A 30 day challenge for those interested

Square Wheels

8 hours ago, Further said:

I've been walking, planning to build up to running.

Consider a couch to 5k app.  That's how I started.  I laughed when the first day was repeats of something like walk 1:45, run 0:15.  Boy was I wrong.  It's really hard to start running if you've never done it.  Runner quickly forget that.

• Heart 1

Another vote for couch to 5k. It works. 
Today the start of my miles will be running a broadcast spreader between the stripes that the tractor drop spreader left. Grass looks striped. New tractor better have a broadcast spreader for the organic fertilizer. 

• Heart 1

Ran 2.

I can do more.  I am working on keeping my heartrate steady.  I run with a really high heartrate, usually just above 160.  For someone in their mid-50s, that's too high.  I am running really slow and keeping it around 150.  I will do the same route every day for the month and see if I get faster and maintain the same heartrate.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Ran 2.

I can do more.  I am working on keeping my heartrate steady.  I run with a really high heartrate, usually just above 160.  For someone in their mid-50s, that's too high.  I am running really slow and keeping it around 150.  I will do the same route every day for the month and see if I get faster and maintain the same heartrate.

That does seem high for moderate effort. Has it always been that way?

I asked my doctor how high I should let my heart rate go when I run or cycle. He said it didn’t matter. He said I’ll know when it’s too high I’ll run out of gas. I keep mine under 170 until the finish line is in sight.

With basically seven months as a couch potato I am starting over.

• Hugs 1

26 minutes ago, Airehead said:

That does seem high for moderate effort. Has it always been that way?

Yes, when I was running 9 min miles (that's fast for me) it was always about 160 165.  It drove my coach nuts when I did intervals.  He wanted me doing 6 min miles then "go slow".  I never got the heart rate drop until one run I walked for the slow and he was thrilled.

• Heart 1

My heart rate went to 189 yesterday.  I had no pain, no strange symptoms, etc.

Athletes have larger HR range.  lower lows and higher highs. 

I was having some heart pain during extreme efforts.  I got tested, twice.  Nothing but a PVC.  Those are relatively normal.  My strange pain turned out to be heartburn related.  I was drinking a citrus sports drink and I think it was making me have the heart pain.  Heartburn can be wicked.  It's in control now and I fuel myself wisely.  

Well...I am starting today..forecast ain't pretty for the rest of the week..I will go for "a loop" walk at home...my two loop options are about 2 miles each...I guess my bailout will be around the block at work...during lunch.  I hope I will ride as well.. I can also do a weight workout at home or the bike trainer.

• Heart 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:03 AM, Square Wheels said:

I'd like to challenge you to do some physical activity for 30 days in a row.  It doesn't need to be hard, or the same thing like a ride every day.  Let's say you decide to do 50 pushups a day and on day 5 your pecs are killing you.  Tough, do 50 on your knees.

A great idea! But honestly, doing a single type of activity - like a run or ride - is really probably not what most people need (or want) to do.  I'd offer, "Just do SOMETHING active" every day - walk one day, ride another, maybe some weights, then a hike, or a swim.

But, the 30 day challenge at least gets folks thinking about keeping momentum.  I hope everyone gets in the game :D

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A great idea! But honestly, doing a single type of activity - like a run or ride - is really probably not what most people need (or want) to do.  I'd offer, "Just do SOMETHING active" every day - walk one day, ride another, maybe some weights, then a hike, or a swim.

But, the 30 day challenge at least gets folks thinking about keeping momentum.  I hope everyone gets in the game :D

Agreed.  The idea of biking everyday, no matter what, seems draconian.  I may want or need a rest day to do yoga or something else.  I'm going to do what I normally do and stay active each day.  Unless, I get sick.  In that regard it is not wise to force myself to go exercise, if I am feeling ill.  If I become ill, I rest.  That has worked to keep me healthy since 2004.  Living with MS is a little tricky.

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd offer, "Just do SOMETHING active" every day - walk one day, ride another, maybe some weights, then a hike, or a swim.

Agreed.  I think people get that.

I need to get motivated, sometimes I can motivate myself, sometimes others motivate me, sometimes I help motivate others.

Day 2.  I hr. of yard work: weed wacking a wheatfield and clearing the huge mess growing onto the porch railing.  The front yard is ready to be mowed except for some broken glass (from windows all broken out by firemen) left in one small spot.  Fence growth plus stuff I no longer want will go after lawn and house outside are taken care of this week.  The hundreds of  shards of glass in the side and back lawn from the broken windows is going to take a lot of time to clean out.

1895261584_20200607_125903900p_clar.jpg.8f723368d0cbe4ea80dc84ab274cb38d.jpg

Almost all growth on right side of porch now cut, ripped, pulled out:

20200601_140217.jpg.c9babc5150b5f29fbb0ebc388aea0e8a.jpg

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Day 2.  I hr. of yard work: weed wacking a wheatfield and clearing the huge mess growing onto the porch railing.  The front yard is ready to be mowed except for some broken glass (from windows all broken out by firemen) left in one small spot.  Fence growth plus stuff I no longer want will go after lawn and house outside are taken care of this week.  The hundreds of  shards of glass in the side and back lawn from the broken windows is going to take a lot of time to clean out.

1895261584_20200607_125903900p_clar.jpg.8f723368d0cbe4ea80dc84ab274cb38d.jpg

Almost all growth on right side of porch now cut, ripped, pulled out:

20200601_140217.jpg.c9babc5150b5f29fbb0ebc388aea0e8a.jpg

Shouldn’t the insurance be taking care of that?

So where are we tracking the miles ?

For the record, today I walked 3 miles, joggled about 1/2 a mile of it. Today I felt the best I've felt since last fall, no idea why, but it was like a huge weight fell off me, or a turbo kicked in on my lungs. Set out to just walk round the lake, found myself climbing the hills into the woods path, and itching to run, so I ran a bit.

Got kinda cocky when getting close to done and tripped over a tree root, went rolling ass over elbow down the trail. Damn dirt is hard.

So, is alabaster a skin tone ?

IMG_4437.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

5 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

a great challenge, SW, but, I do like my 1 rest day a week. That, and, there is an opportunity to ride a California Triple Crown double century this month, which means 2 travel days.

I think you’ll have enough miles to cover the 30 days. :D

No Excuses!

Not whining about the bladder again, but ooof.  Last night fell asleep around 9:30.  Woke by 10.  Didn't fall asleep again until around 1.  During that time peed at least 5 or 6 times, probably woke another 5 or 6 times in the 4 hours of "sleep" I got. 

I planned to run before work, since traffic is still good. That didn't happen.

Had a hard bladder day, peed at least 20 times while at work.

Beyond exhausted.

Ran my 2 miles.

• Hugs 3

Rode to work for mail delivery - 5 miles

Rode about 12 for a MTB ride.  1000 ft of climbing.  Fun ride with a gal friend

Rode to my directors house -1 mile   This was a great thing.  He gave me 4 bags of lettuce from his garden, and a baggie of dried morels that he picked in the woods.  That was a real treat.  We also made plans to split a bottle of orange wine in July.  I love my director.  He is a friend and my job is to make his work life easier.  We get along very well.  

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Rode to work for mail delivery - 5 miles

Rode about 12 for a MTB ride.  1000 ft of climbing.  Fun ride with a gal friend

Rode to my directors house -1 mile   This was a great thing.  He gave me 4 bags of lettuce from his garden, and a baggie of dried morels that he picked in the woods.  That was a real treat.  We also made plans to split a bottle of orange wine in July.  I love my director.  He is a friend and my job is to make his work life easier.  We get along very well.  

So now you have morels. Yay!

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

Did about 2 miles maybe a bit more. Actually ran a little bit, but this being 3 days in a row, with no base to build off I was feeling it toward the end. Tried to run up the couple hundred yard ramp to the parking lot, it could be charitably described as a high speed hobble. But more running and pretty strong performance on the slopes at the start.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of trying a bicycle, depending on my back.