Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Randomguy

All Clad sucks and wtf is up with rivets?

Recommended Posts

I want cookware that is welded and doesn't have those shitty bacteria-port rivets that ruin the look and easy cleaning of a pan.

Discus.

  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I have a Demeyere skillet. No rivets on the inside of the cooking surfaces.   Bought it in Belgium where they are made. I believe you could order them or buy then in a big city like NYC. 
https://www.surlatable.com/demeyere-industry-5-skillets/PRO-188341.html?cgid=cat960418#start=4

AF42E81A-9730-4B4C-9C0A-C96F6CDE53A9.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used it for everything for a long time. I wish I had bought more pieces. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I have used it for everything for a long time. I wish I had bought more pieces. 

Wow, that looks like nice stuff!  Out of my range now (pun intended).

When we got married, the ex's sister got us a fancy set of WMF cromargan cookware (welded handles).  It was pretty, cooked well, and I dug it since I was the one doing the bulk of the cooking.  When I went to Colorado, she ruined every one of the pans by forgetting that things were on the stove while cooking.  Ever single one. She didn't have enough curiosity to find ways to try and salvage them.  She ruined pretty much every piece of furniture I bought, too.  Yay.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My go to skillets are cast iron. I forgot who made my pots. They are ceramic coated steel I bought forever ago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What pans have rivets? I don't think I have ever seen a pan with rivets. What the heck kind of crap are you buying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

What pans have rivets? I don't think I have ever seen a pan with rivets. What the heck kind of crap are you buying?

These were given to me when I got back to NYC.  30 year-old Caphalon (guess) non-stick stuff scratched to hell, I am worried a bit about the nonstick stuff coming off in the cooking and how unhealthy that is.  I have a 3 qt with no lid, a 1 1/2 qt pot with lid, and a large fry pan and lid and small one with no lid.

Anyway, they all have rivets, and most cookware sold has them.

My cast iron is in CO.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Clad is good stuff, nothing wrong with rivets.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Further said:

All Clad is good stuff, nothing wrong with rivets.

I hate All Clad, and I hate the rivets.  I hate all clad because the handles are so completely unergonomic and uncomfortable to use.  They cook well, but I have found that people who buy it are out of their minds neurotic for some reason.

The rivets are cheap and easy for manufacture, but they trap food and bacteria and make the pan very hard to effectively clean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cook with them, the pan gets over 200° there is no bacteria. Cast iron is probably covered in bacteria before you get it up to temp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

You cook with them, the pan gets over 200° there is no bacteria. Cast iron is probably covered in bacteria before you get it up to temp.

Cast iron has no rivets.  Rivets are hard to clean, and the crap in there attracts bugs and ruins the continuity of he cooking surface.  I hate the rivets, although it seems that I will have some when I replace the pans. due to costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Clad is a samich of stainless steel and aluminum for excellent heat transfer. If you don't like the handle chop it off. 

Cast iron and stainless cook differently, I like them both.

I like plastic, aluminum, and steel bikes, although plastic has a lot of pluses.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I want cookware that is welded and doesn't have those shitty bacteria-port rivets that ruin the look and easy cleaning of a pan.

Discus.

Meh.  I think you have been employed too long.  You were more fun and less paranoid when you didn't have a pot to piss in.  :) 

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a stainless steel set of pots and pans that my wife bought from a door to door guy that was hitting up all the female high school graduates. No rivets, astronomical price but they are still like new except for a big pot that I had to replace the handle. We have another stainless steel set with glass lids, I don't know why we needed two sets but I guess they looked nice and we did have that one pot with handles that don't match the rest of the set. :whistle:  We have a third set of stainless that we bought for in the motorhome so we could just leave it there. They are just a cheap set but they don't have rivets either. We inherited a set of aluminum pots and pans that were heavy duty and expensive but I don't cook with aluminum so we gave those away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

when you didn't have a pot to piss in.

I still don't have a pot to piss in!  If I did, I would already have pans, dishes, knives I like, and clean underwear.

I do have lots of lettuce, though!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

We have a stainless steel set of pots and pans that my wife bought from a door to door guy that was hitting up all the female high school graduates. No rivets, astronomical price but they are still like new except for a big pot that I had to replace the handle. We have another stainless steel set with glass lids, I don't know why we needed two sets but I guess they looked nice and we did have that one pot with handles that don't match the rest of the set. :whistle:  We have a third set of stainless that we bought for in the motorhome so we could just leave it there. They are just a cheap set but they don't have rivets either. We inherited a set of aluminum pots and pans that were heavy duty and expensive but I don't cook with aluminum so we gave those away. 

I think the very least expensive and the most expensive are welded or have screws.  The middle and middle-upper all seem to have rivets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I think the very least expensive and the most expensive are welded or have screws.  The middle and middle-upper all seem to have rivets.

Rivets work

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lodge cast iron is inexpensive.  And if you don't leave it behind, it will last you forever.  There's nicer cast iron, but it can get pricey.  I have a Field #8 and it's a great pan.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Further said:

Rivets work

Blue jeans have rivets which  speaks well for their stress durability. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Blue jeans have rivets which  speaks well for their stress durability. 

You don't cook with jeans, and you shouldn't have to with rivets!

I just don't like rivets is all, and uncomfortable handles.  I have cooked with all-clad a bunch, you see.  It is good stuff if you aren't particular like I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

if you don't leave it behind, it will last you forever. 

I can still get mine back.  When I visit, they are coming back with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

You don't cook with jeans, and you shouldn't have to with rivets!

I just don't like rivets is all, and uncomfortable handles.  I have cooked with all-clad a bunch, you see.

I have All-Clad too.  The rivets don't bother me.  The fact that they are nothing special but charge a premium price does though.   You can get every bit as good a quality scrounging around shelves at Marshall's.  That is what I do.  I have picked up some pretty awesome Euro cookware at bargain basement prices there too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have All-Clad too.  The rivets don't bother me.  The fact that they are nothing special but charge a premium price does though.   You can get every bit as good a quality scrounging around shelves at Marshall's.  That is what I do.  I have picked up some pretty awesome Euro cookware at bargain basement prices there too. 

I bought at La Crueset baking dish at TJ Max last year that is pretty cool and was way cheap!  When NYC opens up again I will keep looking for pans there, it is right across the street from me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Rivets?  I never heared of cookery with rivets!

You need to get out more, you know!  ;)  A bunch of the overpriced trendy brands are all rivets.  Caphalon, All Clad, etc.  Like I said, they cook well, but are priced double at least what they should.  You pay for pretty and trendy.   I think the rivets were a calling card back in the day when the competition took off.

I don't know that anyone would really notice unless they have used that sort before.  Eggs are a bitch to clean if you have rivets on your pans, just as a for-instance.

I don't know what I would buy anymore.   Non-stick is sounding better (the good stuff only), I have read a bit about ceramic, and of course there is always stainless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Randomguy said:

These were given to me when I got back to NYC.  30 year-old Caphalon (guess) non-stick stuff scratched to hell, I am worried a bit about the nonstick stuff coming off in the cooking and how unhealthy that is.  I have a 3 qt with no lid, a 1 1/2 qt pot with lid, and a large fry pan and lid and small one with no lid.

Anyway, they all have rivets, and most cookware sold has them.

My cast iron is in CO.  :(

We got a bunch of Calphalon cookware when my wife was working for the parent company. (Newell Rubermaid) We could get all that stuff at the employee store, cheap. The stainless stuff is OK, but the non stick is crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rick5234 said:

Lodge cast iron is inexpensive.  And if you don't leave it behind, it will last you forever.  There's nicer cast iron, but it can get pricey.  I have a Field #8 and it's a great pan.

Hmm, I read that site a bit. Very interesting. Makes my cast iron pan seem like not as much work as I thought. I like that site for the info. Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pans are 27 year old set of Calphalon stainless with glass lids. They were a wedding present. I love the heft and the handles. Hate the rivets. Cleanup requires extra brushing around them, and while boiling  something viscous that requires use of a scraper to ease the ingredients off the sides of the pan, the rivets get in the way. It’s the industrial design aesthetic gone wrong, and no pans should have them. 
 

FE7243C7-7246-420C-AC96-EA33BF2F4210.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

I like cast iron

Mudkipz 

Yeah, cast iron is pretty wonderful to cook on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry about the rivets.  The heat will kill any of the nasties.  

Meh.

I think most of my pans have rivets, except for my cast iron.  You don't like cast iron, because you are slightly insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You don't like cast iron, because you are slightly insane.

WRONG!  I really like cast iron these days, it is all I fried with and made pizza with in CO.   They are still at “3000 tigers“ guy’s house.   He also has all my riding stuff.  :(

Old#7 and Couch sent me the cast iron to show me the error of my ways.  :)
 

I still might be insane, though. 

  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Well shit, I guess our pots do have rivets.

Actually they look like carriage bolts In the inside, but there is a rivet on the oot side where a nut would be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...