People are scum

Square Wheels

A couple of weeks ago my wife received a letter letting her know she is receiving unemployment payments.  It looked suspicious, so she looked up the number for the Department of Revenue, it was the same as the one on the letter.  She called, yup, someone filed using her name.

Saturday, I got a letter saying my child support payments (which I am making) would now come from my unemployment check.  Again, looked up the number directly, it's real.  Same thing, someone filed a claim with my info.  I talked to two people in the Department of Revenue, I was amazed at how helpful they were.  Not like Parks and Recreation at all.  They also had me file a police report.

People who take advantage of horrific situations like COVID, or prey on the elderly, sick, or disadvantaged in any way, are scum.  Sorry for such strong language, but these individuals have disappointed me.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 6

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

People who take advantage of horrific situations like COVID, or prey on the elderly, sick, or disadvantaged in any way, are scum.  Sorry for such strong language, but these individuals have disappointed me.

While I agree, I find folks are often unwilling to "scale up" their disdain.  We allow the uber rich, uber connected, and the mega-businesses of the world to do FAR MORE - several exponential degrees worse - damage than your group of organized scum.  We often actually codify so it's "legit", and that's even scarier.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

While I agree, I find folks are often unwilling to "scale up" their disdain.  We allow the uber rich, uber connected, and the mega-businesses of the world to do FAR MORE - several exponential degrees worse - damage than your group of organized scum.  We often actually codify so it's "legit", and that's even scarier.

Wasn't trying to make that point, and yes, you may be correct.

There are millions of people out there who truly need this assistance now.  They need to be looked after.  I do not need it, and will not file a claim.  If I did, I'd like to think I would be taken care of.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Wasn't trying to make that point, and yes, you may be correct.

There are millions of people out there who truly need this assistance now.  They need to be looked after.  I do not need it, and will not file a claim.  If I did, I'd like to think I would be taken care of.

I definitely agree on the scuzziness of this group stealing identities and basically being scum. 

I do wonder how both you and your wife's employers didn't notice that you two are not unemployed and push back.  Isn't the former employer contacted?  Maybe not, and maybe not for the extra $600 piece or the special rules in place right now??? 

31 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Saturday, I got a letter saying my child support payments (which I am making) would now come from my unemployment check.

And this is a problem because...      :) 

Here in the Great State of Michigan they held up over 300,000 UI applicants payments for fraud investigation.  Of those they released about 140,000 for actual payment.  The bad news is, those 140,000 had to wait for up to 3 months to get their first check.  The state has been hiring and training more staff to work on the continued fraudulent investigations.

• Sad 1

I'm so sorry to hear this but I'm glad the procedures were able to help catch this.  As Kzoo pointed out, it's especially bad because people who are really in need will have their claims delayed as limited resources are held up investigating fraudulent fiings.

Just now, Kirby said:

As Kzoo pointed out, it's especially bad because people who are really in need will have their claims delayed as limited resources are held up investigating fraudulent fiings.

I suspect my credit will be fine.  I haven't lost a nickel, and the ex is getting her money.

It's the people who really need it and are getting screwed that bothers me.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

A couple of weeks ago my wife received a letter letting her know she is receiving unemployment payments.  It looked suspicious, so she looked up the number for the Department of Revenue, it was the same as the one on the letter.  She called, yup, someone filed using her name.

Saturday, I got a letter saying my child support payments (which I am making) would now come from my unemployment check.  Again, looked up the number directly, it's real.  Same thing, someone filed a claim with my info.  I talked to two people in the Department of Revenue, I was amazed at how helpful they were.  Not like Parks and Recreation at all.  They also had me file a police report.

I'd have used stronger language.  Now you may have to do a bunch of id theft things.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

they are worse than scum.  Sorry Wheels.

Yeah you let 'em off lightly.  They are fucking pieces of shit and the dregs of society.

Most people are honest, but rapid communications and the lack of privacy yet the ability of people to shield their internet location, etc. today allow bad people to cause lots of problems.

It's supposedly common for people to steal people's Facebook ID's, give their friends "friend requests" - hoping they won't realize they're already friends, and then screw them over, taking advantage of the trust the potential victim has in the real friend.

Someone copied my cousin Linda's name, Facebook photo, and set up a dummy Facebook page.

I got a Facebook message scam attempt from the person that began with this , which I screen-captured:

722183757_Capture1namelimited.JPG.ebbf986603d6cc863d4966faf399737a.JPG

I didn't think it was the real Linda, whose brother had died recently, so I asked how he was:

1302920815_Capture2namelimited.JPG.c890a4efa1e5d145ff8dc963667ae3e4.JPG

Gotcha!