We have a signed bid.

Dirtyhip

What home do you like best?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What home do you like best?

• https://markstewart.com/house-plans/cottage-house-plans/farm-640-heritage/
    • https://www.eplans.com/plan/1275-square-feet-2-bedroom-2-00-bathroom-0-garage-sp166139
    • https://www.eplans.com/plan/864-square-feet-2-bedroom-2-00-bathroom-0-garage-sp174940

I don't typically like contemporary  builds but I think the third one gives you lots of flexible space and seems like it would blend in nicely with the location.  It could be inexpensive or very expensive depending on what you use for building materials.

Having just built a house that started with online plans, my advice is to consult with an architect.  It was worth every cent we paid him to have in person discussion about our wants, needs, and preferences.  He made several changes to the plans.  Each change he made added greatly to our enjoyment of living in the new house.

• Heart 2

signed bid? Accepted offer?  Congratulations

There is only so much you can do with 1000 SF. The 1275 plan just added SF to the Great room. I like the Farm house. Mark Stewart does a lot of Portland area plans. His will be easily buildable in Oregon

The 640 isolates the master bath to the owners with guest access to the bath near the guest bedroom.  The latter bath is most likely to be used in a general manner from the great room.  I like that.

Guests will have to duck out of their bedroom to use that bath, but one has to decide in that size house how much accommodation is being made for guests.  In my life that spare bedroom would promptly become an office and studio.

Access to the bathroom is an easily modified option.  This is one of the reasons that I highly suggest you take the plans to an architect before you build.  I like all of this but the bathrooms.  Or I like the kitchens in this plan but like everything else in this plan.  Don't pay big bucks to buy complete plans online until you take the available drawings and chat with an architect.  You might end up with a blend of all three.  You might end up with the farmhouse.  You might end up with a sliding double door bath.  Who knows?  You want to make sure you see yourself living there.  One of the first things the architect asks us was how often did we have overnight guests--- not that often.  With that in mind, we made the hallway to the basement slightly wider and the guest room slightly smaller.  It was a good call because the place where the dogs converge at full speed to run down to their crates now works perfectly--- in our first plan it would have felt crowded.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The 640 isolates the master bath to the owners with guest access to the bath near the guest bedroom.  The latter bath is most likely to be used in a general manner from the great room.  I like that.

Guests will have to duck out of their bedroom to use that bath, but one has to decide in that size house how much accommodation is being made for guests.  In my life that spare bedroom would promptly become an office and studio.

good point-- they can call the rooms anything but how will you use them?  This is why Petite has a den that is really an exercise room.  Still on my soap box of talking to an architect

I like the farmhouse of the layout and because it looks like a lot less time is needed to keep it looking pretty.

Like Airehead, the bathroom locations bother me a little - a lot on the modern house - they're not the easiest to find for people partying in the backyard.

Off the top of my head, if that's the TV where the pic with the two sets of legs are in the farmhouse, a bright fireplace and the non-shaded glare from the door's windows and side windows seems awful. It would go better on the opposite wall and the table near it would need to go elsewhere.

Finally, where will your laundry room be?  Mine is in my basement and, turning 70 in October, friends and relatives have urged me to get it put on the 1st floor when the house is rebuilt.  I've got a while to think about it.

12 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Finally, where will your laundry room be?  Mine is in my basement and, turning 70 in October, friends and relatives have urged me to get it put on the 1st floor when the house is rebuilt.  I've got a while to think about it.

the laundry is a stacked set in a closet. It's a one level home 

• Heart 1

Just now, Airehead said:

so one level built on a cement pad?

Most of Oregon is Post & Beam with a crawl space. Very little slab construction here. A few people are sealing the crawl & heating/cooling it. Can control "bad" aire a bit better. But most volume builders don't do that because it's a bit involved

• Heart 2

23 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I have altered three of the houses we have had to put the laundry upstairs. Did that to our son’s house as well. Carrying baskets of laundry up and down steps sucks. I don’t think DH is planning on a basement.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

No home shall be built, and no windows installed without first consulting with @AirwickWithCheese.

I sent him a text.  He responded and said he was on his way to prison but thought he would be paroled on Thursday.

17 hours ago, Scrapr said:

I was going to go with permit lady. But maybe @AirwickWithCheese supersedes permit lady?

They belong to the same club.  @tybeegb. could tell us if the permit lady looks like a middle aged man.

17 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Couch can hook you up with someone who will sell you $24,000 windows.

I suspect he will get a comission.

• Haha 1

Here is one that may work.  It's a ranch design so I'd assume the roof could be a truss roof to save on cost.

I'm not liking the bathroom door location.    But, you could move the bathroom door (top left bathroom) into bedroom 1 to make a master bath.  You could also use part of the porch and a large closet for the master bedroom.

You could bump out the entire wall of the front of the of the house (not just half of it) for the garage to make the garage bigger.

https://www.houseplans.net/floorplans/52600012/ranch-plan-1030-square-feet-2-bedrooms-1.5-bathrooms

Ranch House Plan #526-00012 Elevation Photo

Floorplan 1 for House Plan #526-00012