What's the most interesting thing you've done lately?

Kirby

Since all the "stay at home" orders started in March, what's the most interesting and exciting things you've done?   Have you gone on any vacations, taken day trips to places you hadn't visited before, tried new restaurants?  I know we've had at least a few vacations and some real estate happenings,   So have you spent the last few months hanging out at home or have you done something interesting?

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

Since all the "stay at home" orders started in March, what's the most interesting and exciting things you've done?   Have you gone on any vacations, taken day trips to places you hadn't visited before, tried new restaurants?  I know we've had at least a few vacations and some real estate happenings,   So have you spent the last few months hanging out at home or have you done something interesting?

I risked my life by keeping a doctors appointment.

• Heart 3

• Seeing certain birds first which I never noticed before...woodpecker, cedar waxwing...they will be in my next blog post release in 2 wks.
  • Wrote a longish summary email letter to good friend I lost touch last 30 years. Ever tried summarizing your life/major events in past 30 years?  THis is in response to her letter of some incredible personal life events. Response includes personal photos.  Won't be emailed until her 60th birthday at end of this wk.
  • Had pizza with good friend this wk. whom I haven't seen for past 5 months. We work for the same employer but she in a different dept.
  • Heart 3

Constructed our paver patio. Removed 6 mulberry trees. Working on my “rat roadie” project. Did a photo session last night with 2 members of a high school dance team. School was closed before the team got its photos done. Miata time when we can. 
We have dared to venture out to a few restaurants as the area is slowly opening. 

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I cut my hair into a boyish pixie. First picture taken in January. Second in March. Third this morning. An editor friend calls it the Brittany Spears school of grief management. 

D87D7744-92EC-4358-9136-2996B920291E.jpeg

DEC8A1E2-F2AA-41CE-9D66-FA9FC81BE300.jpeg

A8A45545-B4DA-4C07-9AA7-CB10192BAE37.jpeg

The short cut looks excellent on you roadsue!  It brightens your eyes and gives a lift.  Congratulations for this big move!

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

Not much. If my house had burned down a few weeks later it would, of course, be my #1 during the pandemic.

Here's my top 10, most about food:

1. Went to an 11-person pool party.

2. Spent much of a day tracking down and driving to get a "pulse oximeter" for my sister who twice nearly died of COVID-19.

3. Got a haircut.

4. Did a lot of chain sawing, using a 10" battery-powered chain saw for the first time.

5. Took Jake the 100 lb Golden Doodle for walks.

6. Studied booklets and videos and did some resistance band workouts.

7. Read books about Sous Vide Cooking and tried it for the 1st time with my new Sous Vide-capable Instant Pot.

8. Learned I can make great chicken soup (noodles cooked separately as needed) in 1 hour using an Instant Pot (23 min heat-up, 25 min hi pressure).

9. Learned Vacuum Bags keep my strawberries fresh in the fridge longer.

10. Found a great recipe for pork chops in garlic mushroom gravy - my previous preference was simply BBQ rub and bake the chops - adapted from:

Recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/269592/pork-chops-in-garlic-mushroom-sauce

No-specific-amounts video: https://www.allrecipes.com/video/10086/pork-chops-in-garlic-mushroom-sauce/

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Not much. If my house had burned down a few weeks later it would, of course, be my #1 during the pandemic.

Here's my top 10, most about food:

1. Went to an 11-person pool party.

2. Spent much of a day tracking down and driving to get a "pulse oximeter" for my sister who twice nearly died of COVID-19.

3. Got a haircut.

4. Did a lot of chain sawing, using a 10" battery-powered chain saw for the first time.

5. Took Jake the 100 lb Golden Doodle for walks.

6. Studied booklets and videos and did some resistance band workouts.

7. Read books about Sous Vide Cooking and tried it for the 1st time with my new Sous Vide-capable Instant Pot.

8. Learned I can make great chicken soup (noodles cooked separately as needed) in 1 hour using an Instant Pot (23 min heat-up, 25 min hi pressure).

9. Learned Vacuum Bags keep my strawberries fresh in the fridge longer.

10. Found a great recipe for pork chops in garlic mushroom gravy - my previous preference was simply BBQ rub and bake the chops - adapted from:

Recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/269592/pork-chops-in-garlic-mushroom-sauce

No-specific-amounts video: https://www.allrecipes.com/video/10086/pork-chops-in-garlic-mushroom-sauce/

My husband just got recertified to be a sawyer for the forest service.  :D

@jsharr 

See, boys that maintain trail.  ...

• Heart 2

I did my Ocean City Vacation at the end of May. Managed not to get sick. Drove to my parents last weekend. When I call them tonight, I hope to find that they didn’t catch anything respiratory. I’ve had a sore throat the last 3 days, but it’s getting better. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

2 years ago I bought an antique spinning wheel for WoD_P that was made in 1796 in Kentucky. Traveled with the family when they went to Texas.  Was with the same family till I got it 2 years ago. It was still in pretty good condition but needed some work to make it back into a good spinner.

For the last several months I have been researching spinning wheel restoration. Wasn't sure if it was a project I should try or send it to a professional.  2 weeks ago started working on it. No nails or screws in this wheel.  All joints were pegged with hand made pegs. Some pegs were missing and parts were very loose. Wood drive belt tension screw had the threads stripped.  Leather flyer bearings needed replacement.  I won't go into all the details how I did the repairs.  It is now finished and works great.  I still want to turn some new bobbins and speed whorls on the lathe but that is to make it more functional and not part of the restoration.  I know some of you have seen the wheel and restoration pictures on facebook and instagram.

Finished wheel.

DSCN0465.thumb.jpg.bead9236b3ee9273c81a852f8a3602b0.jpg

This picture shows the wear that the treadle got in over 200 years of use.

DSCN0466.thumb.jpg.a97069e18aa9d7c2107f42ab7ac7932f.jpg

This wheel will be used by my wife at our early 1800s reenactments.

Nice work Digi Pho

37 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I know what he does.  What do you do?  Pellets, right?  :flirtyeyess:

We use natural gas in the valley and propane down south. Up until recently, we had a wood shake roof, so we did not install our wood stove. It is still sitting in the garage and has been since 1988.  We heated with wood in both Texas and Oregon. I might add that what I saw for installations of the few wood stoves we saw when looking for houses did not impress us. One gets spoiled in the northwest where there are rules and regulations for safe operation of stoves and inserts. Our wood supply here is essentially pine and cottonwood. There is some green ash, but not enough to supply many winter's worth of heat. We had oak in Texas and pine and larch in Oregon. They delivered semi-loads of logs to our house in Oregon, as we had a large and long driveway.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 6/27/2020 at 11:07 PM, Allen said:

I was called the other day by an entomologist asking permission to come see my lighting bugs. He missed them and is going to have to wait until next year. But I did learn my population is the southernmost population of Photuris frontalis in the US. 

Just got off the phone with the entomologist again. My population of p. frontalis is actually the southern most in the world being that they are only found in the Southern US.
He wants to do dna testing to see if it can be determined when this population separated from the Tennessee population, and if it is a possible sub species. 

• Heart 2

I have reached the point where I've been putting more parts on the car than taking them off.   I broke a tooth, that was fun.  We're a little ahead of schedule on garden work.  We did get one camping trip and a few boat rides in.  I've learned a bunch about livestreaming.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:59 PM, roadsue said:

I cut my hair into a boyish pixie. First picture taken in January. Second in March. Third this morning. An editor friend calls it the Brittany Spears school of grief management. 

D87D7744-92EC-4358-9136-2996B920291E.jpeg

DEC8A1E2-F2AA-41CE-9D66-FA9FC81BE300.jpeg

A8A45545-B4DA-4C07-9AA7-CB10192BAE37.jpeg

And with each pic the hair get shorter and the smile gets bigger.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Allen said:

Just got off the phone with the entomologist again. My population of p. frontalis is actually the southern most in the world being that they are only found in the Southern US.
He wants to do dna testing to see if it can be determined when this population separated from the Tennessee population, and if it is a possible sub species. 

Tell him to the name the subspecies after us. The Square Wheeled Firefly or p. Frontalis squarewheelicus. 

• Heart 1

Speaking of lighting bugs. To me this is super cool. 
I’m at my friend’s house trying out his new smoker on some chicken on his back porch. It’s late in the season for hem, but I still have a few on my driveway, like three instead of hundreds. And that is what I’m seeing here. Occasionally 3 maybe 4 popping off at the same time. Similar environment to my driveway too. Hardwood, low undergrowth, near water. I’m about 15 miles from Springwood. 
I think I just expanded their range in my county. 

• Heart 2