So this is America

Prophet Zacharia

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Curfew enforcement is shooting people who are standing on their porch? 

I suppose it is.  That is what happened, right? 

They yelled to get inside.  Black clad people didn't move, gas was fired.  Like I say, do as law enforcement says. 

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Shoot people who are simply standing on their porch is not a legal intervention.

I don't know.   Not familiar with the lockdown laws wherever that took place.  That was definitely curfew enforcement though. 

Here is what the dictionary says.

cur·few
/ˈkərˌfyo͞o/

noun

1. a regulation requiring people to remain indoors between specified hours, typically at night.
    "a dusk-to-dawn curfew"

The optics are bad but... I heard at least 4 orders to go in their house.  Why didn’t they?  What time was it, after curfew?  How close where they tI the riots?    I’d like to know the whole story, not just their version of it.

However, as looters are trying to break into an REI In Santa Monica  I saw a group of citizens literally stand between the looters & doors. One female got thrown to the street, she got up and got back in place.  Looters then moved on.

This is America too!  

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

on't know.   Not familiar with the lockdown laws wherever that took place.  That was definitely curfew enforcement though. 

Here’s what the curfew impacted:

The mayor announced that during the hours of curfew, people "must not travel on any public street or in any public place." 

They are on private property. They are not creating a scene. Away from the road. Standing on a porch.

Punishment for breaking curfew is up to 90 days jail or $1000 fine. Not being shot at.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Here’s what the curfew impacted:

The mayor announced that during the hours of curfew, people "must not travel on any public street or in any public place." 

They are on private property. They are not creating a scene. Away from the road. Standing on a porch.

Punishment for breaking curfew is up to 90 days jail or $1000 fine. Not being shot at.

Whoever that was, police or military, has a different thought on it.  Maybe the Mayor doesn't understand what a curfew mandate entails.  Wouldn't be the first time a politician was wrong. 

Very strong enforcement anyways.  

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Whoever that was, police or military, has a different thought on it.  Maybe the Mayor doesn't understand what a curfew mandate entails.  Wouldn't be the first time a politician was wrong. 

Fortunately the police and military have never used excessive force when interacting with non-violent offenders.

Just now, Further said:

I consider my porch to be part of my house.

So do I but if a curfew states you must remain indoors, the porch doesn't meet the expectation of officers.  I don't know where or what the laws are there though.  Clearly, enforcement wasn't happy with the porch.  

Yes, in the middle of a curfew with the national guard mobilized and a squad of police marching up the street armed and shouting get inside, this is America.  To think elsewise or to protest and stand on your rights is inviting trouble needlessly.  Common sense doesn't look for trouble.

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yes, in the middle of a curfew with the national guard mobilized and a squad of police marching up the street armed and shouting get inside, this is America.  To think elsewise or to protest and stand on your rights is inviting trouble needlessly.  Common sense doesn't look for trouble.

I liked the good old days where back talking a cop might get you a fat lip or a baton in the gut.   This type of policing isn't new.   :) 

17 minutes ago, Further said:

I consider my porch to be part of my house.

This, exactly.   Seems excessive force to shoot paintballs at people clearly away from public streets and on a porch which is an extension of your house.  I would say technically the police are in violation, but practically there is no winning in this either way.  

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

This, exactly.   Seems excessive force to shoot paintballs at people clearly away from public streets and on a porch which is an extension of your house.  I would say technically the police are in violation, but practically there is no winning in this either way.  

You should represent them in court.  I am convinced.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I liked the good old days where back talking a cop might get you a fat lip or a baton in the gut.   This type of policing isn't new.   :) 

Out in a public street, talking back is generally not the best tactic.  Your property is sovereign territory, though.  They have no rights to be on it unless you are breaking the law.   

exceptions would be when the cops are breaking the law, then being called out on it seems just fine to me.   The recent killing being a prime example of it.  

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Out in a public street, talking back is generally not the best tactic.  Your property is sovereign territory, though.  They have no rights to be on it unless you are breaking the law.   

exceptions would be when the cops are breaking the law, then being called out on it seems just fine to me.   The recent killing being a prime example of it.  

Not obeying a curfew is breaking the law. 

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Post 3.  and almost every post thereafter.  

Avoiding confrontation with the law has served me well.  :) 

Me too, but your post was easy to take as a general statement.  Cops don’t have unlimited asshole powers if someone gets snippy with them and they aren’t doing anything illegal.  Not a good policy to be anything other than polite to the cops, though, especially if they are being polite to you. 

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Me too, but your post was easy to take as a general statement.  Cops don’t have unlimited asshole powers if someone gets snippy with them and they aren’t doing anything illegal.  Not a good policy to be anything other than polite to the cops, though, especially if they are being polite to you. 

They’re just standing there. If the police chose to come up and cite them, or arrest them, I wouldn’t be having this issue. But instead after about 15 seconds they are shooting things at them.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

However, as looters are trying to break into an REI In Santa Monica  I saw a group of citizens literally stand between the looters & doors. One female got thrown to the street, she got up and got back in place.  Looters then moved on.

That is dumb as hell to intervene with looters if it isn’t your store that you own.   Too many ways it goes bad for you and limited or no upside. 

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

What did standing on "their rights" gain?

Just now, maddmaxx said:

What did standing on "their rights" gain?

I responded to a general statement with a general answer, not about the video.

In the video, it looked like the people on the porch thought they were complying by staying on their property, and we’re surprised by what happened.  

I don't know what type of that property that was but if the stoop and attached walkway connect to the public walkway, the law considers it "public space".  If the unit was a condominium style, the private property starts at the inside painted walls.  So again, the porch is considered public property.  

Interesting findings when you start reading the laws. 

There are several types of curfew in the US, all of which give the police different rights and remove yours.  Civil disobedience curfews are the most strict. 

47 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That is dumb as hell to intervene with looters if it isn’t your store that you own.   Too many ways it goes bad for you and limited or no upside. 

Disagree, they stood the looters down and they moved on.  All it takes is for one person to say enough.

The lady stood her ground and a bunch of people joined her. It was good to see. 

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't know what type of that property that was but if the stoop and attached walkway connect to the public walkway, the law considers it "public space".  If the unit was a condominium style, the private property starts at the inside painted walls.  So again, the porch is considered public property.  

Interesting findings when you start reading the laws. 

There are several types of curfew in the US, all of which give the police different rights and remove yours.  Civil disobedience curfews are the most strict. 

My porch is public property?

Then why do I pay taxes on it?  Why do I hold the deed for it?  It is not public property.  I can ask people to leave it.  I can fence it in.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My porch is public property?

Then why do I pay taxes on it?  Why do I hold the deed for it?  It is not public property.  I can ask people to leave it.  I can fence it in.

I don't write the laws in your country, I only stated what I found.