Waiting On The Wheelset

Razors Edge

...but the rest of the doodads are ready to go.  In addition to the wheelset (inexpensive Shimano GRX WH-RS370), I have a set of 700x32 Contis tubeless tires at the ready.  I just have to decide if I want to go with the 700x28 all season Contis and tubes for this "commuter" wheelset, and go the tubeless set-up route with the bike's current 700x38 multi-surface Spec Pathfinder Pro, 2Bliss Ready tires & wheels, or if I go tubeless with the new wheels & the 32s and wait a little with the 38s to see how I like the whole process.  Regardless, having the new wheelset will be nice as a way for me to futz around with a new process/concept, and test out how capable I am setting up and maintaining tubeless.

IMG_8841.jpg.6f96d974494e90ea15c6a06a6522f8eb.jpg

• Heart 1

I've been using a set of even less expensive Shimano WH-05's for a couple of years and the have been trouble free. I think you will like yours.  This is the first wheelset I've used in a long time that I didn't build in a traditional manner with Shimano hubs and DT spokes on Mavic Rims.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:22 AM, Razors Edge said:

...but the rest of the doodads are ready to go.  In addition to the wheelset (inexpensive Shimano GRX WH-RS370), I have a set of 700x32 Contis tubeless tires at the ready.  I just have to decide if I want to go with the 700x28 all season Contis and tubes for this "commuter" wheelset, and go the tubeless set-up route with the bike's current 700x38 multi-surface Spec Pathfinder Pro, 2Bliss Ready tires & wheels, or if I go tubeless with the new wheels & the 32s and wait a little with the 38s to see how I like the whole process.  Regardless, having the new wheelset will be nice as a way for me to futz around with a new process/concept, and test out how capable I am setting up and maintaining tubeless.

IMG_8841.jpg.6f96d974494e90ea15c6a06a6522f8eb.jpg

I seriously hope I’m wrong but my gut tells me your gonna need more sealant as most of it will end up on your garage floor...  I do recommend getting a core remover & sealant injector.   That way you can seat the bead without sealant & then inject it through the valve stem once seated.  I buy the containers of sealant that looks like an oil can as it’s cheaper in bulk,  I have 2 tubeless bikes and it keeps.

BTW my GRX wheels have been absolutely bullet proof. Love love love them.  Did I mention I love them?

On 6/26/2020 at 5:44 PM, maddmaxx said:

I've been using a set of even less expensive Shimano WH-05's for a couple of years and the have been trouble free. I think you will like yours. 

Good to know!

On 6/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, ChrisL said:

BTW my GRX wheels have been absolutely bullet proof. Love love love them.  Did I mention I love them?

Also good to hear.

My original Roubaix - back in 2006 - came with Ultegra level Shimano wheels.  Totally bullet proof and I have NEVER done any maintenance on them. Sadly, they were not 11sp compatible, so the rear wheel sits unused in the garage as I have no 8-9-10sp bikes anymore.  I still use the front wheel with my winter tires.

I seriously hope I’m wrong but my gut tells me your gonna need more sealant as most of it will end up on your garage floor.

:D  It may happen!  This is my "experimental" phase of tubeless, and I do expect to mess things up.  I looked at the bottle & injector path, but figured I'd try the bottles first and see if they worked, but I do suspect/worry I will be making a few trips to the LBS for help and/or supplies.

• Heart 1

a core remover

Even though I have never gone down the sealant path, a core removal tool has allows been in my tool box. I still have several for shrader valves. I believe none of my presta valved tubes have a removable core.

7 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Even though I have never gone down the sealant path, a core removal tool has allows been in my tool box. I still have several for shrader valves. I believe none of my presta valved tubes have a removable core.

Most tubeless valves have a removable core so you can insert sealant without breaking the rim/tire bead.  I am not aware of any valves on tubes having a removable core.  Maybe there are but I have never tried...

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I've accidentally unscrewed a presta core before.  INSTANT flat :D

I think one of my spoke tools fits the valve core perfectly and can be used to screw them in/out.  The Stans valve is definitely "removable". 

Regardless, I will let folks know what catastrophes occur for me :)

Unless, of course, @jsharr is willing to swing by with his son and do this darn project for me????

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Most tubeless valves have a removable core so you can insert sealant without breaking the rim/tire bead.  I am not aware of any valves on tubes having a removable core.  Maybe there are but I have never tried...

I'd have to run it down but I think the valves are the same, tube and tubeless. Tubeless obviously 'requires' a removable core. 

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good to know!

Also good to hear.

My original Roubaix - back in 2006 - came with Ultegra level Shimano wheels.  Totally bullet proof and I have NEVER done any maintenance on them. Sadly, they were not 11sp compatible, so the rear wheel sits unused in the garage as I have no 8-9-10sp bikes anymore.  I still use the front wheel with my winter tires.

:D  It may happen!  This is my "experimental" phase of tubeless, and I do expect to mess things up.  I looked at the bottle & injector path, but figured I'd try the bottles first and see if they worked, but I do suspect/worry I will be making a few trips to the LBS for help and/or supplies.

I haven’t babied my rims and have taken them on some rocky trails and not even a minor wobble.  

I like how the wider rim profile allows for more of a U shaped tire profile with no bulge (with 32’s).  My Anthem has older carbon rims and they have the same inner diameter as the GRX wheels and my 2.2 are shaped like light bulbs.  I can sometimes feel the tire flexing on rocks & ruts which I never do on my gravel set up.  Maybe with much wider tires it might do that but 32-38 I think would be ideal.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I haven’t babied my rims and have taken them on some rocky trails and not even a minor wobble.  

I like how the wider rim profile allows for more of a U shaped tire profile with no bulge (with 32’s).  My Anthem has older carbon rims and they have the same inner diameter as the GRX wheels and my 2.2 are shaped like light bulbs.  I can sometimes feel the tire flexing on rocks & ruts which I never do on my gravel set up.  Maybe with much wider tires it might do that but 32-38 I think would be ideal.

Wide rim are "in" now for exactly what you are seeing with that lightbulb profile.  Aerodynamics (road tires) and handling (across all types) seem to be adversely affected by narrow rims/wide tires that folks are trying out these days.  Wider rims address those issues.

Good luck :) I've did my fat bike tubeless, not as much of a PITA as I thought. I did spill some sealant :whistle: When I add sealant, I go thru the valve core w/ an Stan's injector thingie. Works very well. Bikeman tip: make sure you blow oot the stem w/o sealant first, because there may be some dried sealant in the stem.

AS001_Injector%206__56827.1508431147.jpg

• Heart 1

The wheels arrived. :D  They come with tubeless valves!  Also, is it bad news when you hurt yourself simply unboxing the darn things???  Anyway, I'll probably not get to them until this weekend at the earliest as holiday weekends are actually busier than regular ones around my house.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The wheels arrived. :D  They come with tubeless valves!  Also, is it bad news when you hurt yourself simply unboxing the darn things???  Anyway, I'll probably not get to them until this weekend at the earliest as holiday weekends are actually busier than regular ones around my house.

Cool! Yeah chuck the valves that came with the wheels & use the stans.  Mine give me grief every time.  Not enough grief to go through the hassle of setting them back up tubeless tho.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 7:35 AM, Razors Edge said:

So did ya get them taars mounted up?!?

• 2 weeks later...