Canadians are smart

Dottleshead

"The United States has the highest number of coronavirus cases and deaths in the world, with 1.7 million confirmed cases and 101,562 related deaths as of Thursday afternoon, according to Johns Hopkins University. Canada, meanwhile, has 89,976 confirmed cases and 6,978 related deaths.

On the West Coast, British Columbia has 2,558 confirmed cases and 164 related deaths, according to Johns Hopkins, while the Washington State Department of Health reported 20,764 cases and 1,106 related deaths as of Wednesday night."

That's a ten fold difference in my state alone and they don't want the border opened anytime soon.

https://www.heraldnet.com/northwest/most-canadians-hope-u-s-border-closure-lasts-through-summer/

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Dottles said:

"The United States has the highest number of coronavirus cases and deaths in the world, with 1.7 million confirmed cases and 101,562 related deaths as of Thursday afternoon, according to Johns Hopkins University. Canada, meanwhile, has 89,976 confirmed cases and 6,978 related deaths.

On the West Coast, British Columbia has 2,558 confirmed cases and 164 related deaths, according to Johns Hopkins, while the Washington State Department of Health reported 20,764 cases and 1,106 related deaths as of Wednesday night."

That's a ten fold difference in my state alone and they don't want the border opened anytime soon.

https://www.heraldnet.com/northwest/most-canadians-hope-u-s-border-closure-lasts-through-summer/

You have 10 times the population.  :) 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, Dottles said:

B.C. is smarter than...Ontario at this time.  Toronto is struggling to keep numbers down. They'll get there..but will take abit more time.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

B.C. is smarter than...Ontario at this time.  Toronto is struggling to keep numbers down. They'll get there..but will take abit more time.

We have been landing 5 flights per day from MLC.  The two regions who have done that all through the lockdown have the highest new cases.  Straight from Transport Canada. 

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We have been landing 5 flights per day from MLC.  The two regions who have done that all through the lockdown have the highest new cases.  Straight from Transport Canada. 

Wilbur...at this time, one would have to look at the cases right now and the people's identity in Toronto and Vancouver.  No I don't agree with international flights at this time from mainland China right now.

It does need to be scientifically captured on identity and diagnosis. Not just assumptions

For instance in Calgary about 5 days ago there were 3 people each at:  a (not Asian) bakery, car dealership and local little grocery market in south Calgary with covid.  

15 minutes ago, Dottles said:

You people are actually tracing??  WTF!?

Not sure.

However effective as of yesterday, anyone in Alberta can ask for covid testing..even if you don't have symptoms.  They want to see asymptomatic folks too.  Actually...I was abit amazed how fast...but then, I like our chief medical officer. (vs. jerk provincial political leader).

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Wilbur...at this time, one would have to look at the cases right now and the people's identity in Toronto and Vancouver.  No I don't agree with international flights at this time from mainland China right now.

It does need to be scientifically captured on identity and diagnosis. Not just assumptions

For instance in Calgary about 5 days ago there were 3 people each at:  a (not Asian) bakery, car dealership and local little grocery market in south Calgary with covid.  

Transport Canada is not in the business of making assumptions.  Travellers from MLC are tracked and cases are recorded accordingly.  Sorry, you version is not supported by recorded fact.  Transport Canada's is.   I get notices daily as flight crew as we need to know what to expect  and from where.   Toronto and Montreal have been receiving flights, Toronto and Montreal have the highest recorded new cases, a high percentage related to travelling public.  What you agree with is irrelevant right now.  Statistics are showing you as incorrect. 

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Transport Canada is not in the business of making assumptions.  Travellers from MLC are tracked and cases are recorded accordingly.  Sorry, you version is not supported by recorded fact.  Transport Canada's is.   I get notices daily as flight crew as we need to know what to expect  and from where.   Toronto and Montreal have been receiving flights, Toronto and Montreal have the highest recorded new cases, a high percentage related to travelling public.  What you agree with is irrelevant right now.  Statistics are showing you as incorrect. 

Sure they have been receiving flights.... and I'm certain some flights have landed in Vancouver in the layovers...before Toronto.  I'm waiting for those assumptions now....word must be from provincial health testing authorities.  Transport CAnada isn't doing any testing. None.  They just ask questions, no equipment to test people at our airports right now, Wilbur. They just hope people aren't lying.

And so the police are used to check on people to see if they self-isolate for 14 days in Canada when they land.

Cargill's problem at meat processing plant n Calgary wasn't flights from China.  I'm stating... reality of health authorities powers to medically test. Not Transport Canada.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Sure they have been receiving flights.... and I'm certain some flights have landed in Vancouver in the layovers...before Toronto.  I'm waiting for those assumptions now....word must be from provincial testing authorities.  Transport CAnada isn't doing any testing.  They just ask questions, no equipment to test people at our airports right now, Wilbur.

Jesus fuck!  Do you know the industry I work in?   The passengers are tracked and questioned as to who they have been in contact with if they later develop symptoms.  Transport Canada never sees a passenger and they are never at airports.  The people asking questions are airline employees, (I have to by law now), CATSA and Customs.  You have probably never met a Transport Canada person in your life.  They govern the security/ safety aspect of the industry though.  Vancouver has not received flights.  It was reduced to YYZ and YUL only.  That is how Justin looks into the camera and says we have stopped flights from China.  We have...at some airports. 

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

No, it means "holy shit, are you fucking serious right now?"  :)   Next thing stated will be the brilliance of Theresa Tam.  :) 

Are you smarter than Tam, Wilbur in this area?  Seriously....I really mean this is in the area of epidemiology of infectious diseases which is her area of medical expertise. Be respectful. 

Sadly the Canadian airports are not testing international passengers that land in Canada. No equipment.  Zero.

I guess Wilbur, we've had several tested cases of several workers from the northern Alberta oil sands go back to B.C.  they had covid. this is not people from China. My point, the borders between the provinces are also pororus...not airtight to prevent spread.

57 minutes ago, Dottles said:

You people are actually tracing??  WTF!?

I may submit myself to testing. I have no symptoms.  And if I do, maybe it might prove Wilbur's point....be suspicious of every Asian face. The thing is that I've never visited China in my life.

Shrug.  It's not safe times, Dottles.  In fact, the whole world is turning very inward.

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

be suspicious of every Asian face.

See, that's your thought and a misinterpretation and misrepresentation of what I said.  This is China's virus.  It is the origin and still a source.   This is why TC tracks it and gives daily bulletins to aircrew.   It has nothing to do with the face as a number of facial types are represented on flights from Asia.  Even white and orange ones.  So, please don't paint me a racist for the facts surrounding this virus.  

19 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Are you smarter than Tam, Wilbur in this area?  Seriously....I really mean this is in the area of epidemiology of infectious diseases which is her area of medical expertise. Be respectful. 

Sadly the Canadian airports are not testing international passengers that land in Canada. No equipment.  Zero.

I guess Wilbur, we've had several tested cases of several workers from the northern Alberta oil sands go back to B.C.  they had covid. this is not people from China. My point, the borders between the provinces are also pororus...not airtight to prevent spread.

Tam was and is a lying whore to the demands China placed on the WHO.  That, is documented.  This is why there are multiple petitions demanding her termination from the position in Canada.  She can carry on representing the WHO which took a big hit today because of the China relation. 

The WHO mislead all nations by quieting the severity of Covid.  Tam received a letter from the CCP mid January confirming the virus was transferring person to person and that it was airborne, not just contact.  This is why in January, Justin sent our national emergency supply of PPE to China, leaving a severe shortage in Canada.  She carried on with her "no mask" campaign until March while the virus spread throughout Canada.  This quieting of the virus was at the request of the CCP to the WHO.  

Tam may be brilliant and she may be an infectious disease expert, but she played politics and the Canadian population has taken a huge number of deaths at her hands.   Yes, there is no testing at Canadian airports railways or bus terminals and the virus isn't fussy about forms of transport.  Of course it is spreading. 

45 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Tam was and is a lying whore to the demands China placed on the WHO.  That, is documented.  This is why there are multiple petitions demanding her termination from the position in Canada.  She can carry on representing the WHO which took a big hit today because of the China relation. 

The WHO mislead all nations by quieting the severity of Covid.  Tam received a letter from the CCP mid January confirming the virus was transferring person to person and that it was airborne, not just contact.  This is why in January, Justin sent our national emergency supply of PPE to China, leaving a severe shortage in Canada.  She carried on with her "no mask" campaign until March while the virus spread throughout Canada.  This quieting of the virus was at the request of the CCP to the WHO.  

Tam may be brilliant and she may be an infectious disease expert, but she played politics and the Canadian population has taken a huge number of deaths at her hands.   Yes, there is no testing at Canadian airports railways or bus terminals and the virus isn't fussy about forms of transport.  Of course it is spreading. 

the sad thing, Wilbur is that it is the WHO, not Tam.  At the same time, not enough was known about the nature of this virus back in January.  In Italy, there were a few mysterious cases back in December.

Unless we sent in Canadian medical experts to test in China to go against WHO, there wasn't much else we could have done without actually doing the tests on the patients themselves in China.  I wasn't aware of this huge petition to fire her.  It must be a whole underground Internet sublayer of folks going hysterical now who think they have the answer to be "right"  or find any easy target/explanation. 

You know, how does this solve the problem now?  It doesn't.  We always want to find a scapegoat.  Not the nursing homes that should have had better protocoal, PPE protection and best practices, yaddydadda.

For scale and virulent contagious nature of this virus in Canada....laying it on 1 person wouldn't still have stopped people from entering into Canada nor stopping employers from having lousy occupational health and safety practices in certain industries.

So I found out in past few days from another employee that a 90 yr. old  friend, died from covid. locally. She was not in a nursing home.

Then a wk. later, her ex-daughter in law plus her boyfriend got covid.  They aren't sure how.  Except he did go into B.C., not sure where. He got it first before her.

Then I heard from another employee whose hubby works in oil sands....a lot of those firms are keeping their mouth shut to the media about covid….except for Imperial Oil which disclosed they had a few covid cases among oil sands employees.

I believe in our organization ...we have 12-15 cases of covid among employees in past 2 months.

Tam is a director for infectious disease for the WHO.   We don't need a scapegoat.  We need to hold responsible people accountable for their actions.  She was one of 8 at the WHO that withheld information and was lying to the Canadian people on the use of PPE. .   I also hold the entire CCP and Justin Trudeau responsible as well.  He willfully left Canada exposed knowing the threat it was. 

The mining industry in Northern Ontario has also been plagued.  Not fun. 

26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Tam is a director for infectious disease for the WHO.   We don't need a scapegoat.  We need to hold responsible people accountable for their actions.  She was one of 8 at the WHO that withheld information and was lying to the Canadian people on the use of PPE. .   I also hold the entire CCP and Justin Trudeau responsible as well.  He willfully left Canada exposed knowing the threat it was. 

The mining industry in Northern Ontario has also been plagued.  Not fun. 

So Justin Trudeau is just as irresponsible as Trump?  Has he been making irresponsible comments to the public and to the press, and giving irresponsible direction for the past 2.5 months to Canadians on the same scale of scary error as Trump? Give your head a shake, Wilbur. Or maybe because Trump doesn't like/trust WHO ever, which maybe in your eyes makes Trump better than Justin?  What an embarrassment...

Anyway, this is getting political.

And I'm glad we rarely use tear gas in peaceful protests in front of govn't buildings in CAnada.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So Justin Trudeau is just as irresponsible as Trump?  Has he been making irresponsible comments to the public and to the press, and giving irresponsible direction for the past 2.5 months to Canadians on the same scale of scary error as Trump? Give your head a shake, Wilbur. Or maybe because Trump doesn't like/trust WHO ever, which maybe in your eyes makes Trump better than Justin?  What an embarrassment...

Anyway, this is getting political.

I never mentioned Trump nor am I a supporter.  Trump acted on flights from China.  That was the correct decision.  Canada never did.  That was a bad decision.  Trump was slow enforcing social distancing. That was a bad decision.  Trudeau acted sooner once it became apparent this was serious.  Trump went all-in getting PPE's and ventilators.  Good decision.  Trudeau gave away our PPE's and was then refused them by the US and China sent us crap that has now been incinerated.  Bad decision.   On a per capita basis, we slowly gain on the US in both cases and deaths.  It is predicted that once under control, we will match the US per capita.   Trump was slow in testing.  Parts of Canada were slow in testing.  Ontario still isn't up to speed.  The Liberals in Canada have not commenced testing.  Well, they started 10 days ago.  Bad decision.  

Don't let your Trump hate fuzzy the facts.  We are not light years ahead of the US and we are catching up. So, Justin supporting Tam and refusing to act on the CCP, yes, he is far worse. 

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I never mentioned Trump nor am I a supporter.  Trump acted on flights from China.  That was the correct decision.  Canada never did.  That was a bad decision.  Trump was slow enforcing social distancing. That was a bad decision.  Trudeau acted sooner once it became apparent this was serious.  Trump went all-in getting PPE's and ventilators.  Good decision.  Trudeau gave away our PPE's and was then refused them by the US and China sent us crap that has now been incinerated.  Bad decision.   On a per capita basis, we slowly gain on the US in both cases and deaths.  It is predicted that once under control, we will match the US per capita.   Trump was slow in testing.  Parts of Canada were slow in testing.  Ontario still isn't up to speed.  The Liberals in Canada have not commenced testing.  Well, they started 10 days ago.  Bad decision.  

Don't let your Trump hate fuzzy the facts.  We are not light years ahead of the US and we are catching up. So, Justin supporting Tam and refusing to act on the CCP, yes, he is far worse. 

Each province does have a degree of power in terms of which priority groups /frequency they can test.

Alberta just gave the okay yesterday....that any Albertan can ask for testing (and it's free). It came from the provincial chief medical officer.  Even those who don't have any symptoms.  They wish to get to the root of the problems.  So at this time Alberta is moving ahead of Ontario in terms of breadth of testing...but then Alberta has a lot smaller population than Ontario.

It has very little to do with Liberal federal govn't.  It is a provincial medical health authority decision.   Our situation is quite different from U.S. I also believe the radical groups that want more opening up of businesses faster are far more extreme in U.S. to a point, some groups have stormed into the state legislatures.  Who wants that type of irrational shake-up over a disease that requires a vaccine to eradicate a lot?

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

... which is why it is probably happening?

I think so.  Greater Toronto has population of 4 million which also has the most covid cases in Ontario.  The biggest city Calgary which also has the most covid cases in Alberta, has a population of 1.2 million.

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

You have 10 times the population.  :) 

In our case Washington State has a pop. around 7.5 million and BC is just over 5 million so these numbers are pretty significant 

19 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

t has very little to do with Liberal federal govn't.  It

Where I stated the Liberals haven't started testing, I meant at airports.  They did start, 10 days ago so that is good and it is Federal jurisdiction.  I had already made reference to the provinces. Sorry for the confusion.

20 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

In our case Washington State has a pop. around 7.5 million and BC is just over 5 million so these numbers are pretty significant 

Yep.  Probably the population distribution.  Seattle area and Spokane and Vancouver Wa. hold most of the population of the state.  BC has greater distribution when you consider Victoria, Naniamo, Vancouver, Prince George, Ft St John, the Okanagan valley Osoyoos to Kamloops. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yep.  Probably the population distribution.  Seattle area and Spokane and Vancouver Wa. hold most of the population of the state.  BC has greater distribution when you consider Victoria, Naniamo, Vancouver, Prince George, Ft St John, the Okanagan valley Osoyoos to Kamloops. 

Yes, The population density is likely a factor here too..., plus the number of actual tests.

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Don't forget Nelson. ;)

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That is where Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah shot Roxanne.  Yours truly flew them all over there.  

I drove through there as a young, single man and stopped in at a coffee shop. Never forget the woman eyeing me there. I was semi-stupid for not pursuing it. She was gorgeous.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, Wilbur said:

Trump went all-in getting PPE's and ventilators.

I would mention that our president has been known to almost never sometimes kinda often always lie like a rug.  Anything he did toward that was dragging and screaming and had to be shamed to do anything at all, all after long delays.