Do I want to go back?

12string

Just got an email, preliminary info, but it looks like I'm scheduled for full time back in the office starting July 13

Not sure if I'm happy or sad about that.

Getting back to some kind of normal is good, but there's a pile of restrictions to make work life miserable.  I don't think the showers will be open, so probably no biking to work.  The gym at work, and the LA Fitness are closed, so I would be coming back home at lunchtime to use the basement gym.

And the few times I've been in, the few people there weren't being real safe.

• Sad 3

We just pushed back our reopening plans due to CA’s issues flattening the curve. We also set up about 600 people to be permanently WFH so the facilities guys have been busy boxing up their offices/cubes.

Im cool with this place being quiet longer!

38 minutes ago, 12string said:

Not far, but in this heat & humidity, and my inability to take it easy, I'm usually soaked.

Which, actually, would help with the social distancing thing

That might work once. But soggy underpants all day is a huge trade off. I couldn’t do it. 

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

That might work once. But soggy underpants all day is a huge trade off. I couldn’t do it. 

ummm..I hate to bring this up.

Have you considered the commando method? It is throwing off the shackles of society's expectations. Kind of like No Pants day but stealth

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Last week I sent an e-mail asking what I had to do to retire from the real estate office. (Retire sounded better than quit) effective June 30th. I haven't heard back yet...management must have retired.

My initial plan was to "retire" when my State license expired in September, but the State has now extended it to Dec. Decided to expedite it as Juned 30th, Realtor Association and related dues totaling $600 are due, and first week of July the annual $500 Legal E&O Insurance  bill hits, neither of which have a pro-rated refund (or any refund at all) if delayed until December. The irony is, I may actually renew my State license in December which is why I wrote the email to discuss procedure.  It is only $60 for 2 years (plus $25 for online continuing ed course), but with the license, I can participate in a real estate transaction where the general public can't. If you refer a friend/relative to a Realtor, by law you get $0; however, if I do as a licensed agent, the typical referral fee is 25% of their commission at closing. Anybody want to move to Florida?? I know a bunch of Realtors. :D 

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Anybody want to move to Florida??

No, I’m good. 
My planned start date is August 5th with students returning the 12th. They will probably come back to school for instruction in smaller, rotating groups with continued practice assignments online. 

6 minutes ago, roadsue said:

No, I’m good. 
My planned start date is August 5th with students returning the 12th. They will probably come back to school for instruction in smaller, rotating groups with continued practice assignments online. 

We're planning to come back with minimal changes...  masks...  some distancing... no huge groups.  I am positive that my school will be shut down at some point during the upcoming school year.

The people in charge are hosting a principal meeting this week.  They are skirting the limit on people at a gathering by calling it a banquet.  I will be attending remotely.

37 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I will be attending remotely.

Wise choice. The district will be offering every class online and has given teachers the opportunity to apply for positions as an online instructor. PED knows there are students and teachers who either cannot or would prefer not to return to school. 

They're targeting a September return for us but they sent out a survey and a lot of the question were asking about what was needed if you were to work from home until January.

Mrs. Grumpy and I were talking about selling one of our cars.  If we're both WFH then we don't need two.

11 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Last week I sent an e-mail asking what I had to do to retire from the real estate office. (Retire sounded better than quit) effective June 30th. I haven't heard back yet...management must have retired.

My initial plan was to "retire" when my State license expired in September, but the State has now extended it to Dec. Decided to expedite it as Juned 30th, Realtor Association and related dues totaling $600 are due, and first week of July the annual $500 Legal E&O Insurance  bill hits, neither of which have a pro-rated refund (or any refund at all) if delayed until December. The irony is, I may actually renew my State license in December which is why I wrote the email to discuss procedure.  It is only $60 for 2 years (plus $25 for online continuing ed course), but with the license, I can participate in a real estate transaction where the general public can't. If you refer a friend/relative to a Realtor, by law you get $0; however, if I do as a licensed agent, the typical referral fee is 25% of their commission at closing. Anybody want to move to Florida?? I know a bunch of Realtors. :D 

Your company doesn't have a fiscal year that begins July 1st, does it?  And if so is there any advantage to retiring July 1 instead of June 30?

It's not likely, but I had to ask.  Maryland's State Teachers Pension was less than what surrounding states were paying so it was upgraded for all teachers, beginning with all public school teachers employed in the 2006-7 school, which began July 1, 2006.

I retired in 2006 and the standard date to retire was June 30, the end of the fiscal year.  I can't remember how I learned of the pension upgrading and backdating but, by retiring on July 1 instead of June 30, I increased my retirement pension by about 25%.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Your company doesn't have a fiscal year that begins July 1st, does it?  And if so is there any advantage to retiring July 1 instead of June 30?

It's not likely, but I had to ask.  Maryland's State Teachers Pension was less than what surrounding states were paying so it was upgraded for all teachers, beginning with all public school teachers employed in the 2006-7 school, which began July 1, 2006.

I retired in 2006 and the standard date to retire was June 30, the end of the fiscal year.  I can't remember how I learned of the pension upgrading and backdating but, by retiring on July 1 instead of June 30, I increased my retirement pension by about 25%.

As a Realtor, you are self employed (1099) so there is no fiscal year. Legally, a Realtor is required to work under a Broker and employees of the firm (w-2) receive benefits - group medical, vacations, retirement matching and all. By having Realtors as independent contractors the broker/firm avoids all that cost and the Realtor (Independent Contractor) has to provide it all - including pay workmans comp, SSI (individual and employer contributions), individual health insurance since don't qualify for the firms group policy, no company match contributon to a 401k (or SEP) because a self employed, you are the company (typically sole-prop or LLC) and the list goes on. Two of those costs are hitting now. The mandatory professional association (local, State and National plus other expensed but can opt out of the lobbying contribution) was due several months ago buy they extended it to June 30.  Not certain if includes the MLS fee but think that is billed at another time. Also, some firms access legal E&O insurance per closing, but Coldwell Banker follows the annual charge ($500) which technically is better because Error and Omissions complaints/litigation can occur on any property not limited to only those that sell. Those two charges alone are over $1000 which would bot be pro-rated refunded if terminated in December, however the professional association dues would transfer if switched anytime to a new broker - but not retiring. Also, it is either the MLS or Professianal Association (both billed through the MLS site) that plays hardball where can't let it lapse and continue without. They require that the Broker has 100% compliance, and it is not shutting off services such as MLS with the people that didn't pay...but shutoff for the entire office. OUCH.