I don't do (much) social media

Square Wheels

I have a twitter and instagram account, but my feeds are filled with national parks, animal rescue stories, a few athletes , some comedy sites, local weather sites and my college.  Pretty much the only thing I post is some positive feedback on other posts.  I read the news  during the day, but at night I want something uplifting that won't interfere with my sleep.

• Heart 2

I only have FB & Strava. Thought aboot quitting FB, but the one thing that keeps me there is some of my bike peeps. It's a great way to say "hey I'm riding..."  Like tomorrow. Someone posted a ride and tagged a couple dozen peeps :) It has a lot of good, but also bad :( I just recently took time to unfollow a lot of people because they can't STFU aboot shit :angry: Deleted a few too. My feed now is mainly bike related pages & posts. Along w/ beer & coffee. I censor. 

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I only have FB & Strava. Thought aboot quitting FB, but the one thing that keeps me there is some of my bike peeps. It's a great way to say "hey I'm riding..."  Like tomorrow. Someone posted a ride and tagged a couple dozen peeps :) It has a lot of good, but also bad :( I just recently took time to unfollow a lot of people because they can't STFU aboot shit :angry: Deleted a few too. My feed now is mainly bike related pages & posts. Along w/ beer & coffee. I censor. 

Did you delete me?

Just my blog. Am I the only blogger here?

I don't even use Twitter, Instagram nor FB to promote my blog. I used to get way more traffic ie. 7 yrs. ago. I think blogs are so common place nowadays. I chose a blog where I can compose and write more than 140 characters. Instagram seems cool but I would like give some textual reference. I don't like FB because you can't expect a reader to be visually comfortable to read more text in tighter space.

• Heart 2

21 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I've never tweeted, don't have an intragram account, quit Strava.  Thinking of quitting FB.

This site will be my only connection to the outside world.

I post here, on chess.com's forums, and in the comments of various news organizations including ABC, BBC, Yahoo, Yahoo.finance. Marketplace and various fantasy football sites.

I tweet about twice a year, using it only for comments on fantasy football, etc. when another site provides a link to twitter.

I post, often just a "Like" or "Happy Birthday" on FB two or three times a month: I belong to a private FB group that's populated mostly by graduates of my no longer existing high school called "I Grew Up In Brooklyn Park, MD" and that's where most of my posts are.  In normal times we have a "Class of 68 Lunch Bunch" that meet several times a year at restaurants and catch up and otherwise we get messages to pray for a classmate who's got the flu, etc.  We also get some old pictures posted of places we teenagers flocked to but are no longer, like the soda fountain counter we often stopped at after school if we had a dime to spend. Here's its late '60's menu - without a single $ sign and where the ten cent "King Size Coke was 16 oz.  If you had another nickle, you could get a bag of chips with it:

581087997_WoolworthMenuLate60s.jpg.84c07c2123d672353d903897ca674629.jpg

27 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Sooner or later we are going to start believing you!  :D

It's actually a part of the deception. Shirley, no one in the program would openly admit to being in the program and therefore dismissed as a possible target.

• Awesome 1

We have a FB account that is almost never used.  We never post in FB.   We only created the account to message our grandson several years ago when he attended 1 semester of college in the Czech Republic, and then we would use Skype to talk to him.  

This is the only place I post anything.

• Awesome 1

I only use social media for writing related stuff. It's hard to convince my family that it's a business thing and the need to stop tagging me with every stupid thing going around on the innerwebs. 90% of what they post, repost, and forward is bullshit anyway. None of them fact-check before spreading the manure...

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 7:08 PM, BuffJim said:

I am addicted to Twitter. Also use FB, but try to keep it non political. Sometimes I have to bite my tongue pretty hard. Usually when I find myself typing a response that begins with ‘Jane, you ignorant slut...’ I walk it back before I send it. 

Somebody's an SNL fan.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I have always been twitter-curious, but have not jumped in.

I follow a lot of fringe cycling racers from the old days, some football, some this, some that.  I never thought I would, I also believed twitter to be pretty stupid previously.  It is actually not bad.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Dickbag Dickbag Dickbag said:

I follow a lot of fringe cycling racers from the old days, some football, some this, some that.  I never thought I would, I also believed twitter to be pretty stupid previously.  It is actually not bad.

The idea is pretty cool, that you can pick someone that you are interested in and hear what is on their mind continuously.  I always said the forum is like the twitter accounts of forumites. We can put our thoughts oot there for the edification of others. Especially for some of us who may be oversharers. :D

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Dickbag Dickbag Dickbag said:

It is actually not bad.

It is somewhere between not bad and the worst. You have to block a lot of people, else you risk getting dummer every time you check in.

I believe social media is the downfall of our society, with every lunatic fringe group given equal opportunity to spread their opinions, largely unfact-checked until recently. It used to be you knew and avoided the paranoid guys with the type-written, zeroxed manifestos. Now he’s just another meme generator, flooding the collective consciousness.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It is somewhere between not bad and the worst. You have to block a lot of people, else you risk getting dummer every time you check in.

I believe social media is the downfall of our society, with every lunatic fringe group given equal opportunity to spread their opinions, largely unfact-checked until recently. It used to be you knew and avoided the paranoid guys with the type-written, zeroxed manifestos. Now he’s just another meme generator, flooding the collective consciousness.

Are you sure you aren’t thinking of bookface?  I only see on twitter who I want to see things from, and it is useful and informative.  

None for me.  I have had crazy ex gfs call my parents 15 years after I have been married trying to contact me.  :blink: and I had put some pretty bad ass people away on a big file for a long time that told me they would find me when they got out, so the harder I am to find the better.

My wife has fb and I creep on hers to keep up on the kid and grandkid pictures.  My idea of twitter is texting my poor sister any strange and random thoughts when they pop into my head.  She often recommends therapy.

This is my only forum 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I have a blog. That's it..and enough.

I write blog articles for the certifying agency I train my people under, but there are several authors so I do not 'publish' on a regular basis.  I even got my first 'fan mail'(and actual mail..., a card no less!) on Thursday

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I write blog articles for the certifying agency I train my people under, but there are several authors so I do not 'publish' on a regular basis.  I even got my first 'fan mail'(and actual mail..., a card no less!) on Thursday

There are some bloggers over the years, where we visit/comment on each other's blog. I can't explain it, but some of these long time bloggers would be ok people to meet for a coffee at a shop. The other visitor bloggers include:  a Hawai'an-Chinese-Thai American teaching in Cambodia, a comic illustrator (who was a math teacher) in New England states area, a Chicago museum worker who did travel world-wide and specialized in blogging liturgical/church art, a Spanish mother married to a Chinese guy, now with child living in mainland China, a retired IT professor living in New Brunswick who used to run marathons, etc.  Most important is keeping blogging visitors friendly casual and distant.

It is incredible what one can learn from some niche blogs worldwide.

I did give my blog link for my employee profile. I think some people were abit surprised about my blog or maybe it was what I wrote/my photos. 

My family members and my closest friends do know of my blog... this is a situation where your loved ones...should know of your public Internet presence in case something goes wrong. I'm open to them about this. I am like this in real person:  I love writing, poetry, art  --stuff since I was a child, cycling, etc. Some bloggers hide their blog, from their family and they haven't even written anything terrible about their family, etc. I actually don't understand that..to me, that's like teen insecurity:  if you write/blog good stuff, why hide it from some family members?  

On 6/6/2020 at 7:39 PM, 2Far said:

No SM for me, it’s in my FWPP contract. It renews w/addenda every year. They were ahead of the curve on potential SM issues. 

part of your contract..that's good. Keeps you straight.

I believe there have been problems with occasional employee outside of their job, with present employer. There is a code of conduct that all employees are required to be aware of.