So my wife has been eating Cheerios for breakfast

Longjohn

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

She always leaves milk in the bowl and I dump it in the cat dish on the back deck. Our feral cats lap it up like it’s a real treat. This morning no cats on the deck. The milk stayed in the dish in 90° heat all day. So now I was sitting in my chair on the other end of the deck, the sun has set and it’s almost dark. I hear someone lapping up the milk. The table is in my way and I can’t see who it is. I stand up and look over at the dish.
FA2D2A9F-E465-4E7F-AA3E-7FACC0391DE2.jpeg.d371ddf5b7309c8260cb2b5fdc78c67b.jpeg

That snot my cat. It gives me the deer in the headlights look and I tell it it’s ok, the cats missed out. It went back to lapping up the milk and I sat back down.

It was getting too dark to see so I got up to go back in the house. I had to walk right past the cat dish.

Two heads are now in the dish together, Rocky Raccoon and a black and white cat I haven’t seen before. They must be friends.

It's quite amazing, the mix of critters at womaxx's feeding station on any given night.  Raccoons, skunks, possum, the smaller fox and even the occasional cat all eat at the same time.........in their own space but together.

• Heart 2

My parents would sometimes find a raccoon eating some of the food left behind by the feral cats and the cats and raccoons seemed to get along okay.  I'm glad Rocky got a nice treat this morning.

• Heart 2

If the cats like the milk, give it to them but note that adult cats get no nutrition from it.

Many adult cats are lactose intolerant and have problems after drinking milk.

Humans are among the few mammals where adults get nutrition from milk and it's almost 100% of people of Western and Northern European origin and falls off in percentage as you move away.  Apparently being able to drink reindeer and auroch (ancestor of cows) milk for nutrition during times of famine was part of the "natural selection" of who lived to breed. Humans only began drinking aurochs (cows) milk about 8,000 years ago.

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

If the cats like the milk, give it to them but note that adult cats get no nutrition from it.

Many adult cats are lactose intolerant and have problems after drinking milk.

Humans are among the few mammals where adults get nutrition from milk and it's almost 100% of people of Western and Northern European origin and falls off in percentage as you move away.  Apparently being able to drink reindeer and auroch (ancestor of cows) milk for nutrition during times of famine was part of the "natural selection" of who lived to breed. Humans only began drinking aurochs (cows) milk about 8,000 years ago.

Thanks Cliff, I didn’t know that.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I eat my cereal with cashew/oat/almond milk.

Don't worry, the coons will lick that up that too.

I've been making oat/coconut milk.  Mostly oat, but one can of coconut.  Kinda spoiling myself a little with that.  I won't do this long term.  Oat is better for the environment

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Don't worry, the coons will lick that up that too.

I've been making oat/coconut milk.  Mostly oat, but one can of coconut.  Kinda spoiling myself a little with that.  I won't do this long term.  Oat is better for the environment

I love oatmilk. The only problem is oats require more chemicals to farm than most other things.  Roundup is a key ingredient.

• Awesome 1

@ Dottles, if you are talking about the Bob's Red Mill lawsuit about glychophosphate, Bob's Red Mill was sued because their Natural Oats contained pesticides.  This was not their organic oats that they were sued over.  I don't eat many of their conventional items, because they likely contain pesticides.  

https://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20190111/NEWS06/912326107/Natural-foods-maker-Bobs-Red-Mill-Milwaukie-Oregon-settles-over-charge-of-pestic#

The oats I buy are organic from the bulk bin.  I am very confident that they are not sprayed.

• Heart 1