The terrible tale of the exploding watermelon. Now with lame pictures

Airehead

Mr. Aire bought a round watermelon. Yesterday, I told him it looked delicious.

Tonight, I wiped down the counter, wiped down the watermelon, and reached for a knife. I stuck the knife into the very attractive watermelon.  I didn’t get it in but an inch when the whole thing cracked and exploded.  

Wet, sticky liquid, with an odor so noxious that I can still bring the stench to my mind just by writing this, came blasting out.  Literally shooting into the air, hitting the backsplash. Now I know why they call it a backsplash. Then it hit the window and me and ran off the counter into the dish washer. Some ran down the cupboard door. The smell.🤮🤢🤮. Did I mention how bad it smelled?  Just awful and the liquid was all over the counter too.  Keep in mind, I had only made one small puncture to this melon  

Typically a kitchen disaster brings the Airedales looking for treats to steal. Not this time, they backed away— far away. 

I got out a mop, a couple rags, and hot soapy water with non- chemical cleaner.  I spent about 30 minutes cleaning up.  Mr.Aire came in and said, what are you doing?”  I tried to explain, yet, he was doubtful. Then I showed him the cracked watermelon shell. There is about half the flesh gone and a big empty cavity.   On the outside it still looks lovely.   I made him take the bag of smelly waste to the curb. 

it was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I am wondering if it was injected with something as a prank or whether it just rotted internally and fermented. It was bad. The end. 

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 6
  • Hugs 2

51 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Mr. Aire bought a round watermelon. Yesterday, I told him it looked delicious.

Tonight, I wiped down the counter, wiped down the watermelon, and reached for a knife. I stuck the knife into the very attractive watermelon.  I didn’t get it in but an inch when the whole thing cracked and exploded.  

Wet, sticky liquid, with an odor so noxious that I can still bring the stench to my mind just by writing this, came blasting out.  Literally shooting into the air, hitting the backsplash. Now I know why they call it a backsplash. Then it hit the window and me and ran off the counter into the dish washer. Some ran down the cupboard door. The smell.🤮🤢🤮. Did I mention how bad it smelled?  Just awful and the liquid was all over the counter too.  Keep in mind, I had only made one small puncture to this melon  

Typically a kitchen disaster brings the Airedales looking for treats to steal. Not this time, they backed away— far away. 

I got out a mop, a couple rags, and hot soapy water with non- chemical cleaner.  I spent about 30 minutes cleaning up.  Mr.Aire came in and said, what are you doing?”  I tried to explain, yet, he was doubtful. Then I showed him the cracked watermelon shell. There is about half the flesh gone and a big empty cavity.   On the outside it still looks lovely.   I made him take the bag of smelly waste to the curb. 

it was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I am wondering if it was injected with something as a prank or whether it just rotted internally and fermented. It was bad. The end. 

But how did it taste?

• Haha 3
  • Envious 1

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I suspect Gallagher. 

No where near that good or tidy. 

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

I’d have him return it for a refund.

I said no because I feel for the clerk who didn’t make it rotten but would have to smell it. 

According to theprodusesavant.blogspot.com: a watermelon that rots from the inside will release gas that will eventually build up enough pressure to break the skin resulting in a natural explosion, often spraying all nearby surfaces with rotten watermelon. Your knife cut just moved the process up a few days. Mr Aire should learn how to select watermelon more carefully. #whenbadproducehappenstogoodpeople.

• Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

According to theprodusesavant.blogspot.com: a watermelon that rots from the inside will release gas that will eventually build up enough pressure to break the skin resulting in a natural explosion, often spraying all nearby surfaces with rotten watermelon. Your knife cut just moved the process up a few days. Mr Aire should learn how to select watermelon more carefully. #whenbadproducehappenstogoodpeople.

I think he did it on purpose.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Wow!  I'm guessing it was stored somewhere for a long time or maybe it was injected as you suspect.

The inside is sealed from contamination by yeasts, etc. so I wouldn't know what to think would cause the gas build up - unless it was pecked by a bird or burrowed into by a bug while growing and then healed the skin with the gas-instigator inside.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I see what you did there ;)

Unintentional funny double entendre, and apparently, I was correct.

Why Are Watermelons Exploding or Foaming? (today.com)

Keith Schneider, Ph.D, professor in the Food Science and Human Nutrition Department at the University of Florida, tells TODAY.com this isn’t the first time he’s heard of foaming or exploding watermelons.

“This is probably due to the heat. The fruit, if slightly damaged, can begin fermenting. If enough fermentation occurs, which produces gas, enough internal pressure may build up for the watermelon to crack or pop,” Schneider says.

He explains that “excessive summer heat” can wreak havoc on the quality of some produce, calling it an “unexpected consequence of climate change.”

• Sad 1