Let's talk about saddles

Parr8hed

Now I don't claim to be an expert, but I can talk at least somewhat intelligently (subjective) on saddles for road bikes.  Saddles for tri bikes, and differences between them.  I know why type and brand saddles I prefer and have them on my bikes.  I am generally fairly happy in my saddle situation up until now.

We just got a tandem.  It is an upright, cruiser style tandem.  Think beach cruiser with gears.  Triple front and 6 speed rear. 

The saddles blow.  Seriously blow.  I did 2 miles on it with G man this afternoon and still have an uncomfortable taint. 

So I need to pick up 2 saddles and grips and I have no idea what to look for.  What the hell type saddles do you put on an upright position bike to ride comfortably? 

Take one of the saddles off of your other bikes and put it on the tandem.  If it's comfortable, buy one another one of those.  I wouldn't suggest starting with the tri bike saddle, but you probably have a few others you can try out for 'free' since you already own them.  If none of them work then you can start spinning the saddle roulette wheel.

For what it's worth, our tandem came with these outrageously silicon-gel-and-foam padded seats.  You would have thought they were designed by Dolly Parton, for goodness sake!  Complete with the coil springs underneath for 'underwire support'. The saddle type didn't bother me or any of my daughters, but Mrs. TK couldn't abide it.  So I went to Walmart and got a $16 Schwinn saddle, and put it on the bike for her to try.  Problem solved.

• Heart 2

There is a Brooks saddle made for upright riding positions. I can't remember what model it is, but if you ask an old duffer, I'm sure they'll know which one to get.

I forgot about a Brooks that I have down in the basement.  I bet it is just what the Dr ordered for this bike.  (it never felt right on the roadie).  I'll try it in the am.

So, did it work?

Well I went out to put a different road saddle on it (the brooks). The saddle does not mount to the seat post like a road saddle with rails.  It has a suspension mount.  Like a round clamp that clamps to the top of the post.  The post is just a straight post, no mount on top like a road post.  I tried to put a road seat post on it but they were different sized diameters.  So I need to get a different post and put a road saddle on it or I just need new suspension saddles.  Bummer, I had an old Brooks saddle that I was gonna try but it has a traditional rail mount.

Excellent. :-)

So Yay, it works great.  I was bummed.  This saddle came on a bike that I acquired.  I absolutely love the bike (Cx bike) but the saddle never worked for me.  It was too wide.  I hated to have such a nice saddle go to waste.  I think it is going to be absolutely perfect on this tandem.  Feels great.  And the cost was nothing to me!

• Heart 1