The purpose of life is to live

Further

I've never known what the purpose of life is.  It's not fun, I rarely do that.  It's not about stuff, I keep buying stuff thinking it will make me happy.  It's not about happiness, I work so hard at being happy and regularly fail.  It's not about being a parent unless being a parent means financially supporting your kids with almost no other contact.  It's not about helping others, as that rarely makes me feel better, and those I help either are unaware or don't seem to care.  It's not about karma as I try to be a good person and am still waiting for something good to come back to me.

I hate the "it could always be worse" mentality.  It could be better, a lot better.

What is the purpose of life?

• Hugs 3

Sounds like you are both struggling with purpose. Tough times, I feel it too.   I just reread The Guided Life:  Finding purpose in troubled times.  Might not work for you but I am convinced that life is far more rewarding when I can be centered and purpose driven. 

• Hugs 1

48 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I've never known what the purpose of life is.  It's not fun, I rarely do that.  It's not about stuff, I keep buying stuff thinking it will make me happy.  It's not about happiness, I work so hard at being happy and regularly fail.  It's not about being a parent unless being a parent means financially supporting your kids with almost no other contact.  It's not about helping others, as that rarely makes me feel better, and those I help either are unaware or don't seem to care.  It's not about karma as I try to be a good person and am still waiting for something good to come back to me.

I hate the "it could always be worse" mentality.  It could be better, a lot better.

Square, I think being a parent is one of the hardest jobs. The thank yous at different stages for kids, are not often unless it's a parent-child relationship where there is frequent contact with some appreciation. 

It frustrates me abit that I can't even have 1 conversation with my mother, without at some point, she is lecturing or advising me. However it's abit better in terms of conversation...than ie. 30 yrs. ago., in a basic way because of language barriers due to my loss of alot of Chinese fluency.  What seems to satisfy her is for her children to live positive/productive lives.  It lessens worry for her.   I'm hoping your children are/will live positive lives for their overall health, mentally and physically.

And here I am working in another province while dearie will have a birthday next wk.  So I ordered a cake online so he could pick it up himself.  I worry that life isn't always so benign with covid hanging over our heads.  I got my vacation request around Christmas (to fly to be with him), turned down by my outgoing retiring boss...because she thought I was asking too early and wanted to leave it for next new manager.

I need to fly and be with my partner..well people argue for what.  I say...on humanitarian grounds.  There's alot of those needs floating around right now.

41 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Jesus is the only path to peace. 

• Whatever 1

Depression sucks..situational depression sucks...

You can put any kind of spin on it you want..one with a religious spin one with an atheist spin..

Live..work..find enjoyment in the simple things...  ha..from a book of the same title...eat, pray, love......

What is it that all our technology and industry can't  provide...?  Look at historic accounts..where was happiness?  

Come to peace with life..it is a struggle..have moments of happiness and joy.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2