When I don’t know what to do...

Airehead

....I bring food. Making and gathering food at the moment to take downtown.  Peaceful clean up is going to start at 10:30. My first stop is to my friends who own the local Fleet Feet running stores. We know they are already there cleaning up. Next, the plan is to just travel about handing out food to those pushing brooms and clearing debris.   Wish I could do something that matters more. I am so sad. The message that needed to be heard was lost last night. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

Civil unrest is not good.  This is no longer about the death of one man.  Maybe, never was.  I think the pandemic panic and psychological effects of the lockdown are further reaching than anyone thought.  Combined with the current polarization of the American public and an election year, the perfect storm has arrived.  

Sad days, for sure.   I am rethinking the drive and may just fly home out of Boston.  The last thing I want is to become involved in mob violence and rioting. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Civil unrest is not good.  This is no longer about the death of one man.  Maybe, never was.  I think the pandemic panic and psychological effects of the lockdown are further reaching than anyone thought.  Combined with the current polarization of the American public and an election year, the perfect storm has arrived.  

Sad days, for sure.   I am rethinking the drive and may just fly home out of Boston.  The last thing I want is to become involved in mob violence and rioting. 

IMO so long as your trip remains outside of city centers you should be quite unaffected.  Springfield Mass is on your way to the New York Throughway and it is not a hotbed of activity.  This was the local protest.

6DC6FF16B5734137B163BFCDEE0E0253.jpg

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

IMO so long as your trip remains outside of city centers you should be quite unaffected.  Springfield Mass is on your way to the New York Throughway and it is not a hotbed of activity.  This was the local protest.

Yeah but with those hotties, tomorrows crowd might be huge!  :) 

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Is that DH’s new fence?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

We had protests in Baltimore.  100% peaceful until around 10 pm last night when a news crew reporter was punched (local Fox News affiliate) and there were a few cases where the glass in doors and windows of stores and banks were broken but no one entered them and one case where a fire was started but it was quickly put out.

I think people in Baltimore remember that the destruction after the 2015 Freddie Gray Riots did, by far, the most harm to the Black communities and don't want a repeat - depriving them of grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

Still, there are bound to be jerks who want to use this as an opportunity to steal or destroy and hopefully there won't be enough confusion to give them the opportunity.

What are the Black leaders saying continued protests need to accomplish?

The four police officers involved were all fired and the only one who knelt on his neck is officially charged with murder.

What else do they want?

Note there are a lot of White people killed in similar questionable instances but they are not considered newsworthy, including the one killed in Colorado the same time Michael Brown died in less clear circumstances in Missouri shortly after robbing a store and roughing-up a sales clerk.  But only Brown was newsworthy.

So are these protests ONLY concerned with "Black Lives Matter"?  Why not "All Lives Matter?"

11 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

What are the Black leaders saying continued protests need to accomplish?

The four police officers involved were all fired and the only one who knelt on his neck is officially charged with murder.

What else do they want?

Note there are a lot of White people killed in similar questionable instances but they are not considered newsworthy, including the one killed in Colorado the same time Michael Brown died in less clear circumstances in Missouri shortly after robbing a store and roughing-up a sales clerk.  But only Brown was newsworthy.

So are these protests ONLY concerned with "Black Lives Matter"?  Why not "All Lives Matter?"

I did some reading of various papers last night and watched a few YT videos.  The interviewees I saw kept saying the want justice but they all want to skip the justice part and go straight to prison or death for all involved.  So, they don't want justice, they want retribution. 

Every stat I have ever seen on the matter shows more white lives lost to the police, than blacks on an annualized basis.  Clearly, white lives don't matter as much.  :)  

I had a discussion about WW2 with a German friend of mine and I will always remember a line he used.  It applies to this situation.  "How long must the sons pay for the sins of their fathers?" 

There have been and there are some great leaders in the black community but they end up being shunned.  You have to want to pull yourself out of the gutter.

Trials for murder often take a year or longer no matter who you are or who you killed.  It's the nature of law, lawyers and investigations.  Having said that however there are places in the south where similar sentiment exists for an African American killer as does the sentiment in the case of these protests.

Among other things, this is an urban protest.  Most of the bad conditions are enhanced for those living in the inner cities from poverty to long lockdowns due to virus to neighborhoods of various minorities.

I have a mixed race family but we are not an urban family.  None of my family members encounter exactly the same problems that they would in an inner city.

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

The fact that there were 4 officers there and none of the other three walked over and said "Fuck dude, what are you doing?  Get the hell off of him." Is simply appalling.  

These four assholes make me embarrassed to have a badge in my back pocket

I would really love to see what led to these final moments though.  I am not disagreeing with you.  I just want to know how it got to the point a life was taken.  You are right, someone should have said something. 

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I would really love to see what led to these final moments though.

What led to up to that pojnt is irrelevant really.  Although we do not teach or use a 'knee on neck" control method, violent arrest are ugly things and 'control the head, control the body' is a thing.  

But once the subject is hancuffed and searched, YOU are in control.  What happened before should not affect what you do now.  Simple moderate pressure with a palm between the shoulder blades will keep them in place.  

In fact we teach tactically that once cuffed  and searched to at least sit them up because when you are on your knees in public it leaves you vunerable from public attack.  

In spite of what went down prior, once cuffed and searched, they should have taken two or three deep breaths.  They had won.  Buddy's freedom was taken away, at least temporarily.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

What led to up to that pojnt is irrelevant really.  Although we do not teach or use a 'knee on neck" control method, violent arrest are ugly things and 'control the head, control the body' is a thing.  

But once the subject is hancuffed and searched, YOU are in control.  What happened before should not affect what you do now.  Simple moderate pressure with a palm between the shoulder blades will keep them in place.  

In fact we teach tactically that once cuffed  and searched to at least sit them up because when you are on your knees in public it leaves you vunerable from public attack.  

In spite of what went down prior, once cuffed and searched, they should have taken two or three deep breaths.  They had won.  Buddy's freedom was taken away, at least temporarily.  

This is why I wonder.  I don't know if the man was a threat to the public at large or resisted arrest or attempted physical violence or maybe just lipped off a little.  These things escalate so quickly.  This is why I posted the other day that people need to do what a cop tells them.  Face down on the ground?  Do it.  If you do as told, there is no way to escalate it to your own death.  Be respectful, do as told and live to fight it in front of a judge.   

Just a couple of weeks ago, this happened in New Brunswick and it is a perfect example of what I am talking about.  Sorry, it is on Rebel News but that is the only copy I could find. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

....I bring food. Making and gathering food at the moment to take downtown.  Peaceful clean up is going to start at 10:30. My first stop is to my friends who own the local Fleet Feet running stores. We know they are already there cleaning up. Next, the plan is to just travel about handing out food to those pushing brooms and clearing debris.   Wish I could do something that matters more. I am so sad. The message that needed to be heard was lost last night. 

You're doing the best thing right now and for friends.

There are occasional times, I feel very much my life is so different from people in this forum.  I tell family stories to younger niece etc. about racial incidents experienced by various family members and the work I was involved in as a volunteer so long ago on race relations.  I have not yet written much on my blog about some of this.  Our national organization occasionally partnered with some of the local blacker leaders in Toronto, particularily in the areas of news media reporting, social service support programs, etc.

I'm not sure Wilbur has much to worry. As long as driving through small towns..would be ok.  After all Metro Toronto has the biggest Afro-Canadian community ...in all of CAnada.  But then living in Oakville, unless there are black middle class folks, there it's a more comfortable, protected life in some of the  'burbs further out.

Toronto has the strongest and longest history in Canada, along with Halifax (long black history) of black community leaders and activists. And the community is incredibly diverse...meaning people from various Carribbean islands, U.K.  

I bought and lived in a condo in one of the poorer areas of Toronto, a little bit out in the 'burbs.  There were known drug deals going on', some gun shoot-outs in certain buildings near our building.  I knew that others outside of the neighbourhood had an incomplete biased view of the people who lived...anytime we talk about poor, non-white and immigrant, it throws up a certain image.  (Forgetting of course, crap and crime happens in wealthier neighbourhoods, it's just disguised better with a more 'respectable' front.)  But anyway, that stuff didn't bother me....I figured I blended well by being non-white (I kid you not ...that's how I do feel sometimes in terms of "safety".) :D I was happy to cycle into the extensive pathway/park system, or shoot down in 10 min. to Lake Ontario.  Walk around going grocery shopping 5 min. away.

At this point in life, my role is to support the next generations in my family, pass on stories.  Support my niece who has made it her mission to write and publish novels about interracial love, by suggesting some characters/plots/ideas.  I haven't thought about volunteer work because the city where I live, ...I am not inspired. Besides there's other parts of me, the creative side that needs to be developed.

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

'm not sure Wilbur has much to worry. As long as driving through small towns..would be ok.  After all Metro Toronto has the biggest Afro-Canadian community ...in all of CAnada.  But then living in Oakville, unless there are black middle class folks, there it's a more comfortable, protected life in some of the  'burbs further out.

Please stop your racist and classist bashings.  It really is annoying. 

Do you want to know who commits the majority of grand theft and break and enter crimes in Burlington/Oakville?  I have the information. 

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

(Forgetting of course, crap and crime happens in wealthier neighbourhoods, it's just disguised better with a more 'respectable' front.) 

This is wrong.  And what you are implying is wrong.  Having been a Police Officer for 30 years in 6 of Canada's 10 Provinces, I can tell you that poorer neighbourhoods, regardless of the ethnic background, have a much higher occurence of property crime, of crimes against persons, of domestic crimes, police calls for service and fed stat crimes (drugs etc)  than your 'wealthier' neighborhoods.

While crimes do indeed occur everywhere  by people of every race creed and colour, in Canada anyway it is more stratified by economic bases as opposed to ethnicity

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Please stop your racist and classist bashings.  It really is annoying. 

Do you want to know who commits the majority of grand theft and break and enter crimes in Burlington/Oakville?  I have the information. 

Sure Wilbur, who commits the majority of theft in your area?

My comments about suburbs...are what the impressions that many people have about 'burbs of big cities. That's why people move out there...in addition to the reality, that sometimes might be cheaper at times (and depends when.)

I'm not sure of your accusations about me are accurate and meaningful at all for the person that I am. But go ahead and ask yourself what that is achieving in this forum.  After all, I live a comfortable life right now...that's protected right now.  I know that and hope not to take it for granted.  I know my privileges...though earned the hard way in life but only up to a certain point.  

13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

This is wrong.  And what you are implying is wrong.  Having been a Police Officer for 30 years in 6 of Canada's 10 Provinces, I can tell you that poorer neighbourhoods, regardless of the ethnic background, have a much higher occurence of property crime, of crimes against persons, of domestic crimes, police calls for service and fed stat crimes (drugs etc)  than your 'wealthier' neighborhoods.

While crimes do indeed occur everywhere  by people of every race creed and colour, in Canada anyway it is more stratified by economic bases as opposed to ethnicity

Not denying this....however with ie. the money laundering going on.  After the speculation tax was put into place in Vancouver to deal with people who were trying to claim lower income for nicer homes they were living in...at least part of the time.  

There's a super fine line at times between normality vs.....ie. tax evasion .legitimate and not.  white collar crime and other areas of crime..

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Sure Wilbur, who commits the majority of theft in your area?

My comments about suburbs...are what the impressions that many people have about 'burbs of big cities. That's why people move out there...in addition to the reality, that sometimes might be cheaper at times (and depends when.)

I'm not sure of your accusations about me are accurate and meaningful at all for the person that I am. But go ahead and ask yourself what that is achieving in this forum.  After all, I live a comfortable life right now...that's protected right now.  I know that and hope not to take it for granted.  I know my privileges...though earned the hard way in life but only up to a certain point.  

The kids within the surround neighbourhoods.  Most of the crimes are "of convenience".  Some of them from very wealthy families.  The autos are most often found nearby.  

Yesterday in the discussion, I mentioned Tam and her relationship to the CCP through her role at the WHO.  You immediately came back with a comment that I was making those statements because of race.   An incorrect assertion.  I made it because of her role, to defend the Canadian public was compromised by her role within the WHO at the demands of the CCP.   I don't dislike her because she is Asian, I dislike her for putting Canadians and all countries at further risk. From Jan 18 to May 3, she pushed a no PPE suggestion knowing full well, the official WHO recommendation was a lie. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The kids within the surround neighbourhoods.  Most of the crimes are "of convenience".  Some of them from very wealthy families.  The autos are most often found nearby.  

Yesterday in the discussion, I mentioned Tam and her relationship to the CCP through her role at the WHO.  You immediately came back with a comment that I was making those statements because of race.   An incorrect assertion.  I made it because of her role, to defend the Canadian public was compromised by her role within the WHO at the demands of the CCP.   I don't dislike her because she is Asian, I dislike her for putting Canadians and all countries at further risk. From Jan 18 to May 3, she pushed a no PPE suggestion knowing full well, the official WHO recommendation was a lie. 

I never got the impression about no PPE even as far back as April...anyway you're talking to someone with multiple siblings working in Toronto hospitals now..who already the hospitals back in late Mar. (not necessarily all the nursing homes) were wearing some PPE. The problem was supply, desperate at the time. for the health care facilities in Canada.

She did change her position about masks....but that's no guarantee.  She said so.  Let her change her position.  When I first heard her...she sounded like a true research scientists ...they say a lot of qualifiers... "known at this time", etc.  Sounds like a lot of engineers in real life since I"ve worked with them and have several family members who are licensed engineers.

Unfortunately in the public, they have no patience for nuanced language and qualifiers. A lot of people want black and white answers. No waffling, no "maybe" , etc.

Anyway she's allowed to her opinion nationally ...unlike Dr. Fauci in the U.S.

13 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I never got the impression about no PPE even as far back as April...anyway you're talking to someone with multiple siblings working in Toronto hospitals now..who already the hospitals back in late Mar. (not necessarily all the nursing homes) were wearing some PPE. The problem was supply, desperate at the time. for the health care facilities in Canada.

She did change her position about masks....but that's no guarantee.  She said so.  Let her change her position.  When I first heard her...she sounded like a true research scientists ...they say a lot of qualifiers... "known at this time", etc.  Sounds like a lot of engineers in real life since I"ve worked with them and have several family members who are licensed engineers.

Unfortunately in the public, they have no patience for nuanced language and qualifiers. A lot of people want black and white answers. No waffling, no "maybe" , etc.

Anyway she's allowed to her opinion nationally ...unlike Dr. Fauci in the U.S.

She is allowed an opinion but when it is January and you have a letter from Beijing in front of you that says, "we lied.  Is is a person to person airborne virus but you keep telling the public not to wear masks until May, that is negligence.  It is her job to keep Canadians safe.  

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

She is allowed an opinion but when it is January and you have a letter from Beijing in front of you that says, "we lied.  Is is a person to person airborne virus but you keep telling the public not to wear masks until May, that is negligence.  It is her job to keep Canadians safe.  

Cloth masks are no guarantee and it needs to happen with social distancing is far more effective, plus cleaning hands constantly.

Last week, we were asked to show up at my boss' retirement good-bye in a big board room.  There's 10 of us.  Also we will be supplied 2 masks (if we don't have our own). A lot of people just don't want to be close even with a mask.

31 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Did the letter really say "we lied" or is that a very loose translation from "we have new information"?

I'd love to see the video that Tam said literally we lied.  

Max I had to wear a cloth mask when flying back from Vancouver to Calgary   because federal Transport Canada deemed it so as a federal order as of Apr. 20, 2020.  So I had to hurry up and sew my mask approx. 3 days before I flew out from Vancouver since I have my sewing machine. That wouldn't have happened without strong internal medical recommendation.

As for the situation at the hospitals in Canada, they were armed as best as they could be with whatever PPE they had...then Justin Trudeau ordered via federal Supply and Procurement to get more PPE..etc.   So the hospitals unlike the Canadians...were already informed back in early March or even earlier and trying to act as they best could at ground level. Yea, I was chatting up with siblings what was going on in their workplaces.

So the exaggeration that Canadians suffered because of 1 person or 2 people, is abit weird  when the federal govn't was trying to move as fast possible supply-wise. In speaking with a sibling, re nursing homes, she suspects the staff didn't discard their PPE when they went from one patient room to another.  If there is already a shortage of PPE, this is what can happen...easily.  So people died in nursing homes of covid...and we blame it on Tam or Justin Trudeau.

Or airline staff get covid...and they will blame on 1-2 people.  Meanwhile there are still, international flights between Canada and elsewhere.   Not the airlines admitting they should have taken precaution for their staff earlier, etc.

Anyway enuff.  

46 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Did the letter really say "we lied" or is that a very loose translation from "we have new information"?

There several documents that were submitted and published for internal use.  They were published by the Public Health Agency of Canada in a Health Portfolio Situation Report.  It spells out the time line of what China was stating and what they were saying counters the documented cases of the disease.  It wasn't until the US CDC told China, "We see evidence of human to human transfer" that China admitted they had "supplied incorrect data".  

I call that a lie and I am not alone in doing so.   So from that point in early January, right through to early May, Tam was stating there was no need for the public to use PPE.  A week later, after this was declared a pandemic, she changed her tune and stated the "Wearing of masks and gloves by the public would restrict the spread of C-19.  That tells me she lied for three months to the Canadian public.  Remember, she is one of 7 that sit on the WHO board that makes these recommendations. 

Once Trump found out about the CDC findings, he closed the borders.  Good move.  That may have saved hundreds of thousands.  My kind of xenophobia. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

There several documents that were submitted and published for internal use.  They were published by the Public Health Agency of Canada in a Health Portfolio Situation Report.  It spells out the time line of what China was stating and what they were saying counters the documented cases of the disease.  It wasn't until the US CDC told China, "We see evidence of human to human transfer" that China admitted they had "supplied incorrect data".  

I call that a lie and I am not alone in doing so.   So from that point in early January, right through to early May, Tam was stating there was no need for the public to use PPE.  A week later, after this was declared a pandemic, she changed her tune and stated the "Wearing of masks and gloves by the public would restrict the spread of C-19.  That tells me she lied for three months to the Canadian public.  Remember, she is one of 7 that sit on the WHO board that makes these recommendations. 

Once Trump found out about the CDC findings, he closed the borders.  Good move.  That may have saved hundreds of thousands.  My kind of xenophobia. 

Closed the borders to Chinese nationals coming from the Wuhan area.  We did no better at detecting human to human transfer than the Chinese did.  In the meantime The area in and around New York City was being infected by travelers from Europe.  The next two months would be a disaster of "only a case" or "only 5 cases nothing to worry about here we're doing great".