Will NYC ever reopen again?

26 minutes ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

With Covid and the riots, will NYC ever open up again?  Will most businesses leave?

RG, you can move in with us if you need too.  I'm serious.  We might still get rioted on but you can sleep with Ylva.

Mudkipz

I will be staying on the Jersey side when we start going back.  Better class of people. :) 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

Will NYC ever open up again?  Will most businesses leave?

Yeah, it'll open again.  It will suck, though, all the independent business will be gone and crowded out by the chains with deep pockets.  Nature hates a vacuum, though, and pubs and restaurants and such will open up and NYers with a healthy disgust for chains will flock to the new.  So yes, there will be some life, but it will be less than before.  Hell, even before pandemia, most independent places were having trouble keeping doors open.

31 minutes ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

With Covid and the riots, will NYC ever open up again?  Will most businesses leave?

RG, you can move in with us if you need too.  I'm serious.  We might still get rioted on but you can sleep with Ylva.

Mudkipz

As large cities go, NYC is tough to beat in the US and rivals most large cities of the world.  So, for "city" people, NYC will still be at the top of their list.  Hard to estimate the real estate market - will it soften enough for some young folks to get a toehold or is it going to remain at a premium? If I was a business with corporate employees in NYC, I  would definitely consider WFH or remote options, but that should be true for all businesses that can function with remote employees.  Why pay rent - at any price - more that the minimum required to get the work done well?

Things WILL be different.  With the ready availability of high speed internet, it hasn't made sense for companies to pay rent on large office buildings for a while.  They were just reluctant to try.  I believe quite a few have realized the benefit, and WFH will drastically increase.  And a lot of society will change because of it.  Eventually, the net result will be beneficial.

Philly had WAY too many excellent restaurants.  They were beginning a much needed thinning.  This all simply accellerated the inevitable.  It also made the lack of grocery stores a very obvious problem.

1 hour ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

Mudkipz

NYC is too big a hub to be closed for long.

Of course, on the serious side, the president of a restaurant industry group said 25% of Maryland's Restaurants would never reopen.  When asked if that meant dozens, he replied, "There were 1200 before the pandemic, 300 won't reopen."

I wonder how that kind of thing will play-out in the Big Apple?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Of course, on the serious side, the president of a restaurant industry group said 25% of Maryland's Restaurants would never reopen.  When asked if that meant dozens, he replied, "There were 1200 before the pandemic, 300 won't reopen."

1200 to start, 300 close, eventually 300 more open in their place, and then eventually there are more than 1200.

I see that happening relatively quickly, BUT it is RG's comment about small/private restaurants vs large/chain restaurants filling the empty spaces. 

Eventually, folks will vote with their dollars, but that will not be immediate so the big chains will have the early advantage before quality and taste prevail.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I would say well more than half will never reopen.  The margins were too thin and rents too  high, lots of restaurants on the fence were going to walk away anyway, or anyone with a couple of years or less on a current lease will be gone.  Lots of mortality in all this.  The service economy workers will move away when there is no work, and that means fewer folks to support service businesses, lots of changes.

The large corporation I used to work for has closed 6 of its largest satellite offices and the employees will WFH. The building here is the only satellite building they own. I'm curious what this means down the road, both for the future of the building and for employment in this city. Depending on the job position. Training would take 1-6 months to be qualified to work on the floor. Will they opt to train new people out here? Or will attrition eventually wipe the company's presence from the city?

So far, the mom and pop food places here have fared well. I can't think of one that isn't reopening if they closed. They started a FB group to highlight the local restaurants to help out during the pandemic. If anything, it has helped promote awareness of places many would never have tried otherwise. Some small businesses may actually come out of this stronger.