So mayor has that much power?

shootingstar

Wow, at least it's peacefully done --repainting the  street into a big sign. And renaming the street.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/washington-emblazons-defiant-black-lives-matter-sign-near-white-house   For sure, this same thing on the same scale in the city where I live, for our mayor couldn't happen....needs to start with a motion to approve with majority approval of city council first.  

16 minutes ago, Chris... said:

DC does not have a governor. The Mayor has the same power as governor 

I don't get it.  So Washington DC is its own legal district and own set of laws?  Doesn't belong to any state?

For instance City of Toronto, is Ontario's capital city and is like any other municipality in Ontario.  Ottawa is the capital city of Canada..but it's still a municipality. 

However for Toronto, they do have a city charter which gives the city some limited powers to enact municipal laws that are different from provincial law which normally the province has jurisdiction/legal powers...which is all written in provincial legislation. I would have to look at the law. 

Calgary was trying to get its own city charter through a piece of provincial legislation which gives them the power to enact different municipal law within the boundaries of the city...ie. car speed limits...lowering the limits within the city boundaries.  

If a mayor had "White Lives Matter" on the streets, it would immediately and justifiably be called racism.

I wish he had painted "ALL Lives Matter" - including the police.  An avg 50 Blacks and 70 Whites are killed each year in custody and hopefully that improves. An average 85 police officers are killed each year in the line of duty and hopefully that improves, too.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And a street sign.

I did notice that.  Street names in our city ….meaning suggested street names go through a process.  If it's in an existing neighbourhood for renaming, there is a whole set of criteria under the "Naming Policy".  I have chatted with paid staff who have  to steer through the politics of various naming recommendations.  

That said, I wonder how long that name will stick. In a way, we need to see this as "historic"...because it really is if you look at all the things have led and within this current Presidency. The new name, if you REALLY think about ….suits being in capital of US.  And if you go forward in the future, the meaning will deepen over time.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

Oh my.....  can you imagine the outrage if this is the google maps image for eternity?spacer.png

I'm not sure why people would be furious.  

Let me turn the table on this:  Do we commemorate a street for the Chinese railway workers for both U.S. and CAnada?  Many lost lives ….building critical infrastructure....that united each country...economically on a national level for each country.

I'm sorry.....the history of CAnada and U.S. was built not just on the backs of Europeans/those in power.

The street art is part of the mural project department. The signs may be "unofficial" . Our garages are in an alley in our neighborhood. A few years ago we named it Natasha Way after a resident kook fun woman. She would walk up & down the alley helping neighbors & giving away zucchini. The DC name change may be unofficial

8 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

The street art is part of the mural project department. The signs may be "unofficial" . Our garages are in an alley in our neighborhood. A few years ago we named it Natasha Way after a resident kook fun woman. She would walk up & down the alley helping neighbors & giving away zucchini. The DC name change may be unofficial

I'd love to know if Washington DC will one day name a square/park or street after former Prez Obama.  Or would that upset people.  Anyway, maybe he has to die first...or..