Switched to different internet/telecomm provider in time

shootingstar

Late last year, out of desperation I switched to a different Internet/telecommunications company.  My internet service performance was slowing down a lot.

Good thing I got a good deal (only for 2 yrs.) but at least way faster and more reliable....now that I've been working from home full-time last few months. And there is nothing employer would have helped any employee when working from home in this area.

I almost dread when I lose my special price deal what the fees will be like later.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Late last year, out of desperation I switched to a different Internet/telecommunications company.  My internet service performance was slowing down a lot.

Good thing I got a good deal (only for 2 yrs.) but at least way faster and more reliable....now that I've been working from home full-time last few months. And there is nothing employer would have helped any employee when working from home in this area.

I almost dread when I lose my special price deal what the fees will be like later.

Set a date to start negotiating in your calendar.  I have never paid posted price for any cable services.  Call them, let them know you are displeased and looking at options and they will fall in line.  Like a former boss of mine always said, "only goyem pay full retail."  :) 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Usually they have a "loss prevention" type department. When the rate is about to go up, call and cancel.  They will try to sweeten the deal - a little - but push back and say, "No, that's too much still."  Eventually they kick you over to the "special" folks who just end up giving you the lower rate for another couple years.

I'm lucky enough to have the choice of Comcast or Verizon Fios, so I just swap as soon as the current one irritates me.

In the last 2 weeks, I've had to teach 4 employees each time for 2 different courses, completely online.  Each course was 1.5 hrs. long and I was executing searches remotely through our internal enterprise system and flipping through screens while talking and demonstrating stuff, etc.  There is no way, that I can even have crappy Internet speed when doing such work online.  And these courses, I'm rated as an instructor, so everything I do, is noticed.

Then I found out, in next few wks.,  I will be presenting remotely online to a public committee ….3 city councillors, the mayor and 2-3 members of public nominated to the committee.  Again my technology can't fail. However if stuff craps out the night before, I can....always go back to the office to use my office computer.