Give it a try

Square Wheels

34 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I agree. I'd love to see expanded entrepreneurial efforts to help us live cruelty free. Producing tasty plant-based (but endocrine disrupter free) protein substitutes seems wide open for invention. 

Highly speculative market - but if you look at market cap for Tysons (a BEHEMOTH) vs Beyond Meat (a niche!), it is basically twice the smaller almost rounding error sized company.  Sure, the stock market is ridiculous and makes no "real" sense, but the market is saying that the future is things like Beyond Meat, and not factory farming.  But they also say Tesla ($199B) is the future, not GM (36B) or Ford (24B), so who knows :scratchhead:

image.png.ae1e58a5775291ecdcb6155562378598.png

image.png.bdbec250c779abb36ea7021ddcac14bf.png

My daughter has been GF for about a decade now (actual allergy not her choice) and she really doesn’t miss out on much anymore.  

As for vegetarian stuff, I think I’d rather eat a grilled portobello cap burger than a processed veg patty but that’s just me. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

the market is saying that the future is things like Beyond Meat, and not factory farming. 

The recent downturn in Tyson might be due to a HUGE decline in production and sale of food service products since March, like university campus food service that stopped taking delivery of massive amounts of factory grown chicken. Beyond Meat is in every local grocery here in ABQ, and 35,000 others according to their website. My local Sprout's stocks a few more plant-based meat substitutes also. 

Yesterday the road family was talking about community renewal instead of policing in the neighborhood where #1 has been living. It's known as the war zone in spite of city public campaign to brand it the International District, and has had a three-fold increase in the number of police assigned to the area in the last few years. Defunding police without community building would impact this neighborhood. Anyway, ABQ could take a lesson from Detroit communities that revitalized by creating green spaces and urban gardens, which would change the food landscape in the area, give people jobs, supply numerous International foods restaurants in the neighborhood as well as new vegan restaurants, and restore deep roots into farming culture that characterize the older generations and immigrants who live there. Lots of investment opportunity!

Why deprive wheat protein - gluten - from the 97% of people that don't have Celiac Disease?

Isn't that like saying, "Don't eat tomatoes or green beans or celery because there are people who are allergic to them"?

Emerging evidence shows that gluten avoidance may be beneficial for some patients with gastrointestinal symptoms, such as those commonly encountered with irritable bowel syndrome. However, high-quality evidence supporting gluten avoidance for physical symptoms or diseases other than those specifically known to be caused by immune-mediated responses to gluten is neither robust nor convincing. In fact, gluten avoidance may be associated with adverse effects in patients without proven gluten-related diseases.

Source: National Institutes of Health, Feb. 2018, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5866307/

In a 2017 study of over 100,000 participants without celiac disease, researchers found no association between long-term dietary gluten consumption and heart disease risk. In fact, the findings also suggested that non-celiac individuals who avoid gluten may increase their risk of heart disease, due to the potential for reduced consumption of whole grains.

Source: Harvard \School of Public Health, https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/gluten/

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

Why deprive wheat protein - gluten - from the 97% of people that don't have Celiac Disease?

I think he was as much including the meat-free as the gluten-free.  He happens to be both as a GF vegan, and seemingy, the video he posted was 100% about meat and 0% about gluten.

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Why deprive wheat protein -

Wheat production is hella damaging to the earth and waterways because of the amount of pesticides required for the scale of farming it. And US grain/seed companies have spread their high-yield gmo seeds across the globe to feed our ever expanding populations so that now everybody’s living the pesticide effects. A cruelty free life asks for something different. 

10 hours ago, roadsue said:

I agree. I'd love to see expanded entrepreneurial efforts to help us live cruelty free. Producing tasty plant-based (but endocrine disrupter free) protein substitutes seems wide open for invention. 

But the real thing is tasty and good for you, plus it isn't all wheat and crap byproducts.

3 hours ago, roadsue said:

Wheat production is hella damaging to the earth and waterways because of the amount of pesticides required for the scale of farming it. And US grain/seed companies have spread their high-yield gmo seeds across the globe to feed our ever expanding populations so that now everybody’s living the pesticide effects. A cruelty free life asks for something different. 

The amount of work, and the mixed results, in my little garden have really made me look at the farm fields much closer.

The corn standing tall and proud is beautiful, but I never noticed all the spray equipment before, and I wonder what comes out those nozzles

The Covid may be taking care of all those mouth's to feed ...

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

But the real thing is tasty and good for you, plus it isn't all wheat and crap byproducts.

And the video demonstrated that the same is true or, if you want to argue, getting "truer" rapidly. 

12 hours ago, roadsue said:

To some degree, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing.  Feed the masses (using GMO and massive amounts of land, water, and pesticides) or don't feed the masses (and settle for constant waves of starvation and a high cost in human pain).  GMOs might just be kicking the can allowing Earth to support 10 billion instead of 5 billion folks, but even things like the rampant waste in rich countries & loss from the supply chain are huge contributors to the problems facing a global food system.

@Razors Edge for sure. And the vegan cruelty free argument breaks down when extended beyond animals to the exploitation of humans, a necessary element of capitalism and increasing profits. It’s old news in the vegan world that exports of quinoa to North America and expanding palm plantations in Pacific rim nations have a high human cost. But, vegan companies gotta make those Benjamins. And we all need to give cruelty free a try!

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

And the video demonstrated that the same is true or, if you want to argue, getting "truer" rapidly. 

I didn't watch, the title pretty much said whatever was within would be heavily tilted toward one side or another, plus I fucking hate watching or hearing people eat.

Meat is good, meat is fine.  Veggies are good, veggies are fine.  There is a misery cost no matter which route you go.

5 hours ago, roadsue said:

@Razors Edge for sure. And the vegan cruelty free argument breaks down when extended beyond animals to the exploitation of humans, a necessary element of capitalism and increasing profits. It’s old news in the vegan world that exports of quinoa to North America and expanding palm plantations in Pacific rim nations have a high human cost. But, vegan companies gotta make those Benjamins. And we all need to give cruelty free a try!

Reducing cruelty is obviously a GREAT thing.  Some "fixes" are easier than others. Some "fixes" are only better overall but also carry their own negative costs.  Some "fixes" turn out to be worse than the original problem.  Regardless, though, we go with what we see as the best options at the time, and the impact of quinoa farming or the clearing of forests for more palm oil are some of those negative costs, but also can't be laid at the feet of vegans solely or mainly.  

I'm a fan of the let's start weaning folks off their addiction to meat. That's an "easy" win for reduction of suffering (animal and human) and a win for health (human and the Earth).  We can keep working towards loftier goals, but its a shame we'd let a focus on those tough ones block us from the easy but high result yielding ones.

I don't eat a lot of meat already, but I see zero reason to try to pretend my vegetables are meat.  I eat plenty of really delicious veggie and vegan dishes as they.  As for Gluten, there's absolutely no reason to avoid it for about 99% of people, that's just a fad with no scientific support.  Just like the OMG GMO fad it replaced.

I did have a hoagie for lunch today, full of processed meat.  It was free.  Doing my part for WaWa's Welcome America celebration.  Times are tough, we all make sacrifices.