Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kirby

What's the most interesting thing you've done lately?

Recommended Posts

Since all the "stay at home" orders started in March, what's the most interesting and exciting things you've done?   Have you gone on any vacations, taken day trips to places you hadn't visited before, tried new restaurants?  I know we've had at least a few vacations and some real estate happenings,   So have you spent the last few months hanging out at home or have you done something interesting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Got my hair cut & colored

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a vacation in the mountain west during pandemic. With all the precautions I took I was not perfect... so I have some concern. Going to self quarantine for two weeks. 

  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kirby said:

Since all the "stay at home" orders started in March, what's the most interesting and exciting things you've done?   Have you gone on any vacations, taken day trips to places you hadn't visited before, tried new restaurants?  I know we've had at least a few vacations and some real estate happenings,   So have you spent the last few months hanging out at home or have you done something interesting?

I risked my life by keeping a doctors appointment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Looks like you put some real blood, sweat, and tears into that Spinning Wheel!

I see what you did there. 👍

  • Awesome 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Looks like you put some real blood, sweat, and tears into that Spinning Wheel!

I think I kept (most of) my blood inside me.  Only one small scratch on a hand.  Well,  It was pretty hot so there was some sweat but no crying.  ;):lol:

  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garden center visits to keep Mr. Aire busy. 

15D77D88-6745-4991-A513-B5C3C3BE67C8.jpeg

636A186C-9DAF-4B88-B1AC-2F1B6B93978D.jpeg

DAFD0C34-B99F-42A3-A137-68A4CF495DD8.jpeg

D901162D-85A0-4714-B4A6-E9719E843E71.jpeg

62E682D2-BD5A-4CD0-97E7-6FE0AC52D55A.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

813FD375-48A9-491F-A9AA-D4CFAEF2BA88.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mountain biking daily, buying real estate, and planning a new home.  

We are pretty stocked up on excitement here.

  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Seeing certain birds first which I never noticed before...woodpecker, cedar waxwing...they will be in my next blog post release in 2 wks.
  • Wrote a longish summary email letter to good friend I lost touch last 30 years. Ever tried summarizing your life/major events in past 30 years?  THis is in response to her letter of some incredible personal life events. Response includes personal photos.  Won't be emailed until her 60th birthday at end of this wk.
  • Had pizza with good friend this wk. whom I haven't seen for past 5 months. We work for the same employer but she in a different dept.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a red tailed hawk yesterday and some deer.  Also saw a dog dragging around a tire.  

Been doing some volunteer work and have increased our membership quite a bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Constructed our paver patio. Removed 6 mulberry trees. Working on my “rat roadie” project. Did a photo session last night with 2 members of a high school dance team. School was closed before the team got its photos done. Miata time when we can. 
We have dared to venture out to a few restaurants as the area is slowly opening. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I cut my hair into a boyish pixie. First picture taken in January. Second in March. Third this morning. An editor friend calls it the Brittany Spears school of grief management. 

D87D7744-92EC-4358-9136-2996B920291E.jpeg

DEC8A1E2-F2AA-41CE-9D66-FA9FC81BE300.jpeg

A8A45545-B4DA-4C07-9AA7-CB10192BAE37.jpeg

The short cut looks excellent on you roadsue!  It brightens your eyes and gives a lift.  Congratulations for this big move!

  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much. If my house had burned down a few weeks later it would, of course, be my #1 during the pandemic.

Here's my top 10, most about food:

1. Went to an 11-person pool party.

2. Spent much of a day tracking down and driving to get a "pulse oximeter" for my sister who twice nearly died of COVID-19.

3. Got a haircut.

4. Did a lot of chain sawing, using a 10" battery-powered chain saw for the first time.

5. Took Jake the 100 lb Golden Doodle for walks.

6. Studied booklets and videos and did some resistance band workouts.

7. Read books about Sous Vide Cooking and tried it for the 1st time with my new Sous Vide-capable Instant Pot.

8. Learned I can make great chicken soup (noodles cooked separately as needed) in 1 hour using an Instant Pot (23 min heat-up, 25 min hi pressure).

9. Learned Vacuum Bags keep my strawberries fresh in the fridge longer.

10. Found a great recipe for pork chops in garlic mushroom gravy - my previous preference was simply BBQ rub and bake the chops - adapted from:

Recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/269592/pork-chops-in-garlic-mushroom-sauce

No-specific-amounts video: https://www.allrecipes.com/video/10086/pork-chops-in-garlic-mushroom-sauce/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gardening

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Not much. If my house had burned down a few weeks later it would, of course, be my #1 during the pandemic.

Here's my top 10, most about food:

1. Went to an 11-person pool party.

2. Spent much of a day tracking down and driving to get a "pulse oximeter" for my sister who twice nearly died of COVID-19.

3. Got a haircut.

4. Did a lot of chain sawing, using a 10" battery-powered chain saw for the first time.

5. Took Jake the 100 lb Golden Doodle for walks.

6. Studied booklets and videos and did some resistance band workouts.

7. Read books about Sous Vide Cooking and tried it for the 1st time with my new Sous Vide-capable Instant Pot.

8. Learned I can make great chicken soup (noodles cooked separately as needed) in 1 hour using an Instant Pot (23 min heat-up, 25 min hi pressure).

9. Learned Vacuum Bags keep my strawberries fresh in the fridge longer.

10. Found a great recipe for pork chops in garlic mushroom gravy - my previous preference was simply BBQ rub and bake the chops - adapted from:

Recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/269592/pork-chops-in-garlic-mushroom-sauce

 

No-specific-amounts video: https://www.allrecipes.com/video/10086/pork-chops-in-garlic-mushroom-sauce/

 

My husband just got recertified to be a sawyer for the forest service.  :D

@jsharr 

See, boys that maintain trail.  ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did my Ocean City Vacation at the end of May. Managed not to get sick. Drove to my parents last weekend. When I call them tonight, I hope to find that they didn’t catch anything respiratory. I’ve had a sore throat the last 3 days, but it’s getting better. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

2 years ago I bought an antique spinning wheel for WoD_P that was made in 1796 in Kentucky. Traveled with the family when they went to Texas.  Was with the same family till I got it 2 years ago. It was still in pretty good condition but needed some work to make it back into a good spinner.

For the last several months I have been researching spinning wheel restoration. Wasn't sure if it was a project I should try or send it to a professional.  2 weeks ago started working on it. No nails or screws in this wheel.  All joints were pegged with hand made pegs. Some pegs were missing and parts were very loose. Wood drive belt tension screw had the threads stripped.  Leather flyer bearings needed replacement.  I won't go into all the details how I did the repairs.  It is now finished and works great.  I still want to turn some new bobbins and speed whorls on the lathe but that is to make it more functional and not part of the restoration.  I know some of you have seen the wheel and restoration pictures on facebook and instagram.

Finished wheel.

DSCN0465.thumb.jpg.bead9236b3ee9273c81a852f8a3602b0.jpg

This picture shows the wear that the treadle got in over 200 years of use.

DSCN0466.thumb.jpg.a97069e18aa9d7c2107f42ab7ac7932f.jpg

This wheel will be used by my wife at our early 1800s reenactments.

Nice work Digi Pho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@roadsue, you haircut looks wonderful. 

  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roadsue said:

I cut my hair into a boyish pixie. First picture taken in January. Second in March. Third this morning. An editor friend calls it the Brittany Spears school of grief management. 

D87D7744-92EC-4358-9136-2996B920291E.jpeg

DEC8A1E2-F2AA-41CE-9D66-FA9FC81BE300.jpeg

A8A45545-B4DA-4C07-9AA7-CB10192BAE37.jpeg

Brains and beauty, not fair.

  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I cleaned bed pans and changed bedding a lot. I do laundry every day, cook a lot of meals and do a lot of dishes.

Your avatar is very well suited.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I cleaned bed pans and changed bedding a lot. I do laundry every day, cook a lot of meals and do a lot of dishes.

Yeah but I bet you don't cut firewood. :runcirclsmiley:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah but I bet you don't cut firewood. :runcirclsmiley:

Natalie delivered a roll off load of firewood last week. It needs moved to the shed.

  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah but I bet you don't cut firewood. :runcirclsmiley:

What he doesn't do is burn those damn pellets!!:whistle:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

What he doesn't do is burn those damn pellets!!:whistle:

Alright. I'm biting. What do you use for the primary heat source? Gas? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Alright. I'm biting. What do you use for the primary heat source? Gas? 

He burns wood in a furnace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

He burns wood in a furnace.

I know what he does.  What do you do?  Pellets, right?  :flirtyeyess:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I know what he does.  What do you do?  Pellets, right?  :flirtyeyess:

We use natural gas in the valley and propane down south. Up until recently, we had a wood shake roof, so we did not install our wood stove. It is still sitting in the garage and has been since 1988.  We heated with wood in both Texas and Oregon. I might add that what I saw for installations of the few wood stoves we saw when looking for houses did not impress us. One gets spoiled in the northwest where there are rules and regulations for safe operation of stoves and inserts. Our wood supply here is essentially pine and cottonwood. There is some green ash, but not enough to supply many winter's worth of heat. We had oak in Texas and pine and larch in Oregon. They delivered semi-loads of logs to our house in Oregon, as we had a large and long driveway.

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 11:07 PM, Allen said:

I was called the other day by an entomologist asking permission to come see my lighting bugs. He missed them and is going to have to wait until next year. But I did learn my population is the southernmost population of Photuris frontalis in the US. 

Just got off the phone with the entomologist again. My population of p. frontalis is actually the southern most in the world being that they are only found in the Southern US.
He wants to do dna testing to see if it can be determined when this population separated from the Tennessee population, and if it is a possible sub species. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have reached the point where I've been putting more parts on the car than taking them off.   I broke a tooth, that was fun.  We're a little ahead of schedule on garden work.  We did get one camping trip and a few boat rides in.  I've learned a bunch about livestreaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 12:59 PM, roadsue said:

I cut my hair into a boyish pixie. First picture taken in January. Second in March. Third this morning. An editor friend calls it the Brittany Spears school of grief management. 

D87D7744-92EC-4358-9136-2996B920291E.jpeg

DEC8A1E2-F2AA-41CE-9D66-FA9FC81BE300.jpeg

A8A45545-B4DA-4C07-9AA7-CB10192BAE37.jpeg

And with each pic the hair get shorter and the smile gets bigger.

 

  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing much here. Built a bunch of bicycle wheels, converted a cargo trailer into a camper , and I’m about a third of the way through Ugly Bob’s second book and that’s pretty interesting.

  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allen said:

Just got off the phone with the entomologist again. My population of p. frontalis is actually the southern most in the world being that they are only found in the Southern US.
He wants to do dna testing to see if it can be determined when this population separated from the Tennessee population, and if it is a possible sub species. 

Tell him to the name the subspecies after us. The Square Wheeled Firefly or p. Frontalis squarewheelicus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Tell him to the name the subspecies after us. The Square Wheeled Firefly or p. Frontalis squarewheelicus. 

I don’t know if I get to name it or not. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of lighting bugs. To me this is super cool. 
I’m at my friend’s house trying out his new smoker on some chicken on his back porch. It’s late in the season for hem, but I still have a few on my driveway, like three instead of hundreds. And that is what I’m seeing here. Occasionally 3 maybe 4 popping off at the same time. Similar environment to my driveway too. Hardwood, low undergrowth, near water. I’m about 15 miles from Springwood. 
I think I just expanded their range in my county. 
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The display is over. It lasted about the same length of time as mine. I need to net a few, and do a morphological comparison. P. frontalis has a slight humpback that is supposed to be distinctive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how common they may be but no one pays attention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...