What are you capable of?

Dirtyhip

I'm a fair piano player, a good, "club level." tournament-level chess player, a very good teacher and curriculum developer, and a DAMN good chemist with publications in research journals and patent disclosures (owned by Dow Chemical) to prove it.  I announced to parents and teachers I wanted to be a chemist when I was 12, despite how unlikely that was for a kid from a very poor family. 16 years later I was Chief Chemist of Process Development for a subsidiary of Dow.  Later I was Lead AP and Gifted & Talented Teacher for Chemistry and Physics at Maryland's largest high school.

I think I know how to process gold ore at a much cheaper cost than now. It involves what are called flotation reagents and highly polar organic molecules whose negative areas would have a 3-dimensional shape into which positive gold ions in the ores would fit.  It would reopen mines that have closed in places like the Black Hills of South Dakota.  But it would take around 10 years and $10 million in research without a guarantee of success.  It would also mean I'd have to work 60-100 hours a week for a decade.  Shit on that.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

I'm a fair piano player, a good, "club level." tournament-level chess player, a very good teacher and curriculum developer, and a DAMN good chemist with publications in research journals and patent disclosures (owned by Dow Chemical) to prove it.  I announced to parents and teachers I wanted to be a chemist when I was 12, despite how unlikely that was for a kid from a very poor family. 16 years later I was Chief Chemist of Process Development for a subsidiary of Dow.  Later I was Lead AP and Gifted & Talented Teacher for Chemistry and Physics at Maryland's largest high school.

I think I know how to process gold ore at a much cheaper cost than now. It involves what are called flotation reagents and highly polar organic molecules whose negative areas would have a 3-dimensional shape into which positive gold ions in the ores would fit.  It would reopen mines that have closed in places like the Black Hills of South Dakota.  But it would take around 10 years and $10 million in research without a guarantee of success.  It would also mean I'd have to work 60-100 hours a week for a decade.  Shit on that.

* disappointed *  Mick that was only 199 words.  You can do better...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Save lives. I’ve donated over 10 gallons of blood. Each pint, separated into its components, can save three lives. 80 pints equals 240 lives. Bonus is I am CMV negative which makes my blood safe for infants. Highlight was meeting a woman who received one of my donations and lived to tell the tale. 

For the win