Tubeless Sealant? Any Suggestions?

Razors Edge

When I get a chance, I will be setting up a road tubeless wheelset for the Diverge.  Either with the 38's that are on it with tubes now, or a "commuter" set-up with 700x32's or similar size to use if the office opens but the Metro doesn't.

In any case, gotta use some sort of sealant in tubeless, and I know Stans is an option, but maybe there are better ones these days?  Maybe there are better ones for "road/commute" set ups vs better ones for gravel type terrain????

Any thoughts?

Ditto with Stans, that’s what I use but I also hear good things on Orange Seal.  

I don’t know that sealant matters towards application (commute vs gravel) as much as the tire does.  FYI I have been super impressed with the Maxxis ReFuse tires. They roll well on the road and have enough grip on gravel.  They are not great in mud nor loose conditions tho.  But for a road/gravel mix I love them.

Edited by ChrisL
  • Heart 1

Another thought on this... I set up my HT tubeless and got Stans valves.  Worked perfectly not a single issue. My Giant came tubeless and the valves do stick and are are a bit finicky.  (Bleed air, get stuck easily & such) My GRX Wheels came with Shimano valves & have the same finickiness.    

The next time change sealant I’m going to replace the valves on both bikes. Might be a good idea to put some Stans valves before you run tubeless.

• Heart 2

Stan practically invented modern tubeless. Prior to his stuff, everything was homemade. I've always used his stems and sealant. They just work well. I've had multiple sets of his rims too. Flows are bomb proof. In more than a decade of riding them, I've had no issues with them. I have an old set of 355s which are super light. I think they've been trued twice in ten years. I've never used his tires.

Compatibility between wheels and rims can be an issue with tubeless set-ups. I've had no problems with Maxxis tires, but Kendas give me hell for some reason. I have a pair of WTBs that may never come off the rims. 

• Heart 2

On 6/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, Razors Edge said:

Went with the normal Stans, but it will be a while before I get to it.  Should be fun!

FYI I still haven’t gotten a bead to seat with a hand pump.  This aspect of tubeless will either be fulfilled with a satisfying pop or totally infuriating with a lack of pop...