I have banana questions

jsharr

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Did I miss a bandana thread???

NO SCORE FOR YOU!

The Parody Meter was looking for the OP as well, sure that this was another in a long line of lousy @jsharr parodies.  Not finding one, the Parody Meter concluded that this was just another lousy post in another long line of lousy jsharr posts.

• Heart 1

Just now, Kzoo said:

The Parody Meter was looking for the OP as well, sure that this was another in a long line of lousy @jsharr parodies.  Not finding one, the Parody Meter concluded that this was just another lousy post in another long line of lousy jsharr posts.

For once, the meter is right.

• Haha 2
  • Envious 1

So they have been selling bananas forever everywhere. So how did they do it before we had the transportation and refrigeration that we have today? How many days from the banana tree to your LGS? You buy them and they only keep a couple days, you put them in the fridge and the skin turns black?

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

So they have been selling bananas forever everywhere. So how did they do it before we had the transportation and refrigeration that we have today? How many days from the banana tree to your LGS? You buy them and they only keep a couple days, you put them in the fridge and the skin turns black?

They harvest them very green and ship them immediately. Then truck them. As you probably know, refrigeration is bad for bananas.

ap050706015018_wide-1a08116e50cda9a1db7f

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

They must pick them real green.  Aldi usually sells bananas for cheap that are barely ripe.  They keep a lot longer in the fridge than those from my local supermarkets.

Peaches in American Supermarkets are often hard as a rock because they're picked green so the skins look perfect with no bruises, etc. from shipping.  When I toured France, fruit in supermarkets had spots and bruises because they were picked ripe and they tasted so much better.  In America, the inside of the fruit is often not ripe, but they pass a gas over it (it used to be O3, ozone, maybe still is) to make the peach skins turn yellow, tomato skins turn red, etc.

Ah!  Here it is!  Bananas are picked green, shipped to "ripening" centers in the USA, then on to stores.

I found this on a "fruitless" search for the degree of ripeness stickers (green, yellow, etc.) that appeared on Chiquita Bananas about a decade ago: they were just a collectable set of stickers and had nothing to do with the degree of ripeness of the bunch the sticker was on!  But I picked ones in the big supermarkets labeled "green" (I'm slightly red-green color blind) thinking they were less ripe so they'd keep in the fridge until I realized it was just a collectable sticker!  After that, I just looked for less-yellow bunches.

Chiquita Banana Supply

Overview of Supply Chain

• Bananas sold in North America by Chiquita are typically grown in Central and South America. Chiquita works with plantations, independent growers, and wholesalers at more than 200 locations, primarily in Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica
  • Today, Chiquita sources less than 40% of its bananas from its own farms
  • Banana plants take ten months to grow from a sapling to a fruit bearing tree. The fruit is harvested four to five months later, while they are still green, in large bunches that can weigh up to 80 kilograms. They are then taken to a packing site where they are separated, washed, wrapped and boxed.

• They are then shipped overseas, the bananas are kept cool in refrigerated containers or bulk storage until loading on a ship for ocean transportation.

The bananas continue to be refrigerated by container or in bulk refrigerated holds during the ocean voyage.

• Once they arrive in port they are transported to warehouses/ripening facilities near the port. 
  • From there they are transported to Chiquita's or a retailers distribution center.
  • Finally they are moved to retail/grocery stores to be consumed

Chiquita Displaces Locations

• Between 1939 and 1953 Chiquita abandoned more than 12,000 hectares of unproductive and diseased land in Central America

• Chiquita disposed of 1200 ha of less productive land in Honduras in the mid-1990s.

• When disease and other conditions harmed Jamaican banana production and made it more costly, the UK turned to Central America (where it was cheaper) for its banana imports, and the Jamaican economy greatly suffered

• Half the population of the Caribbean relied on the banana industry to supply their basic needs such as food, shelter and education. Once the WTO ruled in favor of Chiquita and other TNC’s, the Caribbean economy suffered greatly.

• Large transnational banana companies, such as Chiquita that control wages, prices in the global banana trade, are threats to small farmers.

• There is huge competition over being the port of choice for Chiquita.

• In 2014, New Orleans using huge state financial incentives, was able to secure Chiquita’s business after they decided to move their operations from Gulfport, MS.

• Chiquita shipped around 164,000TEU’s a year through Gulfport, the largest carrier of Gulfport.

• This a had huge effect on the state and local economy in MS; however, Chiquita has since returned its operations to Gulfport.

11 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

They must pick them real green.  Aldi usually sells bananas for cheap that are barely ripe.  They keep a lot longer in the fridge than those from my local supermarkets.

Peaches in American Supermarkets are often hard as a rock because they're picked green so the skins look perfect with no bruises, etc. from shipping.  When I toured France, fruit in supermarkets had spots and bruises because they were picked ripe and they tasted so much better.  In America, the inside of the fruit is often not ripe, but they pass a gas over it (it used to be O3, ozone, maybe still is) to make the peach skins turn yellow, tomato skins turn red, etc.

Ah!  Here it is!  Bananas are picked green, shipped to "ripening" centers in the USA, then on to stores.

I found this on a "fruitless" search for the degree of ripeness stickers (green, yellow, etc.) that appeared on Chiquita Bananas about a decade ago: they were just a collectable set of stickers and had nothing to do with the degree of ripeness of the bunch the sticker was on!  But I picked ones in the big supermarkets labeled "green" (I'm slightly red-green color blind) thinking they were less ripe so they'd keep in the fridge until I realized it was just a collectable sticker!  After that, I just looked for less-yellow bunches.

Chiquita Banana Supply

Overview of Supply Chain

• Bananas sold in North America by Chiquita are typically grown in Central and South America. Chiquita works with plantations, independent growers, and wholesalers at more than 200 locations, primarily in Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica
  • Today, Chiquita sources less than 40% of its bananas from its own farms
  • Banana plants take ten months to grow from a sapling to a fruit bearing tree. The fruit is harvested four to five months later, while they are still green, in large bunches that can weigh up to 80 kilograms. They are then taken to a packing site where they are separated, washed, wrapped and boxed.

• They are then shipped overseas, the bananas are kept cool in refrigerated containers or bulk storage until loading on a ship for ocean transportation.

The bananas continue to be refrigerated by container or in bulk refrigerated holds during the ocean voyage.

• Once they arrive in port they are transported to warehouses/ripening facilities near the port. 
  • From there they are transported to Chiquita's or a retailers distribution center.
  • Finally they are moved to retail/grocery stores to be consumed

Chiquita Displaces Locations

• Between 1939 and 1953 Chiquita abandoned more than 12,000 hectares of unproductive and diseased land in Central America

• Chiquita disposed of 1200 ha of less productive land in Honduras in the mid-1990s.

• When disease and other conditions harmed Jamaican banana production and made it more costly, the UK turned to Central America (where it was cheaper) for its banana imports, and the Jamaican economy greatly suffered

• Half the population of the Caribbean relied on the banana industry to supply their basic needs such as food, shelter and education. Once the WTO ruled in favor of Chiquita and other TNC’s, the Caribbean economy suffered greatly.

• Large transnational banana companies, such as Chiquita that control wages, prices in the global banana trade, are threats to small farmers.

• There is huge competition over being the port of choice for Chiquita.

• In 2014, New Orleans using huge state financial incentives, was able to secure Chiquita’s business after they decided to move their operations from Gulfport, MS.

• Chiquita shipped around 164,000TEU’s a year through Gulfport, the largest carrier of Gulfport.

• This a had huge effect on the state and local economy in MS; however, Chiquita has since returned its operations to Gulfport.

And there you have it.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Dr. Mickin, I think that post broke the forum. It answered my question though, thanks.

I thought Donk answered your question.  Do you not like Donk.  Do you like to ignore Donk.  If so, I understand.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Never had mine tallied, but typically made it home in time for dinner. If I didn't make it home for dinner and after the sun went down,  then there was a possibility that I would be tallied. 

Banana seat.jpg

BEST. ANSWER. EVER.