Barbecue sauce

Parsnip Totin Jack

7 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

I've been trying to make my own sauce for a while, but haven't found an amazing recipe.  Do you have any suggestions?

Edit: I like the ones from restaurants that have bourbon or beer.

That’s a tough question because there are so many styles of barbecue sauce. The one I made has beer. I’ll post the recipe later. It’s from Jane Butel’s Barberque book. I’ve been making this sauce for 40 years. The recipe calls for white wine but who drinks white wine with barbecue? You could play with ingredients and add a few tablespoons bourbon and thin with water. 

3 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

That’s a tough question because there are so many styles of barbecue sauce. The one I made has beer. I’ll post the recipe later. It’s from Jane Butel’s Barberque book. I’ve been making this sauce for 40 years. The recipe calls for white wine but who drinks white wine with barbecue? You could play with ingredients and add a few tablespoons bourbon and thin with water. 

I do not like wine in any sauce.  I am glad you realized this and used beer instead.

Seems like every barbecue pit and pit master has his or her own type of rub and sauce.  Not sure Texas has a sauce like Kansas City or Memphis.

I like a tomato based sauce with a bit of spice to it and not too much sweetness.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/a-texas-barbecue-sauce-taste-test/

Sounds excellent and I'm jealous.  I have a simpler one that's surely not as good but excellent and quick to make.  An old book I had included a recipe for "Mississippi BBQ Sauce" and it's so much better than store-bought sauces that I always make it for ribs and often for chicken. Cut and pasted from my recipe files:

Mississippi BBQ Sauce (& Mickey's Variation)

I saw this in a grilling book.  It's so good on pork or chicken I don't like store-bought BBQ sauces anymore.  This will virtually drown 2 lbs of ribs.

Ingredients

4 tbsp ketchup

4 tbsp sugar (2 tbsp works fine for me)

2 tbsp cider vinegar (1.5 tbsp if a little thicker is desired)

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (1.5 tbsp if a little thicker is desired)

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp dry Italian seasoning

Optional: Cayenne Pepper (a pea size will kick it up a notch without making it hot)

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients together, stirring until all the brown sugar dissolves (heat brick-hard brown sugar for short periods in a microwave to soften).

2. If applying to baked ribs, chicken, chops, etc. place it on in the last 10 minutes after the last time you turn the meat to avoid burning it.

3. With ribs, serve a bowl of sauce at the table for those wanting extra.

26 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Sounds excellent and I'm jealous.  I have a simpler one that's surely not as good but excellent and quick to make.  An old book I had included a recipe for "Mississippi BBQ Sauce" and it's so much better than store-bought sauces that I always make it for ribs and often for chicken. Cut and pasted from my recipe files:

Mississippi BBQ Sauce (& Mickey's Variation)

I saw this in a grilling book.  It's so good on pork or chicken I don't like store-bought BBQ sauces anymore.  This will virtually drown 2 lbs of ribs.

Ingredients

4 tbsp ketchup

4 tbsp sugar (2 tbsp works fine for me)

2 tbsp cider vinegar (1.5 tbsp if a little thicker is desired)

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (1.5 tbsp if a little thicker is desired)

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp dry Italian seasoning

Optional: Cayenne Pepper (a pea size will kick it up a notch without making it hot)

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients together, stirring until all the brown sugar dissolves (heat brick-hard brown sugar for short periods in a microwave to soften).

2. If applying to baked ribs, chicken, chops, etc. place it on in the last 10 minutes after the last time you turn the meat to avoid burning it.

3. With ribs, serve a bowl of sauce at the table for those wanting extra.

If you want a thicker sauce but do not want to cut back on spices or flavorings, just add a bit of corn starch to thicken the sauce.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Seems like every barbecue pit and pit master has his or her own type of rub and sauce.  Not sure Texas has a sauce like Kansas City or Memphis.

I like a tomato based sauce with a bit of spice to it and not too much sweetness.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/a-texas-barbecue-sauce-taste-test/

Down here we have three kinds of sauces, they are named after states. Georgia is sweet and brown, South Carolina is a mustard base, and North Carolina is a vinegar base. Each BBQ joint will have their own variation of each if they have all three. Otherwise they have Georgia sauce with different verities of heat. 
Rubs come in Louisiana and Texas versions. And brisket rubs and mopping sauces are almost invariably dark and have the word Texas written on the label. 

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, Allen said:

Down here we have three kinds of sauces, they are named after states. Georgia is sweet and brown, South Carolina is a mustard base, and North Carolina is a vinegar base. Each BBQ joint will have their own variation of each if they have all three. Otherwise they have Georgia sauce with different verities of heat. 
Rubs come in Louisiana and Texas versions. And brisket rubs and mopping sauces are almost invariably dark and have the word Texas written on the label. 

Thanks for the reminder. I need to make a mopping sauce for the brisket.

• Heart 1

I started with a KC rub recipe I found online. I liked it, but I wanted to cut down the salt a bit. I was missing a couple ingredients and didn’t want to run to the store. It was just for WoW and me and I wanted a savory note. I added a couple scoops of medium roast coffee that I ground to medium/fine and added to the spices. It really worked well on the ribs! I’m going to smoke some more this weekend and see if I can make lightning strike twice! I haven’t gotten too far into sauces, yet. A semi spicy semisweet tomato based sauce is good for dipping. 

• Heart 1