Nephew-in-law has COVID-19

MickinMD

Prayers and vibes requested for one COVID-19 case and three possible others among my brother's in-laws.

Someone working with my brother's nephew, Mitchell, tested positive for C19 so Mitchell got tested and learned he has it.  Mitchell's part of the extended family local family group I'm close to and vacation and party with.

He's 22 and either asymptomatic or just thought he had a cold. Hopefully it doesn't get worse. He lives and works on Kent Island in Queen Anne's County on Maryland's Eastern Shore where there have only been 168 total cases of COVID-19 this year.

He and his father spent a couple hours, after Mitchell was positive but didn't know it yet, at the home of Mitchell's 76 year-old grandfather Gary.  So Gary, my brother's father-in-law, got tested and, regardless of the still-waited-for result, is self-quarantining for two weeks. He has a serious heart condition and had an artificial valve replaced last fall.

I don't what Mitchell's father, Scott, is doing about it for his own sake.  Mitchell's sister, 20 year-old Grace, also still lives at their parents' house and she's probably quarantining and pissed off about it. Mitchell's mother, Ireland-born Dierdre, works for a doctor's office, but she does insurance paperwork and I think she's been working from home.

Here's the selfie Mitchell took on the plane ride home from our 2018 Caribbean Cruise.  Mitchell, closest to the camera has COVID-19 now. His grandfather Gary, next to him, is quarantining himself for two weeks, has a heart condition, and we're hoping he didn't catch it.  The next three in that row are Mitchell's sister Grace, his father Scott, and mother Diedre.  They all live in the same house with Mitchell. Hopefully they didn't catch it but we will soon know.

The row behind them is my brother's family, Adam, Lori, and Tim and me on the other side of the aisle from Tim.  Missing is my sister's family, all three members now recovered from COVID-19 though my sister's still coughing a little., They were on the cruise but drove from Maryland to Florida and back, doing a little extra vacationing on the drives.

FB_IMG_1502626146725.jpg.aeffb7119e6f0fa0ee00a8333cec9d6c.jpg

This is L-R Mitchell, Dierdre, Grace, and Scott shortly before Mitchell, Grace, and I did the Mach Tower Drop at Busch Gardens, Williamsburg in 2015.

IMG_20150810_132252.thumb.jpg.b6ac27143f2b7182ef631403d3d138a7.jpg

NewsParcs - Mach Tower Opens at Busch Gardens Williamsburg image.jpeg.2d8e827419e41355e3ac6084d53aae7c.jpeg

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Dottles said:

Mick, you really need to start taking this stuff serious.  It's hit folks all around you more than anyone on this site.  Covid is in close contact.  I'd say it's not leaving anytime soon no matter how many positive 'curve' posts you submit. Take care of yourself.

Thanks for the concern and I think you're right.  I'm rethinking the small pool party I've been invited to Saturday.  If I go, I'm going to stay in the pool with coronavirus-killing-chemicals most of the time.

I keep thinking about Tchaikovsky becoming complacent during the 1893 Cholera Epidemic in St. Petersburg, Russia.  He drank water without boiling it first and when scolded by family members, said he was tired of it all.  He died of cholera soon after.

But I still think that in August and September, maybe beginning in July, it will be much more dangerous to drive a car than to go to a party.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Thanks for the concern and I think you're right.  I'm rethinking the small pool party I've been invited to Saturday.  If I go, I'm going to stay in the pool with coronavirus-killing-chemicals most of the time.

I keep thinking about Tchaikovsky becoming complacent during the 1893 Cholera Epidemic in St. Petersburg, Russia.  He drank water without boiling it first and when scolded by family members, said he was tired of it all.  He died of cholera soon after.

But I still think that in August and September, maybe beginning in July, it will be much more dangerous to drive a car than to go to a party.

I would strongly advise a different barber, too, one that would wear a facemask.  Good to think about all this stuff, it would suck to have to give a rebuilt house to an inheritor.

Update:  When I was told about it yesterday, I wasn't told it happened a couple weeks ago.

I spoke to Gary on the phone today and learned he's self-quarantined for two weeks as of tomorrow, didn't get it, and everyone's ok.

So maybe I'll go to the pool party for his and Adam's birthdays Saturday.  But no presents until later in the summer.

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Update:  When I was told about it yesterday, I wasn't told it happened a couple weeks ago.

I spoke to Gary on the phone today and learned he's self-quarantined for two weeks as of tomorrow, didn't get it, and everyone's ok.

So maybe I'll go to the pool party for his and Adam's birthdays Saturday.  But no presents until later in the summer.

Hmmm. It was unfortunate your barber didn't mask.  YOu might want to rethink about social distance double the social distance if you are going to the party. Seriously.

15 hours ago, MickinMD said:

So maybe I'll go to the pool party for his and Adam's birthdays Saturday. 

Ok, different perspectives about the pool party/barber interplay and how this is all really tricky.

At the pool party, will there be any high risk individuals present?  Will there be people there who live with high risk folks not present or who socialize with them? 

I ask because you went to that barber who basically said "We don't need a condom, I know you and I am telling you I don't have any STD's and I will pull out when I screw you" when you got your hair cut, and your barber is fucking everyone.  This is a massive high risk individual who cut your hair, and you can be fairly certain with that behavior that the risk will be realized at some point, seeing that they are actively discouraging protections of any sort in a very trumpian manner.  Maybe not in the next month or so, but certainly looks like a lock to get and pass it on.

That said, if the barber got in early and was asymptomatic, then you could be incubating and spreading to those with underlying conditions.  Assuming you don't have covid19, you are going to a party with others who may be asymptomatic and incubating, do YOU have underlying conditions that give you a bad prognosis should you catch it?  

How many people at the party?   Do you know them all?  Are there risk takers among them?  They will certainly be touching everything, and running and shouting and coughing and such.    Outside is much safer, will you be spending time inside at all? 

So there is that to consider, and balanced against the fun of a pool party that most will consider to be harmless, unless someone gets it.  Definitely have to do the whole risk vs. reward on this one.