Wrenching

jsharr

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

That's awesome. I've learned years ago from my dad how to repack wheel & BB bearings using loose balls. I really enjoy doing that. Along w/ other bike wrenching skills. I like to tinker. And its a good feeling knowing I did something that worked :D

Exactly. When he gets back on that bike there will not be a nut or bolt on it that he has not touched.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You could buy that kid some shoes to work in, too.  Boots are proper for the garage.

Nice that you have him doing the work, that is something my dad never had my brother and I doing.

I am there in an advisory capacity.  I did help with the crank puller, but other than that, he stripped it himself.

He is supposed to clean it today and tonight we will repack wheel bearings and head set.  

I will ask him if he wants to lower the stem.

Will probably install brakes and derailleurs and re cable tonight as well.

We used my dial micrometer and meausred the bottom bracket shell and the bottom bracket that @Razors Edge sent Ryan should go right in.   Have to wait on BB tools to arrive.

28 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You could buy that kid some shoes to work in, too.  Boots are proper for the garage.

Nice that you have him doing the work, that is something my dad never had my brother and I doing.

He has shoes.  He refuses to wear them when at home.  He knows the term "meat hook" and I told him that meat hooks love to go into bare feet and expensive bike tires.  He did do good about throwing away all the cable ends he snipped off during the tear down.

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

We used my dial micrometer and meausred the bottom bracket shell and the bottom bracket that @Razors Edge sent Ryan should go right in.   Have to wait on BB tools to arrive.

Sweet.  Like I said, BBs are wacky wacky bits of proprietary insanity.  It's nice when a bike manufacturer uses a more "normal" specced BB and not their own twist on normal.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Sweet.  Like I said, BBs are wacky wacky bits of proprietary insanity.  It's nice when a bike manufacturer uses a more "normal" specced BB and not their own twist on normal.

Even nicer is that the BB on the Falcon seems to be the same width and OD, so there is a chance the BB out of Trek will swap right in.  Fingers crossed.

So far I have gotten to add a Park CP-22, some master link pliers, new three way allen wrenches (just for convenience) and two new BB tools to my (our) bike tool kit.

This will make the third bike Ryan has installed or helped install cables on.  I plan to let him dial in the shifting on his own with me assisting.  The last three he watched and helped.

We talked about how to wrap bars as we unwrapped the bars and we talked cable routing as we removed all the old cables and housing.  

The only tool I touched last night was the crank puller.  I should have let Ryan pull non drive side, but if something went wrong I wanted to be the one to blame.

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

3 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I am a rebel like that too. I also don't wear those silly blue gloves. 

I usually do wear a shop apron.  Chain lube leaves nasty marks and the pockets on the apron make it easy to keep my common tools with me.  5 mm allen, cable snips, spoke wrench, etc.

In the first pick you can see my black apron hanging by the step stool on the end of the wooden shelves by the door.

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I usually do wear a shop apron.  Chain lube leaves nasty marks and the pockets on the apron make it easy to keep my common tools with me.  5 mm allen, cable snips, spoke wrench, etc.

In the first pick you can see my black apron hanging by the step stool on the end of the wooden shelves by the door.

I have about four of them hanging around, but I almost never wear them.

• Heart 1