D-Day

Parsnip Totin Jack

WoScrapr, LilScrapr & I were on Omaha Beach 3 years ago. We were all crying looking at how far the men had to go from low tide. It was shocking. Then our guide pointed out the gun placements that were years old. Plenty of time ti sight in killing zones

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

My dad spent the war stringing communications wire. He only spoke of the things he found funny so it didn’t sound too bad. Then one summer on vacation we visited one of his army buddies in Vermont. That’s when we heard the real story. I liked the funny stories better. I don’t like to hear about death and dying.

• Awesome 1

Yeah I thought of it but didn’t think to post of it. For some reason one of my sisters feels it’s important to remind me each year too.

Interesting to hear the tales of WW II Veteran Dads.  My Dad was in the “KNIL” loosely translated to Royal Dutch Army of Indonesia.  Indonesia fell to the Japanese early in the war & he spent 3 years as a POW at Changhi Prison.  

When liberated he was so weak & frail the liberating medics triaged him and sent him to the morgue.   He realized they gave him up for dead so he crawled out of the morgue and then was taken to a hospital where he recovered.

However, shortly after the War, Indonesia declared independence from Holland so he actually ended up fighting in the war of independence.  My mom told of some scary stories as even living on the base was not safe for them as Holland didn’t have the money nor will to fight the Indonesians as Holland was still in shambles.  

My dad never received pay while he was a POW. The Dutch Govt couldn’t pay them and then after he immigrated  just refused to pay him.  My mom was able to get the back pay in the early 1990’s.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1