You gotta boil the crap out of peas and green beans, you know

Randomguy

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

Just started picking peas yesterday.  Fresh, shelled and raw, bestest way to eat them.  Green beans, they go right in an iron skillet with olive oil or butter and herbs.  Maybe not this year, my beans just don't want to grow.  Only have a couple plants.

Minted peas. :wub:

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, 12string said:

Really?  Never would have thought it.  Too bad I ripped out my mint this spring!

I do love peas in a parmesan cream sauce with gnocchi and a little prosciutto.  My wife's not a huge fan of that one.

Sorry for the Martha HoeBag Stewart link, but this one sounds nice:

https://www.marthastewart.com/1154019/minted-peas

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, 12string said:

Just started picking peas yesterday.  Fresh, shelled and raw, bestest way to eat them.  Green beans, they go right in an iron skillet with olive oil or butter and herbs.  Maybe not this year, my beans just don't want to grow.  Only have a couple plants.

Kill the wabbit.

Not a lot of boiling in my experience with green bean.  Sometimes I've bought road stand green beans, cut the stems off, and used them in a one-pot green beans, potatoes, and ham dish.  The green beans didn't need to be boiled very long.

Peas I'm personally ignorant about fresh, but I've cooked them in a fresh-frozen bag.  They don't take long.  When I make Knorr Fried Rice, nuked for 15 minutes in water, I usually through in a big handful of frozen peas and carrots or mixed veggies and they're cooked just right.

So Random guy accidentally spills his peas and beans that he was planning on having for dinner and they fell in the toilet. RG is on a tight budget so he didn’t want to throw them away. He figured they would be fine if he just boiled the crap out of them. Now I get it. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

They are better canned, then they don't have to have the crap boiled out of them.

My mother’s “canned” green beans are awesome!  Totally different from fresh ones, soft but not mushy, actually sort of all dente.  Both are good, but her canned ones are much more interesting. Of course I grew up with them so I might be biased. My grandmother made them the same way.