so now cycling races are offensive

bikeman564™

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/06/dirty-kanza-founder-placed-on-leave-after-calling-a-police-shooting-justified/

"A petition circulated earlier this year contending that the name equated to “dirty Indian,” as Kanza is one name for the Kaw Nation and its people." 

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/06/dirty-kanza-founder-placed-on-leave-after-calling-a-police-shooting-justified/

"A petition circulated earlier this year contending that the name equated to “dirty Indian,” as Kanza is one name for the Kaw Nation and its people." 

I’m not sure why exactly he was fired (I didn’t watch the videos), other than his boss finding his Facebook post to be offensive to his company and sponsors. But it wasn’t because of the name of the race, which was reviewed and accepted.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m not sure why exactly he was fired (I didn’t watch the videos), other than his boss finding his Facebook post to be offensive to his company and sponsors. But it wasn’t because of the name of the race, which was reviewed and accepted.

Correct his firing was over comments he made in social media on another matter but there has been some chatter on the naming of Dirty Kanza being offensive to local native Indian tribes for a while.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it gets changed.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

there has been some chatter on the naming of Dirty Kanza being offensive to local native Indian tribes for a while.

I have no opinion if that is offensive to the local Indian tribe, other than it was discussed with their leaders and felt ok to continue, as-named. So I consider that a settled issue?

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I have no opinion if that is offensive to the local Indian tribe, other than it was discussed with their leaders and felt ok to continue, as-named. So I consider that a settled issue?

I have t been following closely, maybe it has I really don’t know. My comment was just based on the current state of affairs with no basis of fact.

For the sake of harmony, I suggest that all team or event names that involve minorities to which minorities object be changed to team names involving Whites since White people are honored by having teams called savage, mean, etc. names. Ancestry.com says I'm 5% Scandinavian and 23% Irish and I am happy that there are teams called the Vikings and the Fighting Irish.

A lot of people object to the NFL team allegedly from Washington, D.C. (plays in Maryland!) being called the Redskins, but for some reason they have no problem with the several Native American Reservation Schools whose team name is Redskins.

So rename those teams and events after the Huns, Spartans, Goths, Visigoths, Cossacks, etc.  We'll take them!