So, I've been offered a high school teaching position. Journalism/Newspaper!

MoseySusan

:blink:  According to the principal who called, I was the number three candidate for the two positions from the original interview.  So, when this position opened today, she called to offer me the job.  10th grade world literature (called multi-cultural lit. in the course handbook), journalism (elective credit open to all grade levels), and all four levels of Newspaper (combined in one, workshop class period).

I have zero experience with a school newspaper class and very little experience with desktop publishing software, except that I have messed up a few documents when I tried to use Adobe.  "I just typed that! Where did it go?"  

The benefits:  students writing for authentic purpose, audience, influence and relevance and looping with the same students from grade level to grade level.  Highly collaborative department and the previous newspaper advisor was also my National Board mentor.  She has offered to help me. These are primo teaching conditions!

The drawbacks:  school starts next week!  I'd have just a few days to draw up a course description, syllabus, and get my websites together. 

Decisions.....decisions....

• Heart 1

I like writing, so I'm a little jealous! But I found out with one semester of adjunct teaching at the local community college that teaching really isn't for me. I didn't think so, but now I know so.

But heck, if you applied and interviewed for it and got it... Run with it!!!

Good luck! (keep us posted)

I don't agree.  There is so much more to a life decision than money.

Any additional stipend I'd receive as the newspaper advisor will be sucked into driving twenty miles to and from work each day until I settle in enough to ride my bike.

running the school newspaper is a cakewalk job. the kids will love you, they will do all the work, and you just sit back and read magazines and drink a lot of scotch at lunch

that's what our journalism teacher did

I have a deep respect for anyone who can work with high school students on a student newspaper or a similar project. At that age, the students have a lot of passion and energy. The challenge comes in reigning in and focussing that energy so the finished product comes together well.

• Heart 1