Do I seem insensitive?

Dirtyhip

You are not mean nor are you insensitive. You just ride better than they do. As far as the other gals sucking......

Ooopppssss. I was about to be offensive and insensative.

How come I didn't get the little red dot things under the word "insensative"? I've spelled it differently twice...and niether showed as mispelled.

Where's are spell check?

People with a highly competitive spirit often say 'I'm only competing with myself."  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So for what it's worth here are some simple tests to see if it's really true...

On the next group ride shift to the lowest gear that will let you hang on to the back of the pack - by your fingernails.  If you start to creep up out of last place, shift down.  Only shift up if you get shelled off the back.

On a climb, shift up to make it so difficult everybody passes you before the crest.  Only shift down to keep from falling over.

On the next ride, do something to help somebody other than yourself set a PR or QOM.

The first will teach your legs to spin.  The second develops power. The third makes the rides more fun for everybody including yourself.  All three can help develop perspective.

From personal experience, when you feel you're riding well it's a hard lesson to learn - and an easy one to forget -  that there is always somebody out there who is easily much faster than you.  At least as fast as you are compared to your riding buddies.

So if you're not getting a good workout riding with your 'slower' friends, then find unobtrusive ways to make your ride more challenging.  Tend to set your PR's and QOM's on your solo rides.  Or (again from personal experience) you may find yourself riding alone all the time.

People with a highly competitive spirit often say 'I'm only competing with myself."  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So for what it's worth here are some simple tests to see if it's really true...

On the next group ride shift to the lowest gear that will let you hang on to the back of the pack - by your fingernails.  If you start to creep up out of last place, shift down.  Only shift up if you get shelled off the back.

On a climb, shift up to make it so difficult everybody passes you before the crest.  Only shift down to keep from falling over.

On the next ride, do something to help somebody other than yourself set a PR or QOM.

The first will teach your legs to spin.  The second develops power. The third makes the rides more fun for everybody including yourself.  All three can help develop perspective.

From personal experience, when you feel you're riding well it's a hard lesson to learn - and an easy one to forget -  that there is always somebody out there who is easily much faster than you.  At least as fast as you are compared to your riding buddies.

So if you're not getting a good workout riding with your 'slower' friends, then find unobtrusive ways to make your ride more challenging.  Tend to set your PR's and QOM's on your solo rides.  Or (again from personal experience) you may find yourself riding alone all the time.

Thad, you are wise.  

This morning, I rode behind my gal pal.  I could pass her, but I rode slower and let her get firsts on the trail.  Going slower than my normal pace was tricky is several ways 1) I could really see what was coming up with her in front 2) I had to ride slower through the rock gardens and it took more finesse. 

In regards to gearing, gosh, I shift so much for mountain biking.  I will try to push a much harder ring when following.