Hey you, be careful out there.

You all might not know this but I really do love each and everyone of you, even Wilbur -- he's Canadian you know.

With all the BS looting, virus and all around shitty atmosphere I'm not just worried about the future of my family and I'm worried about everyone's future.  The switch finally flipped a few days ago and I fear we are now in the middle of a civil war or sorts.

I don't know how to fix this.  I don't know what is going to happen.  But this has been brewing much longer before the lock downs, the senseless killing over the past month and the virus outbreak.  I do fear the chaos is going to continue for awhile however -- this isn't going to stop any time soon in my opinion.

Here is what I'm going to try to do, specifically here.  I'm going to try to be nicer to people here -- don't worry, I'll still josh with RG, Wilbur and AWWC and I'm also going to do my best to attempt to understand other's points of view in the outside world better.  I'll probably fail, I always do but I'm hopeful I will be mindful enough to learn from those mistakes.  All of this is hard to control while living under fear of a deadly virus lurking silently and the chaos outside of my apartment and house.  

Anyway, the first person who successfully parodies this thread, using Kzoo's parady meter, wins a cookie.  I love you all and stay safe. 

Couch_Incident 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

Completely silent here.  The only unrest we had was a parade yesterday where the ranchers were out, because their water is getting shut off again to protect the suckerfish.  The tribes control the water here, and there is conflict over that.  Oh, we have a rainstorm today.  That is pretty big news here.

@Scrapr  knows what I am talking about.  We were national news during our last water crisis when the feds were literally camped at the head gates to the dam that controls the irrigation water, because the ranchers/farmers kept torching off the spigot and opening it up again.  

80% of the arrests have been people from out of state..read a good piece on the violence and destruction being the intent of a population that wants another civil war...not a black population either :whistle:...  hugs to all...stay safe...love your neighbor (well..be kind to them anyway)

• Hugs 1

25 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

violence and destruction being the intent of a population that wants another civil war.

That sounds like a big smelly load of conspiracy to me.  Black people are fed up, white folks who can think see the reasoning of it.  

I think this gets calmer a bit by tomorrow.   But the next event, look out.

13 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

80% of the arrests have been people from out of state..read a good piece on the violence and destruction being the intent of a population that wants another civil war...not a black population either :whistle:...  hugs to all...stay safe...love your neighbor (well..be kind to them anyway)

This is not a source I've had much experience with but here goes:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkyb9b/far-right-extremists-are-hoping-to-turn-the-george-floyd-protests-into-a-new-civil-war

44 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That sounds like a big smelly load of conspiracy to me.  Black people are fed up, white folks who can think see the reasoning of it.  

I think this gets calmer a bit by tomorrow.   But the next event, look out.

As I have said before...I'm glad I'm not black.  I genuinely believe they often have to be alert how they are perceived at times. And too often, for wrong reasons just by jogging, walking down the street, etc.  Just like that guy in NYC park, going birding and caught the woman freakin' out just by looking at him while she was walking with her dog.  (and she got fired by her employer, McKinsey, a consulting firm).  

I have not posted on this forum, but there has some weird stuff with North Americans with an Asian face, how some are occasionally perceived right now in past few months.  

And I have said here a long time ago, I don't mention in my resume that I was involved for 5 years with a Chinese-Canadian national organization on race relations and equity awhile ago.  It did give me some new skills:  how to speak up in a polite way and speak in clear, reasoned manner.    I do everything to ..whiten my resume, by eliminating my racial background..even though my last name is the clue.  

I'm sorry....a lot of people have no clue what it means to assimilate unless one lives in a society where the majority in power doesn't look like your family.  To shut up while blending in, to make change....by being the best of yourself.

• Hugs 1

26 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Let's face it there is a population that thrives on chaos and destruction ..and any opportunity to create it

A few months after the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, there was major riot in downtown Vancouver.  It was after a Stanley cup hockey game playoffs where the Vancouver Canucks hockey team lost.  A pile of shops with broken windows, some fires were lit....about 15 min. walk from home.  I was in prairie city at the time and was stunned when I saw the wreckage on film.  It was so surreal to see one's home city with serious wreckage and violence.  And the famous photo of this couple kissing on the edge of a riot.

image.png.c2b16b88bde96300f9370d434f0b99ca.png

Wreckage of businesses which weren't involved with anything nor any of the grievances is just sad.  It will take time for your city to heal....

• Heart 1

I was tear gassed and flash banged this afternoon. We were on the public grounds of the state house. 100% legal and 100% peaceful.  It was the exact same spot where heavily armed protesters forced open the doors to the state house so they could protest not being able to get a hair cut.  

The difference in the way the police have treated these two protests is black and white.

I don’t know about your areas, but it is going to get much worse in Columbus tonight. 

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I was tear gassed and flash banged this afternoon. We were on the public grounds of the state house. 100% legal and 100% peaceful.  It was the exact same spot where heavily armed protesters forced open the doors to the state house so they could protest not being able to get a hair cut.  

The difference in the way the police have treated these two protests is black and white.

I don’t know about your areas, but it is going to get much worse in Columbus tonight. 

I almost don't want to ask, but the protest today was about ?  I have been in public street march protest in Toronto....a long time ago.  It was protesting against the Tianamen Square Massacre.

Did you use milk or whatever to take the "sting" out of your facial area?

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

A few months after the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, there was major riot in downtown Vancouver.  It was after a Stanley cup hockey game playoffs where the Vancouver Canucks hockey team lost.  A pile of shops with broken windows, some fires were lit....about 15 min. walk from home.  I was in prairie city at the time and was stunned when I saw the wreckage on film.  It was so surreal to see one's home city with serious wreckage and violence.  And the famous photo of this couple kissing on the edge of a riot.

image.png.c2b16b88bde96300f9370d434f0b99ca.png

Wreckage of businesses which weren't involved with anything nor any of the grievances is just sad.  It will take time for your city to heal....

That's a great photo.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I almost don't want to ask, but the protest today was about ?  I have been in public street march protest in Toronto....a long time ago.  It was protesting against the Tianamen Square Massacre.

Did you use milk or whatever to take the "sting" out of your facial area?

Police brutality against certain classes of people.  Check out google.  

• Haha 1

@shootingstarthere was an interesting story behind that photo. The guy realized that they (the couple) were caught in a no-mans land between the rioters and the police. To prevent getting a beating from the police. He grabbed his girlfriend in an embrace and pulled her with him to the ground. The police let them go. He said later that he was really scared they’d get a beating but his quick thinking got them out. By the way, the Boston Bruins won that game 7. 

This was my first street protest and I was amazed at how organized it was. Once they shot the tear gas into the crowd, there were people all over to help flush out everyone’s eyes. Other people covered the tear gas canisters with traffic cones. 

I’m reading some of the coverage now. They peppers sprayed our congresswoman and most of the city council. 

stay safe. 

6BF59855-1094-4A67-AEF3-6E0BE732516C.jpeg

So many things are closed..surprisingly the Walgeens up the street was open..kitty corner the CVS was all boarded up. I picked up a hanging plant..and stopped for a sandwich..in th suburbs..they are closing at 5pm tonight..7pm tomorrow...all the Speedways are closed until you get further out..over 200 building burned

:( sounds like force will be used tonight 

28 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

This was my first street protest and I was amazed at how organized it was. Once they shot the tear gas into the crowd, there were people all over to help flush out everyone’s eyes. Other people covered the tear gas canisters with traffic cones. 

I’m reading some of the coverage now. They peppers sprayed our congresswoman and most of the city council. 

stay safe. 

6BF59855-1094-4A67-AEF3-6E0BE732516C.jpeg

So city council folks were ...in the building or on the sidelines??

You know, I work in a public building. (Not now.)  Yes, there have been different protests in front of our building... health care worker cuts, oil and gas industry rejuvenation...which both matters, municipality doesn't have authority over..it's provincial funding/authorities.  Not municipal.  So yes, the police are out there, watching.  Actually we allow it if it's peaceful.  They just can't enter the building.

So the use of tear gas sounds extreme if it was simply peaceful protest. It doesn't matter what the issue is.