Weed Whacking My Wheat Field

MickinMD

I got a start on returning my yard from a wheat field to a lawn today, slowed down by running out of gas and then a long line at Lowes to buy a gas can and some white tarp to hide stuff stored on my locked porch- the heavy-duty Troy Built weed whacker I got from my brother in law runs on straight gas and the only surviving can I owned had an oil-gas mix in it.

I learned I couldn't attack the grass at its bottom because the ground is so moist that it pulled the grass out by the roots and wrapped itself around the weed whacker spinning end, jamming it.  I spent some learning-curve time today pulling the grass out of the weed whacker.  I learned I had to chop-off several inches at a time and work it down to the point where I'll be able to run a lawn mower over it.

20200601_140134.jpg.706931df12bc5ad6d1d0d9181dcd4c6b.jpg

You can see how hot the fire got inside: the vinyl siding is curled at the edges

20200601_140136.jpg.1bf70a9c03d3b3e99448054335db9715.jpg

Most of the SE quarter of the lawn was ready for a lawn mower by the end of today's work:

20200601_140152.jpg.662e3700118a60f58f60cd48f5cf43b6.jpg

But there are places where Spring growth is starting to overrun the porches, basement outside stairs, etc.  Note also the heat-buckling porch ceiling.

I originally thought I could get the yard in great shape this week, but I'm going to need more time.  Another problem is using electric power tools with the electricity cut off for months.  I'll either have to use some of the portable power the repair contractor supplies as the summer goes on or, more likely, beg to run an extension cord from my next-door neighbor's electricity.

20200601_140217.jpg.20ad6088f46013061a8abc38a7cf3db0.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

That does look like more than an afternoon's work!

It is interesting, though, how many "little" things conspire to make life a LOT harder.  A trip to Lowes becomes an ordeal. Stuff not in stock or the lack electricity or finding a different tool is needed.  Easy jobs - and cutting grass is easy - become hard jobs really fast when neglected. Probably normally an hour endeavor to cut you yard, but many times that now due to the darn fire!

• Heart 1

My old John Deere 325 lawn tractor could mow that.   First pass with the 48" deck set for 4 inches.  Then mow again with the deck at 2 inches. 

Then use trimmer where needed.    You may need to rake up the cut grass.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe the insurance will cover one of these:

I have one of those. It sat in my father in law’s shop with a full tank of gas for many years after he had his heart attack. I took the carburetor apart and cleaned the jets. Put it back together and it ran for maybe a half hour. Carburetor clogged up again. I think it needs a new fuel line that keeps crudding up the carb.

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

My old John Deere 325 lawn tractor could mow that.   First pass with the 48" deck set for 4 inches.  Then mow again with the deck at 2 inches. 

Then use trimmer where needed.    You may need to rake up the cut grass.

Are you still using the JD ?

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

The gas tank and/or fuel filter may be gummed up too. 

It gets gas to the carb. I think the alcohol in the gas dissolved some of the fuel line and chunks of it keep plugging the jets. I’m tired of pissing with it. It’s like brand new except for the fugged up carb. There are a couple places I was going to use it but I don’t need to. 
Tomorrow I drop off my Toro zero turn at my son’s house. Going to let my granddaughter use it. I told my son I left the mower deck on it but if he thinks that might be too dangerous I can take it off and she can just use it as a go cart.

To be honest I would not even use a weed wacker on that crap.  I would just go old school and hit it with a sickle bar (??) I think that's what they are called?  Would probably be less time, good workout.  Then hit it with the mower. 

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Further said:

Are you still using the JD ?

Yep...   I know I should get a zero turn mower, but the JD seems like it's going to last for a long time,   I use the snow blade for my 150+ foot long driveway in the winter.  And I use the trailer (which can carry about 900 pounds) for hauling stuff around the home.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

To be honest I would not even use a weed wacker on that crap.  I would just go old school and hit it with a sickle bar (??) I think that's what they are called?  Would probably be less time, good workout.  Then hit it with the mower. 

Thanks for mentioning it.  I was just telling someone last night that an old, traditional scythe or "grass shear" might be a better bet, but it would take me a while to get into good enough shape to swing it enough times to get the project done.  Also, there is still a lot of debris in the lawn that the weed wacker won't break apart and send flying that I need to rake into a pile before I can go over it with a lawn mower.  I'll need the weed wacker along the fences and in some tight spots, too.

This double sided grass shear is only $21.13 from Walmart.com and arrives in 10 days but, if I find the weed wacker is too much trouble, I'll look for one in Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

image.png.1ee1e4f8728b0a58521502c71c1cc404.png

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Thanks for mentioning it.  I was just telling someone last night that an old, traditional scythe or "grass shear" might be a better bet, but it would take me a while to get into good enough shape to swing it enough times to get the project done.  Also, there is still a lot of debris in the lawn that the weed wacker won't break apart and send flying that I need to rake into a pile before I can go over it with a lawn mower.  I'll need the weed wacker along the fences and in some tight spots, too.

This double sided grass shear is only $21.13 from Walmart.com and arrives in 10 days but, if I find the weed wacker is too much trouble, I'll look for one in Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

They really work surprisingly well. 

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Amazon has it for a few bucks more delivered tomorrow

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=scythe+garden+tool&crid=3MSRRKZEKXQ99&sprefix=scythe+%2Caps%2C170&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7