Quote of the Day: Ambrose Bierce

Inspiration Bot

I'd love this explained to me.

I find the opposite to be true - that doubt prevents "invention", and it is hope and belief that drive folks on once they see the opportunity for something new.

Unless, maybe it is "other people" doubting something can be done and then a person comes along and proves them all wrong???

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I find the opposite to be true - that doubt prevents "invention", and it is hope and belief that drive folks on once they see the opportunity for something new.

Unless, maybe it is "other people" doubting something can be done and then a person comes along and proves them all wrong???

Hallmark cards don't need reason.  A word generator program could be primed to produce them.  Inspiration bot used to work for them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You don't understand because you are a greedy little gnat. I hope that helps.

I thought is was. "Curiosity is the mother of invention."

That makes more sense.

There are a lot of quotes that paint things like "doubt" as the obstacle to progress.

My high school track meeting room had a poster butcher's Vince Lombardi's quote that read, "Quitters never win because winners never quit."

My nephew's bathroom wall has letters glued on it saying, "Yes I can."

He had doubt's about college but that positive, "Sure I can" attitude is real.

He didn't like college, decided to take a break, and got a job on the loading dock for Amazon at BWI Airport, which his mother figured would soon lead him to go back to college.  He's been there two months - with two weeks lost to COVID-19 - and he's been promoted twice already and is supervising loading and unloading.  It helps to be smart and responsible in addition to being a 6'+, broad shouldered, former high school defensive end and tight end people tend to listen to.

Maybe he has invented his way to success and may have Amazon pay for him to go to college at night for an MBA - his mother's job and pension would pay for 4 years of collage at about $30,000/year - half the Johns Hopkins U tuition - if he wanted to go full time.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

And, you, sir, are no Thomas A Edison!  From now on, you should only be known as DonPow!  You don't get the privilege of using a middle initial!

"Serial killers only have two names. Ever notice that? But lone assassins always have three. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald..."

— Jerry Fletcher

• 11 months later...