sigh

Chopped Liver

if they can't use Access, what would make you think they even know what a join is?

I'm trying to explain to him how data is pulled and what the implications are due to the way a system was built.  The mighty mental giants who built the system were smart enough to store historical employee structures one of the tables, but they didn't date them.  The queries will pull anyone who ever worked under a particular VP, rather than just those who worked during a given timeframe.  I don't have rights to go change the tables or the queries in that system.  Dumbass can't understand what that means.

I'm trying to explain to him how data is pulled and what the implications are due to the way a system was built.

I remember at Pitt trying to explain that to some sociologists

They didn't understand that you can't really aggregate open ended anecdotal evidence

I'm trying to explain to him how data is pulled and what the implications are due to the way a system was built.  The mighty mental giants who built the system were smart enough to store historical employee structures one of the tables, but they didn't date them.  The queries will pull anyone who ever worked under a particular VP, rather than just those who worked during a given timeframe.  I don't have rights to go change the tables or the queries in that system.  Dumbass can't understand what that means.

Now you're doing your job.  Train that kid up!  Remember his success in learning this crap reflects directly upon you.

but if he does an inner join to a set of the current employees, then he's got what he's after then , doesn't he?

Government??  The government doesn't have no stinking historical data.  It was on her hard drive when it crashed.

hmm...hard drives seem to be crashing in a number of agencies under the executive branch

but I'm sure that's just a combination of bad luck and budget shortfalls from sequestration :rolleyes:

• Heart 1