The world has gone batshit crazy

Airehead

Dawn brings a lot of ugly pictures from all across the country.  We are fortunate here if CT that protesters chose to protest in the strongest manner without looting and burning.  Yes they marched down streets and even closed a highway but they probably deserve that right.

Burning and looting however.........how does that improve relations?

24 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Dawn brings a lot of ugly pictures from all across the country.  We are fortunate here if CT that protesters chose to protest in the strongest manner without looting and burning.  Yes they marched down streets and even closed a highway but they probably deserve that right.

Burning and looting however.........how does that improve relations?

It doesn’t improve relations. But I don’t think that’s the intent, anymore. And it’s gone well beyond “torch a system that is so broken” to simply a chance to act out against authority.

It loses all support from most moderate individuals, and hardens the prejudices of the extremes, although I don’t think these “protestors” care about the views from the Middle.

• Heart 1

The problem is..those anarchists are mobile and if they think they can do their thing..cause more chaos and stir up bad feelings about other groups of people..they are gonna participate....I gotta say the officials and our governor have other sources of info than just what is rumor on the street. Yes there are asshole trouble makers in every population...but officials are saying the coordinated effort of destruction we have seen is the work of more than our local activists and protesters ....I don't know it is sad....I am glad I have virus provisions in my house cos stores and gas stations are pretty much closed down in the city and the first couple of tiers of suburbs...Hell lots of freeways were closed down from 7pm to 6am 

11 hours ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

I would like to see evidence of outsiders.   Our local government is stating the same thing too.  But I would not be surprised if certain groups are actually involved.   I have my suspicions of one group in particular.  Back in the day, I was briefly a member.  If true, they are playing out what they have wanted to do for years. 

At least one of the guys involved with setting the first police car on fire has been identified as a local dude who lives just off Monroe and hangs out in front on Enright’s. Our city, like most others, has home grown folks who are motivated by using violence  to create their vision of how they world should be.  Who really knows if they had help from outside. They are misguided. I am incredibly sad today. 

• Hugs 1

12 hours ago, Airehead said:

A very moving peaceful protest has turned violent in Rochester. All of Monroe County is on lockdown starting at 9. Even Wegmans is closing. 

Last night I watched an episode of American Experience about the 1920 bombing of Wall Street. Senseless killing and destruction by an anarchist, but very similar social and economic conditions to today. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Airehead said:

A very moving peaceful protest has turned violent in Rochester. All of Monroe County is on lockdown starting at 9. Even Wegmans is closing. 

I'm sure the VAST majority of protestors are appalled at looting and destruction of property.

There is a small minority that decides to take advantage of the confusion during mass protests to rob and carry away pharmaceuticals, TV's, food, etc.

Unfortunately, some minority leaders try to legitimize looting and robbing and destruction as necessary to get the message across.  Bull!  There are other ways as Martin Luther King, Mohandas Gandhi, and others demonstrated to strike at the economic aspects that get the attention desired.  The Black Mayor of Atlanta said of destruction, "This isn't Atlanta!" and she was right about the majority or people of all colors.

The looters and destroyers of property need to be treated as the criminals they are, but its hard to do without enraging the crowd until their community and religious leaders begin condemning the actions in unison.

45 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm sure the VAST majority of protestors are appalled at looting and destruction of property.

There is a small minority that decides to take advantage of the confusion during mass protests to rob and carry away pharmaceuticals, TV's, food, etc.

Unfortunately, some minority leaders try to legitimize looting and robbing and destruction as necessary to get the message across.  Bull!  There are other ways as Martin Luther King, Mohandas Gandhi, and others demonstrated to strike at the economic aspects that get the attention desired.  The Black Mayor of Atlanta said of destruction, "This isn't Atlanta!" and she was right about the majority or people of all colors.

The looters and destroyers of property need to be treated as the criminals they are, but its hard to do without enraging the crowd until their community and religious leaders begin condemning the actions in unison.

African American leaders do have a point though.  Change is coming glacially slow using little but peaceful "explanations".  Somebody in government is going to have to get off their asses and address the poverty and ethnic problems in much of our country.  We aren't going to get generations more time to melt together as a solution.  I suspect that the African American vote is going to have a big part in upcoming elections.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

So thankful for my corner of paradise.  Still silent here.  

I am going on a long gravel grinder with a couple pals.  

C U later, gaters.

I went out and pick a batch of asparagus. This was my first picking and probably my last. Flavor is lost as the temperatures rise. My wife was happy with what I got, so there is that!!

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I’m not convinced that we know who is responsible for a majority of the mayhem to be able to comment about their communities or community leaders.

• Heart 2

Portland was hit pretty hard in the downtown. A peaceful march started on the north side and got downtown. A bit after 11:00 pm the riot started & looting. Reports that most buildings in the downtown core were hit. I suspect a lot of that was grafitti. The Justice Center was breached & a fire was set. I think it was the public entrance w/glass doors. 

In Portland the traditional start of riot season is May Day. So we are a bit behind

Lil Scrapr works as a rent a cop security just a bit West (about 4 blocks) of the core area. He was off last night. Works tonight 5:30 pm-5:30 am. It's a construction site. 

Bend saw a protest downtown yesterday. About 3-400 people. My neighbor went. I should have gone. No reports of looting. A big hail storm rolled through about 2:00 pm. Probably kept the rabble indoors