July 29 miles

Square Wheels

29 @ 17.4.  My new fastest speed for my ride in.

It really helps when I ride down Memorial Drive.  It's 2 lanes so the cars can get around me, but it's still scary.  I try really hard to keep up with them and that increases my overall speed for the ride.

My advice, although you didn't ask for it, is to always put safety ahead of avg speed.   :mellow:

If it's scary, then I hope you will ride in such a way that it is a lot less scary, even if it means slowing down.   :)  :nod head:

I love unsolicited advice.  All advice is good.

Safety is a balancing act in the city.  Staying on the sidewalk isn't necessarily safe either.  People will jog, decide they've gone far enough and do a 180 without even looking.  Then there are the people with dogs, and the texters, and the geese.  When I ride down Memorial Drive (a big road for the area) the sun has come up and I am very visible.  I did ask a State Trooper once if it was legal for me to ride this road and he said yes.

Safety is a balancing act in the city.  Staying on the sidewalk isn't necessarily safe either.  People will jog, decide they've gone far enough and do a 180 without even looking.  Then there are the people with dogs, and the texters, and the geese.  When I ride down Memorial Drive (a big road for the area) the sun has come up and I am very visible.  I did ask a State Trooper once if it was legal for me to ride this road and he said yes.

Riding in the city with traffic is inherently dangerous.  I know, as I have done this for years.

My point is that I hope you don't get in the habit of worrying about your speed to the point of allowing it to ever cause you to sacrifice your safety, to any degree.  I have also done this, and it is extremely stupid.   :(  :(  :(

My point is that I hope you don't get in the habit of worrying about your speed to the point of allowing it to ever cause you to sacrifice your safety, to any degree.  I have also done this, and it is extremely stupid.   :(  :(  :(

Ahh, OK, I get it now.

I don't think I do.  I find riding on the sidewalk to be mixed.  Sometimes there are lots of obstacles, sometimes there are none.

When I ride on the road, I follow the traffic rules, ride with the traffic and ride harder to keep up (and out of the way).  I don't take risks, I don't run lights, and I don't argue with the cars that beep at me because I am on their roads.

When I ride on the road, I follow the traffic rules, ride with the traffic and ride harder to keep up (and out of the way)

I experienced this on Sunday's ride - there's a busy, narrow road that runs along the river (Route 29) that I generally try to avoid, but the paved* route around it is very hilly and I didn't feel up to it at the tail end of my ride.  I went ahead and took 29 and I found that the traffic, and the desire to get off that road ASAP, seemed to help me ride faster. 

*there's also the canal towpath but I don't like riding on that with skinny tires.  still woulda been safer.