Security Warnings

Redfacedwalrus

To anyone who gets this in the future:

The next time you see this error, please click 'more details', or if you're on Chrome click the lock icon next to the URL and then click 'Certificate (Valid)' and show me the screenshot from there. That should help me to narrow down the problem, in the unlikely event that the cause is the same as last time.

Your screenshot should look something like this (don't know if it's possible to find this on Mobile):

image.png

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Redfacedwalrus said:

To anyone who gets this in the future:

The next time you see this error, please click 'more details', or if you're on Chrome click the lock icon next to the URL and then click 'Certificate (Valid)' and show me the screenshot from there. That should help me to narrow down the problem, in the unlikely event that the cause is the same as last time.

Your screenshot should look something like this (don't know if it's possible to find this on Mobile):

image.png

So you want me to click on it?  Sounds legit.

unnamed.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

So you want me to click on it?  Sounds legit.

unnamed.jpg

The chances of this ever actually being dangerous, no matter what any browser says, are very very small. Unless you are actively sending your credit card information or something like that while you see this warning, or if you purchase things on a site that shows this warning, there is nothing that can be stolen by a malicious third party. Except maybe the contents of your post. Which is... something we all can see. :) lol

Also, clicking the lock icon / 'Not Secure' thing next to the URL only pulls up more details about the error, it does not push through to the site. It is very safe. No traps here.

I got the message Maxx posted.  It was before we had instructions.  I just assumed SW was stealing my credit card numbers so I informed the FBI.  I'd call them back to let them know it was a false alarm but that might be a little embarrassing.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Redfacedwalrus said:

The chances of this ever actually being dangerous, no matter what any browser says, are very very small. Unless you are actively sending your credit card information or something like that while you see this warning, or if you purchase things on a site that shows this warning, there is nothing that can be stolen by a malicious third party. Except maybe the contents of your post. Which is... something we all can see. :) lol

Also, clicking the lock icon / 'Not Secure' thing next to the URL only pulls up more details about the error, it does not push through to the site. It is very safe. No traps here.

It was a joke.  I was just trying (and  not very well it appears) to be funny

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

It was a joke.  I was just trying (and  not very well it appears) to be funny

Lol, I thought it was funny. But anyone else who runs into this might not know as much about browser security warnings, so I wanted to shed some light on their relative harmlessness.

Ironically, as I was submitting this reply, I got the error. I just received the info I needed so hopefully I can track down the cause.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

Just happened again.  Here is a more complete screen shot after hitting the advanced key.  There is no lock key, but hovering over the advanced key produced something in the lower left corner of the screen.  "chrome-error/chromewebdata/# is what it appears to say for a URL.

1674853236_Screenshot2020-06-26at4_08_24PM.thumb.png.439c4d32ce32562b30db9de3db9c90bb.png

Hey guys,

Sorry, I didn't realize that the 'Show advanced' doesn't actually show the information like in my screenshot. You have to click the red 'Not Secure' up next to the URL, and then click 'Certificate' to get the pop-up box which is what I need. You can then press alt+print screen to capture just the content of that window so it looks like this:

image.png

However, I just got the error myself so these screenshots are no longer needed (I'll welcome them if you still want to post them though, just in case I might get any additional info)

@Square WheelsThis does not appear to be due to the same issue that happened last time. Looking into the possible cause now

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

I got the message again today - right after I'd drafted a post about the purpose of life.  So sad to think of all that wisdom wasted.  :(

Every time I try to post and get that message I leave the site, re-enter and go to the thread I was posting in and my post was saved, I submit it again and it goes through.