Breaking ties with the Boy Scouts

Allen

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I forget, did you email the scout national and state leadership?

There is no "state" leadership.  You have District, Council, Area, Regional and National.  

Allen is in the Southern Region, Area 5

https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/properties/region-and-area-maps/

Southern-Region-March2020.jpghttps://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/properties/region-and-area-maps/

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

Allen, have you spoken with the individual you are upset with?

I have not. 
He’s made me quite angry and I’ve never know anger to solve anything. But more so, I can’t think of anything I would say to him except, what the hell were you thinking.  And there is no good answer to that. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Allen said:

I have not. 
He’s made me quite angry and I’ve never know anger to solve anything. But more so, I can’t think of anything I would say to him except, what the hell were you thinking.  And there is no good answer to that. 

Well, I don’t know him. But simply loving Dixie doesn’t necessarily make someone a racist.

Honestly though, and this is my opinion, if someone is doing something that is bothering you, I believe you should approach them first.

ymmv

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

Well, I don’t know him. But simply loving Dixie doesn’t necessarily make someone a racist.

Honestly though, and this is my opinion, if someone is doing something that is bothering you, I believe you should approach them first.

ymmv

Zealot there have been isolated incidents of CAnadians flying the Confederate flag.... actually honest...since the Civil War is not part of our history (though Canada did have some rich folks that had slave here and there in the late 1700's), it's dumb and racist.  What is that Canadian lovin' by flying the Confederate flag or stickin' it on their car?  Sheer ignorance of fullness of  that piece of American history.

I tend to see such folks when I see such stuff.....in Canada...as bumpkins.  

People can talk about freedom of expression in public, but there is responsibility to the community at large to live well and in cooperation.  

While I agree that Allen could have first said something, but most likely the scout group leader would have become emotionally defensive there or afterwards. Meanwhile scout leader should be aware of organization's broader goals and values. 

27 minutes ago, Allen said:

That flag is racist. 
I’m a seventh generation Georgian. One can still be proud of being from the South while recognizing the meaning behind its iconography.  
I have seen those who wave it all of my life. It was carried by the klan as they marched through the streets in my hometown as a child. It was on the lapel of J.B. Stoner a church bomber whose newspaper, The Thunderbolt, was published here. He was a regular fixture in town until his arrest. William Tappan Thompson, who was instrumental in incorporating the battle emblem into the confederate flag, which he called the, white man’s flag, wrote the following about it. As a people we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause. It was disavowed by the Scouts 31 years ago. It goes on and on and on. 

Posting that “Only in America can an ethnic group have black awareness month, a black holiday, black only colleges, black only dating sites, black only bars and clubs, and turn around and call everyone else racist” does not leave much room for interpretation on his views on diversity. Sending that iconography and language to the very kids he leads is the teaching of acceptance of racism. That behavior would get you fired in the corporate world. His speech is purposefully divisive, and reckless.  

No, I have not confronted him. I don’t give a damn to hear that heritage not hate claptrap yet again. But he’s standing on a soapbox screaming at the top of his damn lungs begging for attention. And a racist Scout leader is the very kind of thing that will go viral. In today’s world that brings protests. The church where the Scout lodge Is located is on the grounds of my late mother’s church. That church was my mother’s world.  If a protest breaks out there it will forever brand the troop and that fragile congregation racist, possibly folding both. And damned if I will allow the hubris of one man bring harm to what my mother loved. 
He is welcome to spew whatever he wants, it’s his First Amendment right to do so.  But speech comes with consequence.  He wants attention, I made sure that those he is directly affecting have his attention, before it becomes widely heard in the community. It will be settled with a meeting and a conversation. There is no need for me to confront this idiot, he put himself in this spot. And now it is up to the church and troop to decide  if he is worth the liability he brings.

Sorry my post is hot. 

Lana Clapping GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I would add that in the past, and without full knowledge of what the flag represents to others not in your frame of reference, that it could have meant different things to different people.  Now that the focus is squarely on this issue, and all ignorance of other's perspectives is swept irrevocably away, those who STILL cling to the confederate flag regardless of how it makes others feel are most definitely racist or obtuse or kinda still ignorant by choice.   So, in any case, not so good people.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Allen said:

That flag is racist. 
I’m a seventh generation Georgian. One can still be proud of being from the South while recognizing the meaning behind its iconography.  
I have seen those who wave it all of my life. It was carried by the klan as they marched through the streets in my hometown as a child. It was on the lapel of J.B. Stoner a church bomber whose newspaper, The Thunderbolt, was published here. He was a regular fixture in town until his arrest. William Tappan Thompson, who was instrumental in incorporating the battle emblem into the confederate flag, which he called the, white man’s flag, wrote the following about it. As a people we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause. It was disavowed by the Scouts 31 years ago. It goes on and on and on. 

Posting that “Only in America can an ethnic group have black awareness month, a black holiday, black only colleges, black only dating sites, black only bars and clubs, and turn around and call everyone else racist” does not leave much room for interpretation on his views on diversity. Sending that iconography and language to the very kids he leads is the teaching of acceptance of racism. That behavior would get you fired in the corporate world. His speech is purposefully divisive, and reckless.  

No, I have not confronted him. I don’t give a damn to hear that heritage not hate claptrap yet again. But he’s standing on a soapbox screaming at the top of his damn  lungs begging for attention. And a racist Scout leader is the very kind of thing that will go viral. In today’s world that brings protests. The Scout lodge Is located is on the grounds of my late mother’s church. That church was my mother’s world.  If a protest breaks out there it will forever brand the troop and that fragile congregation racist, possibly folding both. And damned if I will allow the hubris of one man bring harm to what my mother loved. 
He is welcome to spew whatever he wants, it’s his First Amendment right to do so.  But speech comes with consequence.  He wants attention, I made sure that those he is directly affecting have his attention, before it becomes widely heard in the community. It will be settled with a meeting and a conversation. There is no need for me to confront this idiot, he put himself in this spot. And now it is up to the church and troop to decide  if he is worth the liability he brings.

Sorry my post is hot. 

As I said, I don’t know this guy. But I have known people all my life as well who’ve held the confederate flag as an emblem of a southern heritage they have some pride in while not espousing racist views. Have I known racist folks who wave that flag? Certainly. Have I confronted them? Yes, I have. Even to the extent of my own isolation and personal safety.

But I’m not here to argue or uphold a flag. There are those in our modern world who want to attach similar stigma to the American flag. There are those who’ve already stated that “The Star Spangled Banner” is racist.  I don’t agree with that.  If someone wants to attribute racism to any flag throughout the world, I am quite certain that one would not have to look too hard to find those in any country who hold negative racial or cultural views toward others.  Human history is ripe with it. And there is no people group on this planet whose history doesn’t include the subjugation of others as part of their heritage. 

Anyway, this is a hot topic for you. I really wasnt attempting to debate your opinion of the confederate flag. But rather I would have addressed the issue of addressing this person first before applying his personal ideals to a scouting troop.  

But you’ve made it clear that that wasn’t in your methodology.

9 hours ago, Zealot said:

ymmv

Bottom line here is that this is about use of the land you own.  You are under no obligation to let anyone use it and you have no obligation to take a political stand in order to say thank you but I have changed my mind about you using my land. 

You have taken  more steps than some to help this organization see a change is needed.  In the end, you are not a member of the Scouts.  You don't have a child in Scouts.  You have shared your grievances with both the church that endorses the group and the leadership in the organization.  They are the ones that must push change. 

I think you have gone above what you needed to do.  You could have just said no about land use without explanation.  Talking to the guy may put you or your land in harm's way.  No reason in the world that you have to have a direction confrontation with someone over an issue that needs to be solved by the organization that gave him a  position of power.

• Heart 4

20 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Bottom line here is that this is about use of the land you own.  You are under no obligation to let anyone use it and you have no obligation to take a political stand in order to say thank you but I have changed my mind about you using my land. 

You have taken  more steps than some to help this organization see a change is needed.  In the end, you are not a member of the Scouts.  You don't have a child in Scouts.  You have shared your grievances with both the church that endorses the group and the leadership in the organization.  They are the ones that must push change. 

I think you have gone above what you needed to do.  You could have just said no about land use without explanation.  Talking to the guy may put you or your land in harm's way.  No reason in the world that you have to have a direction confrontation with someone over an issue that needs to be solved by the organization that gave him a  position of power.

@Airehead, I agree with this.  Allen has no obligation to anyone - myself included.

But like everyone else here, bottom line is, I have my opinions on issues as well. And my personal opinion is that if you have volunteered your land to an organization’s use and then take that away based on one person’s behavior, my first question would be (and was) have you addressed the individual? It’s the way I operate. So I asked the question.

Allen owed me nothing by way of an answer. But I appreciate the fact that he did answer me. I respect his position, even if I’d act differently.

I had more I’d liked to have spoken about, but his response was clear and I will walk away.

Peace

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

My best wishes, Allen for your community. It's probably been a long journey over the decades and not over.

I was in Germany in the city where dearie's family lived.  I try to visit municipal museums especially for cities that have centuries old history...back  9-10 centuries. 

So I went through several rooms in the museum..where it was Nazi history.  Probably only 1/5th of the museum.  I'm sure there's more in archival storage (like any  good museum).   But it was translated in English, as  new world whatever, the euphemism for that historic time period at that time for the locals.  I didn't see the word "Nazi".  Yet the signage in the museum rooms indicated....late 1920's to 1940's. Though I'm not of that ancestral background, it gave me the creeps...the innocuous crude artwork (well what do you expect during a military dictatorship, war  with wide scale action of genocide, wiping out all religions.), the flag, memorbilia.

Dearie never stepped in the museum. When I told him what I had seen, he didn't want to hear it.  His father was conscripted into war by the Nazis...and he was killed in Czech Republic.  This is a guy who who after his birth, his mother had to get up with nurses and baby, and go into a bomb shelter.  The bombs were dropped in the city at the time.

I'm sorry....there are some symbols with a record of torture, killings, etc.  even when a person is from the "wrong" side, the only thing psychologically to get past the nightmare, to leave and put those relics .in a museum.  That's it. 

And not only that for some people.....leave that country, or part of the world behind forever. Sometimes it's just too hard to live with ghosts. That's why immigration happens sometimes.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Zealot said:

@Airehead, I agree with this.  Allen has no obligation to anyone - myself included.

But like everyone else here, bottom line is, I have my opinions on issues as well. And my personal opinion is that if you have volunteered your land to an organization’s use and then take that away based on one person’s behavior, my first question would be (and was) have you addressed the individual? It’s the way I operate. So I asked the question.

Allen owed me nothing by way of an answer. But I appreciate the fact that he did answer me. I respect his position, even if I’d act differently.

I had more I’d liked to have spoken about, but his response was clear and I will walk away.

Peace

Agreed Zealot.  I love it when we have civil discourse. We don't have to agree but this forum works when we can all share our thoughts.  I appreciate yours. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

25 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Peace

I don’t know this guy well, but I have encountered him enough times to base an opinion about his personality. It comes off as one of intolerance. Politics came up around the campfire when the Scouts were out last. For the record I don’t fully agree with any of the major three parties. They all have stances I cannot support. They all have stances that I can support. When it came out that I don’t support his choice of president he immediately became angry, called me a name, left the fire and refused to even look in my direction while he was on my land for the next day and a half. The other Scout leaders shook my hand and said thank you when they left, not this guy. 
So no, I did not confront him. I’m convinced it would be futile, volatile for daring to challenge him, and quickly dismissed. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Zealot said:

As I said, I don’t know this guy. But I have known people all my life as well who’ve held the confederate flag as an emblem of a southern heritage they have some pride in while not espousing racist views. Have I known racist folks who wave that flag? Certainly. Have I confronted them? Yes, I have. Even to the extent of my own isolation and personal safety.

But I’m not here to argue or uphold a flag. There are those in our modern world who want to attach similar stigma to the American flag. There are those who’ve already stated that “The Star Spangled Banner” is racist.  I don’t agree with that.  If someone wants to attribute racism to any flag throughout the world, I am quite certain that one would not have to look too hard to find those in any country who hold negative racial or cultural views toward others.  Human history is ripe with it. And there is no people group on this planet whose history doesn’t include the subjugation of others as part of their heritage. 

Anyway, this is a hot topic for you. I really wasnt attempting to debate your opinion of the confederate flag. But rather I would have addressed the issue of addressing this person first before applying his personal ideals to a scouting troop.  

I agree that no heritage is beyond scrutiny. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Zealot said:

When the person in question signed up to be a Scout leader, he agreed to abide by a set of rules and regulations that his posts make it appear he is not adhering too.  I fully support Allen in his methodology of letting the Scouts and the Church that sponsors and owns that Scout unit do what they agreed to do, and that is select leaders that align with their values and get rid of those who don't.

This is not about Allen and this guy.  This is about this guy leading yout in a group that is by it's very nature, designed to promote inclusiveness for all.  One reason the Scouts, and other organizations wear uniforms is to make everyone equal that wears it.   

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

19 minutes ago, Allen said:

I don’t know this guy well, but I have encountered him enough times to base an opinion about his personality. It comes off as one of intolerance. Politics came up around the campfire when the Scouts were out last. For the record I don’t fully agree with any of the major three parties. They all have stances I cannot support. They all have stances that I can support. When it came out that I don’t support his choice of president he immediately became angry, called me a name, left the fire and refused to even look in my direction while he was on my land for the next day and a half. The other Scout leaders shook my hand and said thank you when they left, not this guy. 
So no, I did not confront him. I’m convinced it would be futile, volatile for daring to challenge him, and quickly dismissed. 

And this makes sense to me. Thank you for the explanation, Allen. And honestly, knowing this, I agree with your position to not confront him. I probably would have, but that’s the obstinate nature of me.  😉 

I actually confronted someone very similar at a family gathering many years ago, who was spewing racial bias/rhetoric. He was not adept at arguing/debating his beliefs and was quickly overwhelmed by my persistent remonstration of his prejudicial viewpoints. He reacted angrily and I still didnt back down. Eventually he got up and left.  He’s not spoken to me since.

For the record, I despise racism - in all its forms.

• Heart 3

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This is not about Allen and this guy.  

It would be for me, though. If that scout leader came on my land and acted as expressed here and challenged me, I would take it personally.

i don’t disagree with Allen’s decision to let the Scouts/church handle it. But I embrace a warrior’s mindset. And will confront an opponent head on. That might not always be the smartest move, but it’s who I’ve become through my life. 

Peace

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Cool, can you post the email content?  I am curious as to how it is worded...

It was a phone call. 
They assured me that it would be addressed today. They said he was at work but today is the day he is going to have to answer some hard questions and decide if the Scouts is a place for him. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Cool, can you post the email content?  I am curious as to how it is worded...

It was a phone call. 
They assured me that it would be addressed today. They said he was at work but today is the day he is going to have to answer some hard questions and decide if the Scouts is a place for him. 

49 minutes ago, Allen said:

It was a phone call. 

I’m guessing it’s not, but that he will get much satisfaction out of proclaiming that it isn’t to his own credit. Have you been unfriended yet?

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I’m guessing it’s not, but that he will get much satisfaction out of proclaiming that it isn’t to his own credit. Have you been unfriended yet?

Nope, I can still access his account. Come 5:00 though that may be different. 
I did point out that he is friends with the kids and sending this out to them too.  If he is willing to reconcile with the Scouts I expect his account will be deactivated. 
I don’t have any issue with him staying with the Scouts so long as he is truly remorseful of his rhetoric and mindful in the future of how it affects others. But that is a big step for him to take. I don’t know if he is capable of it. 

• Awesome 1

37 minutes ago, Allen said:

Nope, I can still access his account. Come 5:00 though that may be different. 
I did point out that he is friends with the kids and sending this out to them too.  If he is willing to reconcile with the Scouts I expect his account will be deactivated. 
I don’t have any issue with him staying with the Scouts so long as he is truly remorseful of his rhetoric and mindful in the future of how it affects others. But that is a big step for him to take. I don’t know if he is capable of it. 

I would guess he would become indignant and double-down on the behavior, based on what we have learned from you regarding his habits.

45 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would guess he would become indignant and double-down on the behavior, based on what we have learned from you regarding his habits.

It’s hard to convince someone to reconsider their views. We’ll see. At the very least I expect his Facebook will go dark. 

1 hour ago, Allen said:

It’s hard to convince someone to reconsider their views. We’ll see. At the very least I expect his Facebook will go dark. 

People like him often don't change overnight.  It would be better for him to be talking face to face, not video conferencing, with a bunch of black parents with potential sons who want to join Scouts. 

Change is a  long hard process.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yep, he’s doubling down. 

TO THE BLACK RACIST LADY FROM THE NAACP LEADING THE RACIST PROTEST AT STONE MOUNTAIN PARK!

Y'ALL BETTER STOP THIS CRAP WHILE YOU CAN ! THAT IS A NATIONAL MONUMENT JUST LIKE MARTIN KING IS ! TO DO AWAY WITH ONE IS TO DO AWAY WITH BOTH !

THE ONLY WAY THAT CARVING ON STONE MOUNTAIN IS RACIST IS THAT YOU SAY SO AND THATS SUPPOSED TO MAKE IT RACIST! NOT HARDLEY! YOU INCITE RACISM WAY MORE ! THAT MOUNTAIN HASN'T SAID ONE WORD !

WHO'S WITH ME THAT THE CARVING ON STONE MOUNTAIN SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE AND PROTECTED ?

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yep, he’s doubling down. 

TO THE BLACK RACIST LADY FROM THE NAACP LEADING THE RACIST PROTEST AT STONE MOUNTAIN PARK!

Y'ALL BETTER STOP THIS CRAP WHILE YOU CAN ! THAT IS A NATIONAL MONUMENT JUST LIKE MARTIN KING IS ! TO DO AWAY WITH ONE IS TO DO AWAY WITH BOTH !

THE ONLY WAY THAT CARVING ON STONE MOUNTAIN IS RACIST IS THAT YOU SAY SO AND THATS SUPPOSED TO MAKE IT RACIST! NOT HARDLEY! YOU INCITE RACISM WAY MORE ! THAT MOUNTAIN HASN'T SAID ONE WORD !

WHO'S WITH ME THAT THE CARVING ON STONE MOUNTAIN SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE AND PROTECTED ?

8 hours ago, roadsue said:

I’m not as forthcoming, though. I’d probably pretend I forgot his name and refer to him as Dick for the remainder. 

Intellect, wit and wisdom are your weapons, RS. And I don’t know many who are as well armed.  

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Did they say he was out, or are decisions forthcoming after a pow-wow with other layers of leadership?

I didn’t ask. 
There are two guys who are kinda co-troop leaders. I don’t think they have had a sit down together yet.