Bird recognition insanity

shootingstar

Underside of Northern Flicker bird. 2nd photo, what type of bird is that..some sort of thrush or?  I'm in the prairies right now. Last one is downy woodpecker.

I'm heartbroken:  I saw 3 oriole birds for the lst time in my life!! Lots of orange and abit of brown black.  I couldn't catch them on my camera. :(

undersideflicker.JPG

yellowbrown.JPG

woodpeckergreen.JPG

• Heart 1

If you wanted answers you should have asked easier questions. On the 2nd one, consider the female version. They are often quite different. 
I am heading home today from my birdwatching trip. I have about 6 bird photos I need to figure out. 

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Yea, the hairy woodpecker has a much longer beak.  I haven't seen one yet.

The hairy woodpeckers are real hairy now with all the barbershops closed.

My favorite is the red belly woodpecker. I have no idea why they are called that, they don’t have a red belly. I guess there was already a red headed woodpecker and they had to name it something. Our red belly woodpecker doesn’t want to share the pecker block with other birds. When it flies in to get something to eat if another bird is on the block he lands on the gutter and leans down and pecks on the downspout like a machine gun. The other birds fly away and he lands on the pecker block and eats in peace.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Still figuring it out. The bigger one could be a red knot. They do migrate through Delmarva coast in late May. 

B16B1585-A802-4E3A-B237-2B8303ECDD1E.jpeg

955FFFF0-2E1D-4C2F-A3DE-D28F21D110CF.jpeg

The bottom looks close to a tree swallow...except where we are, they have deep shiny turquoise head.  this is my tree swallow, which are quite common in our area:

swallow.jpg

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

The bottom looks close to a tree swallow...except where we are, they have deep shiny turquoise head.  this is my tree swallow, which are quite common in our area:

swallow.jpg

This wasn’t flying like a swallow , but it’s possible. I saw lots of swallows on my trip.  Mine has different shaped head and beak. 

23 minutes ago, Further said:

I think so, but I like the wife naming him asshole. He bumped the blue jays on The List of unwanted birds.

My dad had a separate feeder for the asshole birds (he called them unworthy birds) They got the cheap birdseed with all the cracked corn, left over pancakes, spaghetti, moldy bread. they may be assholes but they are not picky eaters.

• Heart 1