Aero Pros and Cons

Razors Edge

I always enjoy guys like the one in the video.  I catch and pass them, but obviously (and understandably), I am a nice carrot.  As we rolled into a straight and slightly downhill section, he chose to take advantage of a tailwind and a draft (in addition to the aero stuff), but it's always funny to see how one dimensional a TT bike truly is in the hands of regular riders. POP goes the weasel :D

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I find the concept of aero bars peculiar for the overwhelming majority of riders. 

I think this was not just aerobars, but a full Cervelo TT rig???  Hard to tell without looking on Cervelos back catalog, but those are bars usually seen more on TT bikes rather than the more tradition aero clip-ons many folks add.

I'd reckon most people I see on aero bars either don't understand how to get up and over short (or long climbs) or are satisfied being quick on flats/downhills but losing all that and more on uphills.  It's usually like an anchor being dropped as a road slopes up, and many aero folks disappear in the rearview mirror (camera).  :D

But, yeah, I find them dopey for most.  If you can't ride a "normal" bike well, usually adding in the complexity and often uncomfortable nature of being aero is an odd step to take. 

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was on a pretty mello dirt trail yesterday and this guy going the other way had aero bars on his bike?  I couldn’t tell if he put them on his gravel bike or if he had a road bike on the dirt?  

I think that some folks do find a comfortable position on a bike using some very weird-to-me positions - super upright, way over the front of the bars, stretched out, etc, so some may be that normal seated in a saddle positions are not their thing.  Many folks take a while - if ever - to find a great saddle for them, and I can see how the less regular of a rider on is, the more a "make do" set up comes into play before going the whole try a bunch of saddles song-and-dance. 

I can see their benefit in a lot of situations, but I still go by the "get experienced learning to ride a normal bike well before making things even more challenging by adding in aero bars". 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I think that some folks do find a comfortable position on a bike using some very weird-to-me positions - super upright, way over the front of the bars, stretched out, etc, so some may be that normal seated in a saddle positions are not their thing.  Many folks take a while - if ever - to find a great saddle for them, and I can see how the less regular of a rider on is, the more a "make do" set up comes into play before going the whole try a bunch of saddles song-and-dance. 

I can see their benefit in a lot of situations, but I still go by the "get experienced learning to ride a normal bike well before making things even more challenging by adding in aero bars". 

Right but aero bars on gravel seem a recipe for disaster.  I see a lot of pro elite riders put them on for Dirty Kanza & Leadville but some regular dude on a dirt road?

Whatever floats your boat I guess...

50 minutes ago, donkpow said:

This is why you work on your core. Not only can you stand prolonged periods on the bars but you are better equipped to deal out power and control your bike. 

A lot of folks seem to hate to stand out of the saddle.  Even more so on TT/aero bikes.

I'm a fan of anyone who is riding, but am often surprised at their choices.  I think folks often have to ride the bike they have and adapt things from there rather than starting fresh on the right bike for them that they can grow with. 

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

I meant to say "tolerate prolonged periods" ... Sorry for any confusion.

You a lady???? :D

But, yeah, I think, once someone is skilled on a bike, and then after they are experienced on aerobars, it can be a very welcome position - especially for longer, flat, and less crowded situations.  It really helps to be aero - from a cheating the wind perspective but also spread the load to more contact area - but it is the halfway there folks who worry me.  The ones who have found comfort on aero bars (whether truly aero or not), but who are no way near being able to quickly/safely switch gears, apply brakes, or steer.

If the only way you can ride is with the aid of some type of aero bars or forearm supports, it is also important that you be able to safely operate the bike as well.

• 2 weeks later...

There is more to a TT bike than just aero bars.  The geometry is changed so that the position of the crank is moved to the rear in relation to the saddle.  If you do not do this then the angle between the thighs and the chest narrows down and ruins your power and even your ability to breath.  moving the crank to the rear opens up that angle and produces a true TT bike.  Just putting aero bars on a regular bike.....meh.