hell she put up.  I actually have no idea what it may look like, how high, what color, etc.  She said that K built it, but building looks like metal forging or welding based on the link.

I have no idea what you are talking about, DH, you are gonna have to put up some pics.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, I am still not clear on what the hell she put up.  I actually have no idea what it may look like, how high, what color, etc.  She said that K built it, but building looks like metal forging or welding based on the link.

I have no idea what you are talking about, DH, you are gonna have to put up some pics.

Cyclone fence!

x480-78498.Jpg

• Heart 3

Also known as hurricane or cyclone fencing, due to its durability and ability to withstand gale force winds, chain link fencing is a type of fence that is made of woven, inter-locking steel wire. The stability comes from steel posts that are cemented into the earth before attaching the affordable fencing material.Feb 15, 2013

30 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Oh good, not this. 

they build prisons by the freeway just to rub it in, it’s a daily reminder of the wages of sin.  John Gorka, Jailbirds in the Big House. 

FDEC2CF3-EBDA-4DA3-A168-37BDA07BA91D.jpeg

I wish.  If only this were legal.  

This will keep the looters out.  I want to keep people out.  Jail fence is meant to keep people in.  We just reversed the locks.

• Heart 3

8 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The fence won't look so much like a jail, once my vines all get going on it.  I estimate 3 years for it to look less jail like.  

We did not install razor wire on the top.  

Additionally, I am going to grow this ivy that is in my backyard area.  This stuff is invasive and super hardy.  I swear it even looks green in winter.

This new fence is super sturdy.  A picket looks cute, but has tons of maintenance.  Vinyl get broken, so this is why we opted for jail fence (cyclone).  A nice metal fence would have been nice, but the cost was insane.  

The jail fence will also keep the cats out, so this is a win.

Ivy began growing in my yard and I let it grow for several years.  Now it really hard to restrict and to eliminate: it's extremely resistant to weed killers. and I can't lower to boom with a complete vegetation killer because it's mixed into the lawn.