Quote of the Day: Napoleon Bonaparte

Inspiration Bot

14 hours ago, Inspiration Bot said:

"If you want a thing done well, do it yourself."

View the full article

"If you want something done, do it yourself" is a quote variously attributed to emperor Napoléon Bonaparte, dramatist Charles-Guillaume Étienne, and dictator Zorg in the movie The Fifth Element. I've said it myself more than once, as a cry of despair. But doing everything yourself is not scalable, as both Napoléon and Zorg have noticed to their dismay. So the next best alternative is to learn how to delegate better and empower the people.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jurgenappelo/2015/11/27/if-you-want-something-done-delegate-it-yourself/#3baa39d041ba

Bot brain may or may not be right.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Napoleon also said:

ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

Just something else from the internet.  "Napoleon did not say, “Able was I ere I saw Elba.” This palindrome appeared years after his death"

I thought he was French but this doesn't sound French.  Maybe he wasn't French.  I don't know.  I think I slept through that chapter in European History.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Just something else from the internet.  "Napoleon did not say, “Able was I ere I saw Elba.” This palindrome appeared years after his death"

I thought he was French but this doesn't sound French.  Maybe he wasn't French.  I don't know.  I think I slept through that chapter in European History.

Nappy was a friend of mine. He was Corsican.

• Heart 1

On 6/2/2020 at 3:04 PM, jsharr said:

"If you want something done, do it yourself" is a quote variously attributed to emperor Napoléon Bonaparte, dramatist Charles-Guillaume Étienne, and dictator Zorg in the movie The Fifth Element. I've said it myself more than once, as a cry of despair. But doing everything yourself is not scalable, as both Napoléon and Zorg have noticed to their dismay. So the next best alternative is to learn how to delegate better and empower the people.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jurgenappelo/2015/11/27/if-you-want-something-done-delegate-it-yourself/#3baa39d041ba

Bot brain may or may not be right.

Great point!  One of the key things that the Jaycees leadership training stresses is: Keep the Monkey Off Your Back.

When delegating things to do, if someone screws up the tendency is to do it yourself so it's done right, but that puts the monkey on your back and that limits how much you can do by extension.  So if someone is screwing up you either find a way to get him to do it right or you find someone else to do it.