I made a meat pizza

Dirtyhip

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is the first time in many years that I did a meat pizza.  

My husband has been working hard, so I did this for him.

Thicker crust, extra sauce and some Italian sausage.  At least I didn't put pineapple on it.  

What a lovely wife you are.  

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Black olives are awesome on pizza

I made the sauce with fresh herbs.  Well, the basil wasn't fresh.  Just the rosemary and oregano was.\

Sourdough crust.

I will even smile when I serve up a piece of it.  But, the smile comes with an eye roll. :rolleyes:

• Heart 1

Well done! It's fun to make stuff you haven't had for a while.

I hadn't had pancakes or ground beef Stroganoff in months so that was the last two days' breakfasts and dinners.

The one supermarket I wanted to limit myself to didn't have pancake syrup so I grabbed a jar of Smucker's Strawberry Preserves,

So here's Bisquick pancakes with strawberry preserves and Brown N Serve Vermont Maple Sausage and ground beef Stroganoff over extra-wide egg noodles:

20200529_080634.thumb.jpg.aeac814ce371611e2eb4da9446bb2a68.jpg

20200529_194224.thumb.jpg.b565d2adb75aa9c2c3568d069b689b4b.jpg

• Heart 2

Lucky to see some Orioles!  They are exceedingly rare in Maryland except around Camden Yards Stadium where they are nowhere near as good as they were half a century ago.

We had names for the ones we used to see.  This one we called The Human Vacuum Cleaner because so little got past him at 3rd base.

Amazon.com: 2018 Topps Archives Baseball #138 Brooks Robinson ...

I also like green peppers, but they never seem to put enough on at the pizza joints.  We use to, but haven't for a while made pizza with ground lamb. We think it is tasty.  We use  to do this a lot in South Dakota in the late 60s, as ground lamb was very cheap on campus at South Dakota State University. We could buy lamb cheaper than having one of ours slaughtered.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I would totally eat that, except I don't like olives on pizza, can you take out the eggs?  Maybe the cheese, meat, and flour too?

Here ya go. I made you a pizza 🍅 🍄 

...and eggs? What the hell are you talking about? There are no eggs on my pizza.

8 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Because of you, DH, I just made a late-night snacky pizza.  :)

I left it in the oven a minute too long, but it was very nice indeed.  The ultra white cheese is the farmers cheese.  It was fine.

8DEB93C2-D77E-4F66-899E-D9C5B31C6A23.jpeg

What temp do you cook at? 
I crank mine to 500. I think that is the highest setting I can do. 

I used to do 450, and that is not nearly hot enough to mimic a pizza oven. 

Been working on my husband to build me a brick oven in the yard.maybe I need to with hold pizza, until he makes one for me. 😂 

4 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

You must share your crust recipe.  please.... 

Of course.  Happy to oblige.  Please forgive though, as I free formed a bit, 

You will make a dough sponge the night before with:

This will make 2 thin crust pizzas or 1 large thicker crust pizza, if you are gluttonous like we are.

In a non-metal bowl -1 cup of warm water, 1/2 tsp of yeast, 1 tbsp of sugar (i used raw sugar), 3/4 tsp of kosher salt, about a large ice cream scoop size of sourdough starter, 1 cup of ww flour, 1 tbsp of vital gluten, and about another 1/2 cup of white bread flour (I just scooped this little by little but I think it was about a cup).  Mix all of this together well with a spatula till it is smooth and incorporated.  This stirring action will activate the gluten.  Don't go crazy here, because you don't want to make it tough.  

What you will have at this step is like thick cake batter, but not pizza dough.  More like a sponge.  Now, rest overnight, covered, in the fridge.  You want to retard the yeast to slow it down. 

The next day, about 2 pm, I took out the sponge and mixed the rest of the white flour into the recipe.  I think it was about another 1.5 cups, but I am not sure.   Just add 1/2 cup at a time, using a spatula to mix it around until it is incorporated.  Be cautious as to not add too much flour.  You will eventually get your hands in there, to knead it briefly.  At the end of the flour cycle, I drizzled it with olive oil and kneaded that in.  When you poke it with your finger and it is not sticky anymore, the finger poke will tend to rise back up at you.  At that point, you are ready to rest, at room temp.  My home was about 60-70.  A colder home may take longer.  I rested for about 3 hours.  

At 5 pm, I dumped the dough on a plate with a generous amount of flour. Maybe 3 tbsp. The dough will deflate and relax while you chop and prepare your ingredients.  

I used sausage (pre cook these in a pan till it is just slightly underdone), and mushrooms (sautee these in a pan and squeeze the mushrooms to get out the excess juice).  I even saved my mushroom juice in a jar of broth to make quinoa or rice tomorrow, but I digress here).  :)  

I heated up my oven with a pizza stone to 500 F.  I heated the stone for about 30 minutes at 500.  

Get a piece of parchment paper and gently spread out the dough on it.  Add your sauce and toppings, then put the pizza on the parchment onto your stone.  Work quickly when you open the oven.  The heat will go down about 50 degrees with an open door.  When your pizza is looking like it has risen a bit and is stable but not nearly done, yank out the parchment.  Think of this part as a race.  

Let the pizza cook on the stone until it is carmelized very well.  When you think it is done, lift the crust to make sure it is crispy on the bottom and you are done.  

After I remove it from the oven, I let it rest for a moment or two to let the juices and cheese simmer down.  Maybe I need a sharper pizza cutter.  Mine yanked off the cheese a bit if I don't rest for a moment.  

9 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Kalamata olives on a pizza are great, I find California olives rubbery and namby-pamby at best.  Green olives on a pizza are nice if you mix them up with the Kalamatas.

WHAT?  California olives are great.

It must be hard for you to be so wrong all the time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

WHAT?  California olives are great.

It must be hard for you to be so wrong all the time.

I don't know aboot the origin, but canned black olives are totally tasteless!  It is like they aren't cured or something.  I agree with RG - kalamata and green olives are good, but most black ones suck.  I've had oil cured ones from an olive bar that are ok though. 

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I don't know aboot the origin, but canned black olives are totally tasteless!  It is like they aren't cured or something.  I agree with RG - kalamata and green olives are good, but most black ones suck.  I've had oil cured ones from an olive bar that are ok though. 

The ones I used were from the olive pit in Cali.  They are quite good.  More firm than your usual grocery variety.

I have never seen black olives that were not in a can.  I guess maybe at some hoity olive bar.  We lack those here in my town.  I get what I can.  

Olive oit is pretty famous on the West coast.